Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-11, 05:08 AM   #13
Ninja Prime

Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Sucks. Will probably be fine in the server space, which I think must be their plan now, BD for server, Fusion products for the majority of desktop. I wonder if piledriver in 6-8 months will actually fix anything, sounds like its more the way it is designed than anything, it just doesn't fit well with desktop duties. Maybe when 8 threads becomes common for everything, but I think thats a few years off yet.

I'm curious as to what will happen with Trinity now... Will they use these cores, or something else?
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 05:40 AM   #14
PeterJensen

What a letdown.

Was ready to push the button and upgrading from my X6. Not now

CRAP"!
Old 10-12-11, 06:29 AM   #15
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Wow, what a piece of ****. So much for the nonstop talk over the past few months about how much better Bulldozer would be than Intel's latest.

Ironically, Rollo was right...Bulldozer fails!
Wonder if anyone will post a giant "Rollo bulldozes AMD" jpg in my thread in the rumor forum now to correct the giant "AMD bulldozes Rollo" jpg?

Technically "I" wasn't right, I just ran across an interview of an unnamed AMD employee that turned out to be true and I believed it was while most did not.

In any case, this is a sad day for competition in the cpu market. Who could have guessed Bulldozer would be this bad?

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 10:31 AM   #16
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

wow, what a disaster, and i wanted to get one in hopes for better x264 encoding over by X6, but there is no point in waiting money on new AM3+ board and ****dozer.
Old 10-12-11, 11:06 AM   #17
Sean_W

Let's not forget that it's a cheaper upgrade for current AMD owners and nothing really utilises it yet.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 11:41 AM   #18
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

The dreaded TLB bug is back has no one noticed?

How is bulldozer sopost to feed the L3 cache when the L2 cache is running at slower speeds then the Memory subsystem and the L3 cache is twice as fast? And the fact it is writing faster then reading!!! The L2 cache is running 8x slower then Intels. I wonder if disabling the L2 cache will help after all the L3 cache is running 2x as fast

If you compair it to my Phenom X6 the L2 cache is 2x slower then my CPU.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 12:08 PM   #19
ViN86

Man, this is embarrassing for AMD...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 12:13 PM   #20
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
Man my 950 annihilates those things. I was really hoping for something good from AMD.

I don't know why that guy in the link in the quote above uses high graphics settings for his CPU benchmarks...

Old 10-12-11, 12:24 PM   #21
Bman212121

I'd have to agree the loss of clock for clock performance is a bit of a mystery. There are some workloads where bulldozer does do quite well and can almost match a i7 2600K, but it's still going to be doing it with a lot more power consumption. I'd bet my OC'ed 2600K still uses less power and would really blow away bulldozer.

I'm guessing bulldozer will be quick to fade. It's priced higher than an X6 1100T yet performs on par in light workloads. A slight price drop of Sandy Bridge will no doubt make it even less compelling to buy anything AMD.

Pile driver has it's work cut out for it to even get the numbers back on track. The per clock increase will only get it back on track with Phenom II, then they will really need a die shrink to get the power down some. Sadly it seems like AMD is having a "netburst" of their own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I don't know why that guy in the link in the quote above uses high graphics settings for his CPU benchmarks...
I personally like they use higher graphics settings. It shows the actual effect the processor will have on your workload. The other thing that I've seen mentioned before is the workload between running 640 x 480 low settings and full resolution high settings can change significantly on the CPU side. Even though they are GPU limited some of the settings can require more cpu power to handle the added code. Using AA might be a bit much though.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 12:44 PM   #22
stereod

I'm glad that I didn't wait for Bulldozer.
Core i5-2500K | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Scythe S-FLEX 1600rpm | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC | ASUS P8P67 | Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600 2x4GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 6Gb/s | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 575W | Cooler Master USP 100
stereod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 01:18 PM   #23
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
I personally like they use higher graphics settings. It shows the actual effect the processor will have on your workload. The other thing that I've seen mentioned before is the workload between running 640 x 480 low settings and full resolution high settings can change significantly on the CPU side. Even though they are GPU limited some of the settings can require more cpu power to handle the added code. Using AA might be a bit much though.
Well they showed 3 resolutions but left AA/AF on with all high settings... lol
Old 10-12-11, 01:58 PM   #24
shilk

May be a bit premature of me to say, but I'm ready as hell to jump ship and just get me an i5 2500K setup with a new mobo for $350.

I've been kind of waiting to see what we'd see with Bulldozer, and I'm seriously underwhelmed.

So do you guys think I should switch?