Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-11, 06:03 PM   #73
Yaboze

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

It's running well here, no stutter so far and no major pop-ins, only if I turn really fast can I tell something is going on with some of the objects.

The textures are a bit blurry, IMHO, but it runs very well. I am using 270.61's.

I'm finding it very fun and has a good feel to it. I almost want to say it seems a little washed out but I dunno if that's the style of it.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:32 PM   #74
bacon12

So I will buy this game in exactly four days. When I do it better be patched and working great or I keel JC.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:49 PM   #75
AngelGraves13

This is the worst looking game of 2011. It looks about the same as DOOM 3, if not worse.

Mouse control is awkward because Mouse Smoothing is enabled by default. Also, the menus have Mouse Acceleration, which I hate.

DOOM 3 had better lighting than RAGE, and the lighting in DOOM 3 wasn't all that impressive (by today's standards).

I'm extremely disappointed in id Software. I've lost all faith in this company. I'm not even looking forward to DOOM 4 on id Tech 5. id Tech 5 is a joke. id Tech 4 looks better.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:52 PM   #76
Yaboze

Yeah, the mouse acceleration on the menus is annoying.
Old 10-04-11, 07:13 PM   #77
AngelGraves13

The game so far is nothing special. I wasn't as wowed as I was with Crysis 2.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 07:18 PM   #78
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
The game so far is nothing special. I wasn't as wowed as I was with Crysis 2.
If you are expecting better graphics than Crysis 2, then you will undoubtedly be disappointed. I don't think that this game was trying to achieve that.

I don't think this game is just jaw dropping gorgeous either, I think that PC gamers got a little screwed with low res textures. But then again, I think that a patch and new drivers will help big time, just gotta wait for them.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 07:55 PM   #79
Beavermatic

Damn... the game got some pretty amazing reviews:

IGN's teamXbox gives it a 9.5/10

Game Informer gives a 9/10

The Escapist a 4.5 out of 5

Computer and video games (CVG) gives a impressive 8.9/10

DigitalTrends gives a 9/10, honoring the length of the game and content

IGN ironically, unlike their teamXbox division, gives it a great score 8.5/10 for ps3, giving it their editors choice award (and they are hard to impress, lol)

RipTen gaming gives it 9.5/10

UGO gives it a fantastic "A-" score

EGM.com (electronicgamingmonthly) praises RAGE and delivers a 9.5/10

1up.com give it a very nice "B" score

3dJuegos gives it a strong 91/100

Spanish gaming behemoth Maristation.com gives it a 9/10

Machinimas "insidegaming" portal gives it a 90/100

Ausgamers gives it a 90/100

Gametrailers.com gives a 90/100 as well

IncGamers giving it a 90/100

VoodooExtreme (one of my fav's) gives it another 9.5/10

Attack of the really devoted fan.com gives it a perfect score rating of "Loved it!"

UK's theGuardian gives it a nice 4/5

PushToStart.com gives it a 4.5/5

DigitalSpy gives it another 4/5

TheGamersHubs gives another 4/5

G4tv says its a definite win at 4/5

VideoGameWriters.com says its a definete "must buy"

CNET gives it an "extremely favorable" review

Gamespot gives it a great review at 8/10

Blast gives it a "B"

Gamepro gives a 4/5

VGrevolution gives it a 8.6/10

PC Gamer gives an 84 (and thats with the texture glitches considered, very impressive!)

And though its hard to find a numerical score or star rating on editorial articles, The pittsburgh post gives it a 9/10

I bought all three to see differences and stuff... consoles run and look like a dream... simply stunning what carmack can do even with 6 year old console hardware. I think maybe their attention was focused to that a bit too much... my PC version runs great on my i7 2600k / gtx580 system... but they do have a few texture/graphics issue to resolve.

The game itself is just 'effin amazing... very well done as far as content, vehicle, gameplay, increbily awesome AI and models, etc.. I'd give it a 9.5/10 on console, and 9/10 on PC until they can get some of the crashing/texture glitches resolved.
Beavermatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 08:03 PM   #80
Sean_W

Well, basically that's that game devs do, they write their engine for consoles to take advantage of them. The reason why the textures look so lo quality is because they cannot be bothered to make them high for the PC(doubling the texture size for the PC version is fine assuming it's done for all textures).

Quake Wars had better texture quality and that uses an early version of megatexture and used a modified Doom3 engine. The game looks cool but not as good as it should or could have and Carmack probably spent 4 years optimising the crap out of it for the consoles.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-11, 08:37 PM   #81
ArrowMk84

So far the game play is alright, but nothing exceptional. The textures really need some work - some look excellent, but others are extremely bland or low detail.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 09:15 PM   #82
Yaboze

I'm digging it, press F5 often (quicksave). The autosaves are fail.

Textures are crap, oh well. I was climbing up a ladder and looking at the wall and it felt like 90's 3dfx time.
Old 10-04-11, 10:29 PM   #83
Destroy

Oh yay, a 360 game for my PC again.

I'll pass.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 10:45 PM   #84
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well, basically that's that game devs do, they write their engine for consoles to take advantage of them. The reason why the textures look so lo quality is because they cannot be bothered to make them high for the PC(doubling the texture size for the PC version is fine assuming it's done for all textures).

Quake Wars had better texture quality and that uses an early version of megatexture and used a modified Doom3 engine. The game looks cool but not as good as it should or could have and Carmack probably spent 4 years optimising the crap out of it for the consoles.
I don't think you understand how megatexture works... The game is already 22 gigabytes with the textures it has now. The problem is, they wanted to do a big open world driving game with lots of area, which is the worst possible case for megatexture. Q4 was fine because it was fairly small closed levels for MP playing, not a huge open world.

Can you imagine how big this game would be if they just doubled the texture quality from whatever it is now?(looks like 256x256 on average) Four times the size. You're talking a 80GB game. No one could sell that. Many people don't even have enough HDD space for that. Its a failure of the tech they decided to use, for the type of game they decided to make. It doesn't have anything to do with consoles, you couldn't release the game with better textures, it would just be too big. Thats megatexture, waste a ton of space for unique textures, trading pretty much everything for more unique textures.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote