Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-11, 07:25 AM   #49
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: iOS 5 Available Now

Took me 5 hours to download and upgrade my wife's iPhone last night. Apple's servers were so slow!

Otherwise, wife says she doesn't notice any performance gains but she likes the android-style pull down menu.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 07:28 AM   #50
Hogrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
What's the point in seeing a list of backups unless you're actually restoring??
What's the point in restoring before you can see any of your backups? Maybe you have 3 backups and you want the 2nd one. If I plug into the computer and open Itunes I see all my backups listed by date. With icloud I don't see any backups. I guess you have to select on the device to do a restore then it will let you see your backups? If you do select restore is it wiping the device clean then applying your backup?
I just think it would make sense if you could go on icloud and see a list of your backups by date, instead of just trusting that they are there then when it comes to use them you find out nothing is there.
Old 10-14-11, 09:34 AM   #51
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
What's the point in restoring before you can see any of your backups? Maybe you have 3 backups and you want the 2nd one. If I plug into the computer and open Itunes I see all my backups listed by date. With icloud I don't see any backups. I guess you have to select on the device to do a restore then it will let you see your backups? If you do select restore is it wiping the device clean then applying your backup?
I just think it would make sense if you could go on icloud and see a list of your backups by date, instead of just trusting that they are there then when it comes to use them you find out nothing is there.
I agree it would be nice to see them online.

And I understand what you're saying now. It certainly WOULD be easier to just hit a certain restore date and have it go.

That being said, I never have to restore my phone unless I am forced to wipe/restore as with a completely new iOS. in that case it just installs the OS and I go through the iCloud process from there.
Old 10-14-11, 09:40 AM   #52
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Took me 5 hours to download and upgrade my wife's iPhone last night. Apple's servers were so slow!

Otherwise, wife says she doesn't notice any performance gains but she likes the android-style pull down menu.
What'd you do to your avatar and signature.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 11:17 AM   #53
six_storm

Wow, no love for the new avatar and sig? I thought it looked pretty good. Oh well, either I'll change it or you'll just have to deal.
Old 10-14-11, 03:04 PM   #54
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
I really like ios and think it is more stable and polished than Android but this is pretty funny

That made me lol HARD
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 03:13 PM   #55
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Wow, no love for the new avatar and sig? I thought it looked pretty good. Oh well, either I'll change it or you'll just have to deal.

It's not that bad, but I agree with slawter. It's confusing haha.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 03:37 PM   #56
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post

It's not that bad, but I agree with slawter. It's confusing haha.
Fair enough, I can see that. Back to the creative drawing board.

Old 10-14-11, 03:51 PM   #57
XDanger
Whaaat?

My songs wont play!! ohno ...
Old 10-14-11, 04:18 PM   #58
Hogrider

Old 10-15-11, 12:09 AM   #59
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
I was able to get iOS5 on my iPod Touch 3G. And its really nice.. UGH WHY?!?!

Now I'm back to square one.. GALAXY S2 or iPHONE 4S?!?!? I honestly could go either way and be happy. iPhone has a lot of nice things, Siri looks exceptional, but I don't know how much actual functionality it has for me. Then the Galaxy S2 looks phenomenal, but I don't know if I really want to deal with the constant editing, and rooting(of course I would root!) Changing Android OSs, and other stuff..

I need to check the two things out at the store..
You would had gone for Samsung Galaxy S2 before summer months ago, I bought one in July. Android already has Siri app called Vlingo Virtual Assistant but here also other great app on Android Market called Speaktoit Assistant has more commands and better functionality than either Siri and Vlingo.

http://software2tech.com/2011/10/14/...eo/#more-14218

I read iphone 4S reviews and looked at photos samples, it was nice and on par with Galaxy S2 but the 1080p HD video samples are not as great quality as Galaxy S2. I watched iphone 4S night video samples on youtube, Galaxy S2 has better video camera quality in night shots than iphone 4S.

Go for Galaxy S2, it has bigger 4.3 inch screen than iphone 4S 3.5 inch screen and you can root it and install ice cream sandwich ROM soon. Also it has better battery than iOS 5, my mate updated his iphone 4 to iOS 5 and found out the battery only last 7 hours, missed some urgent sms texts while he at work on 15 hours shift. After I updated Galaxy S2 to Android 2.3.4 and received some sms texts plus wifi on to download apps, the battery last 10 days. Impressive.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 12:29 AM   #60
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Yes, Mac and PC. Exactly, the iCloud is pretty nice. I have my iPod plugged into iHome, and the iPod is showing up on my list of plugged in devices. Dumb it took them this long to do it, but now that they have, its pretty nice. I don't know, I like that its like a complete package (like the whole user experience that Apple preaches) That would be like the only reason I buy it, because of my music and apps and everything is on iTunes. But I'm sure there are like apps for android too. I'm torn.
Yes here are apps for that.

Media Monkey and DoubleTwist can do what iTunes do on iphones/ipods, it can sync and playback iTunes musics, photos and movies on Android.

Fancy iCloud for Android to backup & sync everything on Android to cloud? Yes here an app for that.

https://www.sugarsync.com/
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote