Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-11, 04:13 AM   #181
K007

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/action/rag...c-video-review

""Chris Watters takes one last stab at Rage and finds that PC isn't always better than Console.""
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 04:18 AM   #182
wysiwyg

the standard settings look pretty bland to me texture wise, is there a way to get to more settings
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 05:59 AM   #183
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
In close up it looks pretty bad.

Also when ure moving around..the textures are 'streaming' and it is pretty bad...

Lack of options in the video settings

I think the gameplay / story might be interesting...but its a massive game...20+GB...it doesn't look that amazing...

This is a game that is better played maybe 2-3 months down the road...thats why i am waiting for awhile...
Actually if you use the tweaks listed here http://www.geforce.com/News/articles...-simple-tweaks and add the below the game looks really nice.

Quote:
In steam, r-click your game, goto properties, and add the following line into the startup parameters: +cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 3072 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1
Before using these tweaks it does look horrible, afterwards there is no texture streaming issue and they are much higher quality textures as well.

If Id would have released the game with these settings as default you would be seeing a whole different tone from gamers.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 06:08 AM   #184
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Actually if you use the tweaks listed here http://www.geforce.com/News/articles...-simple-tweaks and add the below the game looks really nice.

Before using these tweaks it does look horrible, afterwards there is no texture streaming issue and they are much higher quality textures as well.

If Id would have released the game with these settings as default you would be seeing a whole different tone from gamers.
So it will look like those screens if i tweak it?

Good enough.
Old 10-06-11, 08:12 AM   #185
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
It's a disgrace.

I'm not even looking forward to DOOM 4 anymore. It's gonna be another turd like this in the visuals department.
Not if someone else uses this engine to make it. Kinda like how Doom 3 showed us the new engine but quake 4 showed us how it could be used in a game that was actually fun.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 08:16 AM   #186
turdhat

WTF man ? Id software released a pc game in this state ? The community is posting CFG files to fix issues? What is this 1998 ? No excuse for this and damn glad I didnt buy on Id name alone. Almost bought this without research thinking, "It's Id, no worries." Whew..

No graphics options ? I think a misfired rocket must have smacked Carmack in the skull !
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 08:24 AM   #187
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I know I'm bringing up a common subject here, but after having the game for a few days, it's pretty apparent that this game was mainly made for consoles. I usually don't get on the PC elitest bandwagon but it's just so obvious in this game. Heck, it's crushing my hopes for PC gaming as a whole to be honest. I thought that since it was an id game, PC gamers would've come first and hopes would be restored. The exact opposite happened here. I'm very disappointed in id.

I'm still looking forward to Doom 4 but should we PC gamers expect the same quality?

Are all other games just going to keep losing quality over the next couple of years? It sure looks to me that way. Maybe it's time to give up the gun and get a console. Jussayin.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 08:34 AM   #188
bacon12

The outside shots look amazing, honestly beautiful. I said it way back 6 or more months ago about an inside shot that the textures looked horrible.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-11, 08:42 AM   #189
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I know I'm bringing up a common subject here, but after having the game for a few days, it's pretty apparent that this game was mainly made for consoles. I usually don't get on the PC elitest bandwagon but it's just so obvious in this game. Heck, it's crushing my hopes for PC gaming as a whole to be honest. I thought that since it was an id game, PC gamers would've come first and hopes would be restored. The exact opposite happened here. I'm very disappointed in id.

I'm still looking forward to Doom 4 but should we PC gamers expect the same quality?

Are all other games just going to keep losing quality over the next couple of years? It sure looks to me that way. Maybe it's time to give up the gun and get a console. Jussayin.
Heh, you been reading my mail. I played for a while this morning and there is no denying this is a console game end to end. Normally that doesn't bother me as I loved DS, DS2, GoW and some others, and I never get involved in the PC vs console debates. But this is enough to change my mind on buying Doom 4 on day of release. I didn't think anything could change my mind on that.

The only silver lining I can see here is if Rage fails in the revenue department. It's been touted and hyped as a AAA title from a well respected developer and it's being met with derision.

Sad because it's a ton of fun to play. The tweaks do bring the graphics up to a more acceptable level, but the community shouldn't have to bring this to the devs attention, especially Carmack. Hopefully this gets their attention.
Old 10-06-11, 08:55 AM   #190
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Heh, you been reading my mail. I played for a while this morning and there is no denying this is a console game end to end. Normally that doesn't bother me as I loved DS, DS2, GoW and some others, and I never get involved in the PC vs console debates. But this is enough to change my mind on buying Doom 4 on day of release. I didn't think anything could change my mind on that.

The only silver lining I can see here is if Rage fails in the revenue department. It's been touted and hyped as a AAA title from a well respected developer and it's being met with derision.

Sad because it's a ton of fun to play. The tweaks do bring the graphics up to a more acceptable level, but the community shouldn't have to bring this to the devs attention, especially Carmack. Hopefully this gets their attention.
Glad someone around here is on the same page with me. I don't like getting on this topic myself but it's just becoming more and more apparent that consoles are the way the market is going now. PC gamers are getting screwed left and right IMO and the quality I expect from these companies are going downhill and fast. It's almost not worth having the extra horsepower (compared to a console).

I've honestly been thinking this week about not purchasing any more PC titles and just saving my money up for a console. Heck, if I'm going to get console quality graphics and options, might as well just play games on a console from now on. Very heartbreaking and frustrating.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:08 AM   #191
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

I think megatexture is pointless for todays standards, ive read that the internal build was 150gb and that the team wasnt very happy with how much they had to sacrifice and compress to around 20gb this can explain why most of the textures upclose are worse then a game from 5 years ago. The game should have taken around 50-100gb once installed then it would have look different.

Look at how there is no vsync option i mean is this a pc game or what id ? no graphic settings of any kind nothing.. it runs and plays like a console game.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:13 AM   #192
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

This is not a surprise at all. CliffyB struck when the iron was hot years ago by developing a game engine that was essentially optimized for consoles. Look at all the successful unreal engine games on consoles! Too many to count.

Carmack is late to the party but at the party of console optimized game engines none the less.

His number 1 priority is to make money. Make no mistake of that. If he can build a game engine that will yield good performance on the consoles and (as he stresses so heavily) is easy to develop and build game using the engine/megatextures, he's pitching his product HEAVILY to companies that want an alternative to the unreal engine to build a game for consoles.

It wasn't until recently that he realized he may have taken it too far though.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1614177

To his credit, at least he admits it unlike cliffyb who basically said screw you to the PC game market.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote