Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

nice borderlands shots, guys.
Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:45 AM   #194
Yaboze

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Glad someone around here is on the same page with me. I don't like getting on this topic myself but it's just becoming more and more apparent that consoles are the way the market is going now. PC gamers are getting screwed left and right IMO and the quality I expect from these companies are going downhill and fast. It's almost not worth having the extra horsepower (compared to a console).

I've honestly been thinking this week about not purchasing any more PC titles and just saving my money up for a console. Heck, if I'm going to get console quality graphics and options, might as well just play games on a console from now on. Very heartbreaking and frustrating.
I agree 100%

I was talking to my buddy and I said I felt that PC gaming was done. Yeah, there are a few small developers making good stuff, like The Witcher 2 and Hard Reset (short game, but the engine was nice).

Epic and id were the kings of the PC in the 1990's and now they have abandoned their originas and jumped on the console bandwagon. It's great for console gamers and the industry, but just bad for PC gamers and enthusiasts.

I have been waiting for this game for a long time and while I don't upgrade my hardware for a single game, I definitely had this game in mind, among others when I did upgrade from a P35 setup to a X58.

If someone told me "Hey, I want to build a PC to play Rage and BF3..." I would tell them to save their money. It's just not worth it.

This era of consoles will be milked and slowly drift into an era of upgraded consoles...the market for consoles is there. Once they start putting out consoles that run the previous generations stuff, it will be a no brainer for people to move on and keep their collections. If the PC is 10x more powerful than a 2006 console, but not look or 10x better, what is the point?

I almost feel that Rage is the final nail in the coffin for the PC. If id software can't produce, who can?
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:55 AM   #195
Sean_W

CliffyB doesn't give a sh*t because Gears of War sells millions on the 360. He'll be happy doing Gears of Bore 10 and the 360 owners will lap it up. Carmack is not like that.

I'd really like to see a modern Quake 3 like game.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 10:04 AM   #196
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
CliffyB doesn't give a sh*t because Gears of War sells millions on the 360. He'll be happy doing Gears of Bore 10 and the 360 owners will lap it up. Carmack is not like that.

I'd really like to see a modern Quake 3 like game.
yeah but the thing is, GOW are fun games to play. I enjoyed the hell out of the 2nd one, haven't gotten a chance to play the 3rd one yet.

Same with bulletstorm. There is an art and method to properly executing a "shoot all the things!" game. ID has never been able to properly do it.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 10:33 AM   #197
grey_1

On the plus side, if this is the PCs future in gaming...I won't have to upgrade my C2D for 6 years, or my gfx card for about 12.
Old 10-06-11, 10:48 AM   #198
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
On the plus side, if this is the PCs future in gaming...I won't have to upgrade my C2D for 6 years, or my gfx card for about 12.
Agreed on that one.

I'm honestly thinking about asking Steam for a refund . . . .

EDIT: NM on this. I'll be a good customer for both id and Steam, and let this end my streak of being a PC gamer. I'm not that mad . . . bro.

From now on, all of my gaming money will go towards a console. I'm not spending another dime on the PC platform since we don't get the quality we expect. I'm done.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 10:52 AM   #199
Yaboze

It's recent developments like this why I haven't jumped to Sandy Bridge. X58 still rocks and I'll just let this get old...I've been thinking that for a while. Everything is going tablet and console, even Windows 8. Pfft.
Old 10-06-11, 10:53 AM   #200
LurkerLito

I finally got it last night and played it for a short time (the first mission) and it was OK, but I was not playing it OOB since I did look up online all the command flags to fix some of the issues. It looks good IMO from what I have seen but the installation from the DVDs was pathetic. It took 3+ hours to install from 3 discs and when it was done it still had to download about 45% of the game from steam. Maybe there was an error on my discs, Newegg did ship it in a simple padded envelop and the case is pretty much warped and cracked, but the discs seem fine and have no scratches.

I didn't notice too much texture popup in the first mission, and the feel of the combat is good but I only really have one weapon. It seems very borderlands-ish.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-11, 10:53 AM   #201
grey_1

Quote:
Agreed on that one.

I'm going to replay it actually. I was a good 4 hours in before I figured out what I was doing wrong with that tweak. It's looking good now, but I wanted the immersion early on too.

Still going to hope for a patch though, but I'm not counting on it.

We'll see, but I definitely lost respect for Id software as a developer.
Old 10-06-11, 11:04 AM   #202
Sean_W

Quote:
Agreed on that one.

EDIT: NM on this. I'll be a good customer for both id and Steam, and let this end my streak of being a PC gamer. I'm not that mad . . . bro.

From now on, all of my gaming money will go towards a console. I'm not spending another dime on the PC platform since we don't get the quality we expect. I'm done.
Don't be like that. On the whole PC gamers get the better version in respect to fidelity, just look how Crysis 2 turned after the extra stuff out and BF3 will be awesome. A few minutes tweaking can turn the game into being much better or mod it.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 11:07 AM   #203
Yaboze

What did you change in your tweak? Does the game read in rageconfig.cfg automatically? I know on the id "~"console you can exec files, not sure if that was required.

With the 280.26 drivers and Transcode enabled, it's much better than with the 270.61's, which the game never even showed the option for Transcode in the menu.

As for console like gameplay, I didn't really feel it until the racing parts. They force you to participate in these races in Wellspring. I figured I'd hop outside somewhere and race, nope. You get a load screen and fly-by camera and I felt like I was in Mario Cart! The graphics during the racing are awesome though, I love how the camera pulls back, but I wanted to grab my USB Xbox controller for that part. Felt weird with WASD. I dunno. Good thing I like arcade racers.
Old 10-06-11, 11:10 AM   #204
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Don't be like that. On the whole PC gamers get the better version in respect to fidelity, just look how Crysis 2 turned after the extra stuff out and BF3 will be awesome. A few minutes tweaking can turn the game into being much better or mod it.
See, I don't want to tweak. I think that it should work straight out of the box. I'm glad that id has created this "auto tweak" in the IT5 engine; it would've been awesome to just start the game and play it, not spending hours tweaking and testing settings. What a waste.

But how can you say that PC gamers get the better version? If they are just a notch above what console gamers get, then what's the difference? That's my point. Put a console game on a PC and you have the same thing.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote