Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-11, 09:12 AM   #61
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Unless it's bundled with an essential service you should be able to disable it.
I would hope they wouldn't do that - I just really don't like MS's gaming 'model' for lack of a better term.

I keep hoping that their claim to want to "support pc gaming" means ports of former xbox exclusives instead of forcing gfwl on us...but I'm not holding my breath for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 03:16 PM   #62
AthlonXP1800
Registered User
 
AthlonXP1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,352
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Windows 8 will have a new file management functionality feature not seened in recently builds, it will have ability to pause, resume and stop copying operations all done in a single dialog Windows 7 lacked.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windo...y-218272.shtml
__________________
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-11, 04:56 AM   #63
wysiwyg
Registered User
 
wysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London, England
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
Windows 8 will have a new file management functionality feature not seened in recently builds, it will have ability to pause, resume and stop copying operations all done in a single dialog Windows 7 lacked.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windo...y-218272.shtml

very handy
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 12:21 AM   #64
ElL33t
Brobama
 
ElL33t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 805
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

I love win7. No reason to switch to 8
__________________
OBAMA 2012
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 12:47 AM   #65
PeterJensen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Dev preview is out. Go get it
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 04:54 AM   #66
kunkun238_hn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Wow... are you guys serious???

MS biggest mistake was Windows XP- letting it sit for so frikken long and now everybody is spoiled wanting to just sit on their current version of windows indefinitely.

And six storm, how about all the incremental version to OS X you have to go out and buy if you want to be up to date and current? What makes it even worse is if you've a Mac that came with 10.5 or older and does not have an Intel processor guess what? No 10.6 for you! Yup, you have to go out and purchase a whole new mac! People think an extra $150 for the new version of Windows is bad, try dropping $1500 just to go from 10.5 to 10.6 simply because your older mac didn't have an Intel CPU.

Furthermore, Apple releases new OS versions much more frequently than MS releases new Windows versions, and Apple charges for each new OS X version as well.

Sure, it might only be $30 but it's still the hassle of the upgrade process. And if it's $30 every 1 - 2 years, that's about $60 - $90 by the time the new version of Windows is out. Only going from one version of Windows to the next is usually a pretty monumental change. Likely MS could charge less for it.

I absolutely loathe people dịch vụ thuê xe that insist on bashing one platform or another. Do you realise, Six storm, that just last week thuê xe tháng we checked in about five Macs in a single day for the Mac Defender Virus? Here's another linky for you about it as well.

I've not once thumped my chest about how epic Windows is or isn't, or how pathetic OS X is or isn't. Because that's dumb, both have their thuê xe du lịch giá rẻ strong points. Just use the rig and quite bitchin'. I don't thuê xe cưới hỏi hear you bitch and whine every new OS X release. Why do it over the Windows releases? If MS didn't thuê xe 4 chỗ release Windows this frequently you'd complain about how they sit on the same OS for so long supporting thuê xe 7 chỗ outdated hardware and technology while Mac OS X was current and supporting all the new technology because thuê xe 16 chỗ it's always getting upgrades... there's no winning for MS! Good God!

My whole point is that this bias stupidity is just that- thuê xe 29 chỗ stupid. For every flaw somebody "points out" regarding Windows, I could point out a flaw in OS X. Neither is perfect, so stop putting one on a pedastal while belittling the other. Only going to make yourself look foolish in the process.
I really like Window 8,trial, very fast, but it's difficult to use, may be... I'm using win 7 :P Hope "Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012" :x
kunkun238_hn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 10:32 AM   #67
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Wow... are you guys serious???

MS biggest mistake was Windows XP- letting it sit for so frikken long and now everybody is spoiled wanting to just sit on their current version of windows indefinitely.

And six storm, how about all the incremental version to OS X you have to go out and buy if you want to be up to date and current? What makes it even worse is if you've a Mac that came with 10.5 or older and does not have an Intel processor guess what? No 10.6 for you! Yup, you have to go out and purchase a whole new mac! People think an extra $150 for the new version of Windows is bad, try dropping $1500 just to go from 10.5 to 10.6 simply because your older mac didn't have an Intel CPU.

Furthermore, Apple releases new OS versions much more frequently than MS releases new Windows versions, and Apple charges for each new OS X version as well.

Sure, it might only be $30 but it's still the hassle of the upgrade process. And if it's $30 every 1 - 2 years, that's about $60 - $90 by the time the new version of Windows is out. Only going from one version of Windows to the next is usually a pretty monumental change. Likely MS could charge less for it.

I absolutely loathe people that insist on bashing one platform or another. Do you realise, Six storm, that just last week we checked in about five Macs in a single day for the Mac Defender Virus? Here's another linky for you about it as well.

I've not once thumped my chest about how epic Windows is or isn't, or how pathetic OS X is or isn't. Because that's dumb, both have their strong points. Just use the rig and quite bitchin'. I don't hear you bitch and whine every new OS X release. Why do it over the Windows releases? If MS didn't release Windows this frequently you'd complain about how they sit on the same OS for so long supporting outdated hardware and technology while Mac OS X was current and supporting all the new technology because it's always getting upgrades... there's no winning for MS! Good God!

My whole point is that this bias stupidity is just that- stupid. For every flaw somebody "points out" regarding Windows, I could point out a flaw in OS X. Neither is perfect, so stop putting one on a pedastal while belittling the other. Only going to make yourself look foolish in the process.
great post.

but will also add, i'm a big windows suported. but at its current state, and seeing what MS wants to do to windows with all this metro ****. currently I hate windows 8, this will be biggest failure since windows ME.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 10:42 AM   #68
Yaboze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Comparing OSX cost to Windows is retarded. I've had a Mac for years and still haven't spent over $100 upgrading the OS. I can't say the same with Vista and Windows 7. Your argument is fail.

Also, are you going to put Windows 7 on a PC from 2005? Apple starting using Intel processors in 2006. I think you can still put Lion on a 2006 Mac, just not a G4 one.

Part of the problem with Windows is it can't evolve as much as it should because they always cater to the lowest common denominator. Windows should be 64 bit ONLY right now, but MS keeps putting out 32 bit versions.

Apple leaving 5-6 year old hardware behind is a bit heavy handed, but they are moving forward, trying to get everything 64-bit, multitouch, etc.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-11, 12:01 PM   #69
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,873
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Comparing OSX cost to Windows is retarded. I've had a Mac for years and still haven't spent over $100 upgrading the OS. I can't say the same with Vista and Windows 7. Your argument is fail.
But you pay twice as much for a macintosh as you do for a PC. I'd rather have a $400 PC with a $100 OS than an equivalent macintosh for $900 and a $25 OS. Your argument is fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Part of the problem with Windows is it can't evolve as much as it should because they always cater to the lowest common denominator. Windows should be 64 bit ONLY right now, but MS keeps putting out 32 bit versions.
32-bit still has its place for smaller platforms. If you are running on an embedded computer with 2GB of ram and a tiny flash drive, 32-bit makes far more sense than 64-bit.

OSX can't even touch windows when it comes to scalability and compatibility. For mac users it's either Job's way or the highway.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 10:00 PM   #70
mullet
 
mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Let me be clear, win 8 is going to fall flat on it's ass.
__________________
• LIAN-LI PC-A70B • ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA (0701) • i7-3770k + NOCTUA|NH-D14 • Intel 520 240GB SSD • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1600 •
• EVGA GeForce GTX 680 • PCP&C 750 Quad • ASUS BD-ROM • DELL U2711 H-IPS + DELL 2209WA e-IPS• Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 • Logitech Z5500 5.1 •
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 10:14 PM   #71
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
32-bit still has its place for smaller platforms. If you are running on an embedded computer with 2GB of ram and a tiny flash drive, 32-bit makes far more sense than 64-bit.

OSX can't even touch windows when it comes to scalability and compatibility. For mac users it's either Job's way or the highway.
true, but they should keep 32bit only on least feature full version of windows, 32bit ultimate is just a stupid idea.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 08:49 AM   #72
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: Windows 8 to hit retail in 2012!

just got confirmation from a developer of Win8 that it will be here by q3-q4 2012.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.