Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-11, 07:33 PM   #1
ViN86

Default Windows rant...

Ok, why doesn't Windows support multiple desktops yet? Why are we forced to use a single desktop? There are third party apps available, but most of them suck and they're buggy as hell. Furthermore, why doesn't Windows support a nice feature like Expose, where you can display all windows at once and then select which you want?

When windows get stuck behind one another, they're a real pain in the ass to get back out. In OSX you can just hit F9 (or w/e) and select it. In Windows you need to either move the overlapping window or go down to the task bar and hit the icon, then select the one you want. Takes too damn long.

These are two things that are holding back Windows. They're present in OSX and Linux, so why not Windows? Let's go MS, get your **** together...

</rant>
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 07:36 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Windows rant...

Will this work?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/cc817881

EDIT: seems to work but you can't move windows from one to another. It's kind of a hack job...
Old 10-05-11, 07:42 PM   #3
Q

VirtuaWin is what I use and it's very powerful and responsive. There are some better LOOKING products, but few are as responsive. Make sure you run it is an Administrator if you have issues with MMC windows or anything else appearing on multiple screens. That's a common issue on Windows.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 12:51 AM   #4
ViN86

I started using VirtuaWin. It's pretty nice. Wish they had it built into the OS still.

Still need a proper Expose like program. I've found a few but they're buggy as hell.
Old 10-06-11, 11:14 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

expose? just use windows + tap, you see all windows and cycle through them
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 12:41 PM   #6
Sean_W

Expose is not the same thing. Windows is a one size fits all OS and I can imagine virtual desktops would be confusing to most people. OS X's spaces are a copy of what Linux desktops have had for a long time, just in a more 3D presented way.

GNOME Shell has this as part of it's design which encourages you to use other workspaces rather than being confined to one.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 01:14 PM   #7
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
expose? just use windows + tap, you see all windows and cycle through them
Yea, but it's cumbersome and I can't select the window I want easily and quickly. The cycling thing is a PITA. I want to see all windows and select the one I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Expose is not the same thing. Windows is a one size fits all OS and I can imagine virtual desktops would be confusing to most people. OS X's spaces are a copy of what Linux desktops have had for a long time, just in a more 3D presented way.

GNOME Shell has this as part of it's design which encourages you to use other workspaces rather than being confined to one.
I know it's not. The expose came after my rant about multiple desktops. And I know multiple desktops came from Linux. Where do you think I saw it before I wanted it in Windows?
Old 10-06-11, 01:46 PM   #8
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yea, but it's cumbersome and I can't select the window I want easily and quickly. The cycling thing is a PITA. I want to see all windows and select the one I want.
but you do see all windows, and you don't have to cycle, just point and click to the one that you want, and it go to it as primary window.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-11, 02:41 PM   #9
Q

You might want to give Dexpot a try too. More Expo like features, as well.

Remember, run as admin with this one, too.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 03:02 PM   #10
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post

I know it's not. The expose came after my rant about multiple desktops. And I know multiple desktops came from Linux. Where do you think I saw it before I wanted it in Windows?
Just responding to nekrosoft13 about that. You used Linux as a desktop Vin? Wow
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 03:28 PM   #11
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Just responding to nekrosoft13 about that. You used Linux as a desktop Vin? Wow
I ran Linux as my main OS for about 4 years until DX killed gaming on Linux. I used to run Slackware.

I still use Cygwin regularly when I'm in Windows and we use Debian on our research group machines. Nothing beats a unix-based terminal.
Old 10-06-11, 05:05 PM   #12
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
OS X should copy the way Windows implemented Alt+Tab, per window and with previews.
Windows should copy Exposť and Spaces from OS X.

Both operating systems would get a lot better instantly
+1

Someone needs to write a hybrid that plays games too. Then no one has a need for either OS. Also, put the OSX style dmg/iso mounting in Windows. I love that feature.