Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-11, 08:00 PM   #25
grey_1

Default Re: John Carmack: Developing RAGE for consoles was a big mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
That's stupid, those Doom 3 pics are with a texture pack, and the Rage shot appears to be a crop of only a portion of the screen. Plus I don't think that texture pack shown was out in 2005 as it says, so its a totally false comparison.
It's a false comparison, but the textures themselves aren't the only area this game is hurting.

Compare it to another made for console game like Dead Space 2. DS2s textures are nothing to write home about, but the overall art direction and visuals in so many parts of the game are just breath taking, so much the textures don't even really matter.

Rage doesn't have that - the hospital, if you've gotten there yet, is a great example. It. Is. Horrible.

The game play is the saving grace here - I'm having a blast in spite of the visuals.

I just keep telling myself it's Fallout's dumb and ugly kid brother.
Old 10-05-11, 08:47 PM   #26
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
It's a false comparison, but the textures themselves aren't the only area this game is hurting.

Compare it to another made for console game like Dead Space 2. DS2s textures are nothing to write home about, but the overall art direction and visuals in so many parts of the game are just breath taking, so much the textures don't even really matter.

Rage doesn't have that - the hospital, if you've gotten there yet, is a great example. It. Is. Horrible.

The game play is the saving grace here - I'm having a blast in spite of the visuals.

I just keep telling myself it's Fallout's dumb and ugly kid brother.
Yeah that comparison is fake, but, it does actually compare one thing, lighting. All the lighting in rage on megatexture stuff is pre-baked, Doom3s big thing was the real time lighting.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 09:25 PM   #27
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Yeah ID now go sit on the retard bus with epic.

Valve is the only true developer left.
Exactly how I feel seeing this sophomore BS come from John Carmack. He should have been teaching his child to love playing games on PC instead of that retard plastic box with ****ty computer parts inside older than grey's underwear. Seriously next year smart phones will be more powerful than the 360.

Really you wanna write to the hardware on PC? How can one man loose the lore and respect of 30 something gamers everywhere so fast.

Move to Durham and code for Epic now. I heard they were gonna make cool flash games on UE now. Wouldn't that be a great way for you to retire.

Let down of the year, on the tech issues alone. The gameplay rip by Ars makes me not want to buy it now. I haven't read a review for a big game like this in years.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 10:05 PM   #28
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I really want to hear what id has to say about all of this. Honestly. I think they need to give us some answers about this release. The game is pretty darn fun, but the low res textures and texture popping is just inexcusable. With all the testing they've "done" on different PCs, this should have been a huge red flag.

I'm really hoping that NVIDIA gets some new drivers out soon and id can patch the game with some better textures. Heck, are there high-res textures even on our PCs now, just not enabled?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 03:15 AM   #29
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I really want to hear what id has to say about all of this. Honestly. I think they need to give us some answers about this release.
Watch Carmacks Quakcon keynote speach, the one that's an hour and 20 some minutes. He touches on nearly everything people are complaining about. I guess I'm not as surprised by what Rage is because I already heard him talk about texture pop, texture resolution, the reasons they made one design choice versus another, their mistakes, and even about the disapointment some of the texture artists felt when then they found out their amazing artwork was reduced to a blur in some cases. Also watch his PC Gamer E3 interview. Between the two he covers everything, including the speculation on releasing DLC for the PC version to boost the graphics.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-06-11, 10:33 AM   #30
Yaboze

I feel it's a good game marred by this weird experiment of an engine.

The game is visually amazing for 6 year old consoles where you can expect some degraded visuals on some stuff, but for a PC to share those gaps in quality is not acceptable. Knowing all these potential issues I wonder why they didn't delay it or try to rectify it somehow. Did they think the PC community wouldn't notice the textures? The lack of video options? The popping of objects?
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote