Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-11, 08:53 AM   #49
Gusar

Default Re: 285.03: X Server 1.11.0 IgnoreABI required to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwahnn View Post
And now the only reason for picking NVIDIA "working x11 driver - no matter what" is not valid anymore.
Emm, exaggerate much? We're going through the same dance every time X bumps ABI. And nvidia is quick to provide updated drivers (well ok, not for legacy branches). But the issue is in X this time, not in the driver (it can be worked around in the driver though), and it doesn't even effect all cards.

Arch handles this very well. They've kept xorg-server-1.11 in the testing branch, waiting for a nvidia driver. And now they've applied the patch to X, so that all nvidia cards will work fine, and xorg-server-1.11 will move out of testing today or tomorrow.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 11:49 AM   #50
Soulsuke

Indeed. And this time, I guess, it was harder to find the cause of the issue, since it only affects cards that don't support trapezoid acceleration, and I guess they do most of the tests on newer cards that support it

Also, it should be noted that all the problems on Debian are happening on Sid, which should be expected to break every now and then since it's the unstable branch... I'm not sure about other distros, but the situation, at least for me, doesn't look as bad as some people say

...I kind of miss Sun definition of 'unstable'
Soulsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 02:11 PM   #51
sarbash
Sergey Sarbash

Send a message via ICQ to sarbash Send a message via Skype™ to sarbash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsuke View Post
Also, it should be noted that all the problems on Debian are happening on Sid, which should be expected to break every now and then since it's the unstable branch...
He but for, I'm on testing and they are here. That is why I have been wondered.
In Arch really alright. But in my netbook is Intel and it has other problems with it's driver.
In home laptop, Debian wasn't updated about 1 year so I'd decided that it's a time.
Nevertheless, long duration wasn't really reason.
For all the past time I never had any trouble with Nvidia on my family's Debian laptop.
sarbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 03:49 PM   #52
Soulsuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbash View Post
He but for, I'm on testing and they are here. That is why I have been wondered.
In Arch really alright. But in my netbook is Intel and it has other problems with it's driver.
In home laptop, Debian wasn't updated about 1 year so I'd decided that it's a time.
Nevertheless, long duration wasn't really reason.
For all the past time I never had any trouble with Nvidia on my family's Debian laptop.
Well, it really depends on which version of Debian you've been running: Sid/unstable breaks often (it's still good as a desktop os imho), testing (currently Wheezy) is made of packages that had little-to-no testing in Sid, it's supposed to be a preview of the next Debian release, but it's not that stable itself... Only current-stable (squeeze), old-stable (lenny) and experimental are the repos supposed to have tested and stable packages afaik
Soulsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 12:12 AM   #53
primerib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsuke View Post
Well, it really depends on which version of Debian you've been running: Sid/unstable breaks often (it's still good as a desktop os imho), testing (currently Wheezy) is made of packages that had little-to-no testing in Sid, it's supposed to be a preview of the next Debian release, but it's not that stable itself... Only current-stable (squeeze), old-stable (lenny) and experimental are the repos supposed to have tested and stable packages afaik
The highlighted text isn't true at all. I deal with several boxes running debian testing and they are all very stable. Further, packages are not passed from unstable to testing quickly. They certainly have been tested by the time they get to testing.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 01:15 AM   #54
sarbash
Sergey Sarbash

It would be offtop here about Debian and it's branches and current situation with them, just wanna hear from Nvidia when they even planned to fix this real regression in the driver.
Latest beta is the best from the bad for a while.
I fondly suppose that this update should reach Deb/testing fast because of it's importance.
Thank you all for your attention.

P.S. [offtop]My wife has nagged me completely after update because of this bug made interface unusable (so slooow responce down to hang). [/offtop]
Old 10-11-11, 08:28 AM   #55
thefirstm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbash View Post
It would be offtop here about Debian and it's branches and current situation with them, just wanna hear from Nvidia when they even planned to fix this real regression in the driver.
Latest beta is the best from the bad for a while.
I fondly suppose that this update should reach Deb/testing fast because of it's importance.
Thank you all for your attention.

P.S. [offtop]My wife has nagged me completely after update because of this bug made interface unusable (so slooow responce down to hang). [/offtop]
You should apply the xserver patch from earlier in the thread. It works around the slowdown problems until the trapezoid issue is fixed.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 06:03 PM   #56
sarbash
Sergey Sarbash

Thumbs up Re: 285.03: X Server 1.11.0 IgnoreABI required to work

Ok, applied the patch and waiting for the final solution.
Now, it's a time to have some coffee or tea or something...

Old 10-12-11, 12:21 AM   #57
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Sorry for the delayed response. This should be fixed in the next beta release and the next release from the long-lived branch.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 12:28 AM   #58
ant
A GeForced Ant

Question Re: 285.03: X Server 1.11.0 IgnoreABI required to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. This should be fixed in the next beta release and the next release from the long-lived branch.
When is the next beta release?