Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-11, 11:29 PM   #85
Sean_W

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

Well, megatexture is ideal for this type of game because it's one big texture on the terrain or any open world game for that matter. If texture storage size is an issue then they wouldn't be coming up with such tech and it's pointless making it if the texture is low quality.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:37 PM   #86
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

I'm having a great time with game. It'll be even more enjoyable when someone puts out a mod to make the game look even better.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:41 PM   #87
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I don't think you understand how megatexture works... The game is already 22 gigabytes with the textures it has now. The problem is, they wanted to do a big open world driving game with lots of area, which is the worst possible case for megatexture. Q4 was fine because it was fairly small closed levels for MP playing, not a huge open world.

Can you imagine how big this game would be if they just doubled the texture quality from whatever it is now?(looks like 256x256 on average) Four times the size. You're talking a 80GB game. No one could sell that. Many people don't even have enough HDD space for that. Its a failure of the tech they decided to use, for the type of game they decided to make. It doesn't have anything to do with consoles, you couldn't release the game with better textures, it would just be too big. Thats megatexture, waste a ton of space for unique textures, trading pretty much everything for more unique textures.
I totally agree. I wish they would just give up on that failed idea and use regular textures.

I'll still get the game this weekend but I won't stare at the walls too hard. Hopefully the gameplay makes up for it.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:43 PM   #88
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Can't remember such a bad year for games.

Deus Ex HR - Stuttering bug, took them weeks to fix. Haven't even bothered completing it yet.

Dead Island - Dev Island

Rage - Woeful issues

...what's next?

Battlefield 3 - Crappy battlelog, no real squad system and a buggy POS

So disillusioned with the whole thing right now. The only headaches worth paying for are those that come in a bottle.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:52 PM   #89
Sean_W

Just play Crysis and Crysis warhead maxed out with commands for quality and I'll soon forget all those bad console ports.

The Witcher 2, awesome but I disagree about BF3, we've yet to experience that full force.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 12:16 AM   #90
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Can't remember such a bad year for games.
It's been a great year for gaming, you're just playing the wrong games.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 12:23 AM   #91
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

how about some pics dudes...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 12:49 AM   #92
jlippo

There's some tweaks possible with .cfg file, cannot wait to get my dirty hands on this one. (especially after some modding.)
http://www.gamepur.com/news/5615-rag...-settings.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I don't think you understand how megatexture works... The game is already 22 gigabytes with the textures it has now. The problem is, they wanted to do a big open world driving game with lots of area, which is the worst possible case for megatexture. Q4 was fine because it was fairly small closed levels for MP playing, not a huge open world.

Can you imagine how big this game would be if they just doubled the texture quality from whatever it is now?(looks like 256x256 on average) Four times the size. You're talking a 80GB game. No one could sell that. Many people don't even have enough HDD space for that. Its a failure of the tech they decided to use, for the type of game they decided to make. It doesn't have anything to do with consoles, you couldn't release the game with better textures, it would just be too big. Thats megatexture, waste a ton of space for unique textures, trading pretty much everything for more unique textures.
Actually it wouldn't necessarely use that much more storage space, they have quite nice little 'optimization' that checks areas where player can go and decreases resolution of stored textures further away.

What they should have done is increase the possible resolution where player can get very close to objects and with double the space we might have got 4-8 times the texel density on places where it really matters.
IE. huge environments where you would mostly be driving would be with same textures, but city areas and such near players head would get better textures.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-11, 12:57 AM   #93
jlippo

double post
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 01:14 AM   #94
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
double post
reported
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 01:32 AM   #95
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
There's some tweaks possible with .cfg file, cannot wait to get my dirty hands on this one. (especially after some modding.)
http://www.gamepur.com/news/5615-rag...-settings.html

Actually it wouldn't necessarely use that much more storage space, they have quite nice little 'optimization' that checks areas where player can go and decreases resolution of stored textures further away.

What they should have done is increase the possible resolution where player can get very close to objects and with double the space we might have got 4-8 times the texel density on places where it really matters.
IE. huge environments where you would mostly be driving would be with same textures, but city areas and such near players head would get better textures.
From what I've read, carmack is already doing that to some extent. They use higher/lower compression and quality in places you are close to vs far away stuff you can't get to. Personally I just think megatexture is overkill, like swinging a sledgehammer at a problem you could have fixed by swinging a little harder with your normal hammer. I understand the need/want for unique textures, but using them everywhere is kind of ridiculous. Real life isn't like that, you couldn't tell one sheet of plywood or roofing tin from another. A typical red brick wall looks like any other. An asphalt road looks pretty much the same throughout, concrete walls all look the same pretty much, and I could go on, I think devs just need to try harder at using more unique textures the normal way, rather than taking the easy way out and using textures you've already made over again. Making everything unique is re-inventing the wheel when you just needed more wheels.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 01:48 AM   #96
Muppet

Got confirmation that my copy has shipped. It will be here tomorrow for our release day. No matter what anyone says, i'm looking at this game with an open mind.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote