Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-15-11, 09:35 PM   #73
Rollo

Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

I have literally "seen it all" on the tech forums now. I thought it was sad when people would post "Card X uses less electricity!" when electricity averages around a dime a KWh in the US. I thought it was pathetic when people said "Card Y costs company Z less money to build!"

To see "Well these new cpus are slower than the old ones, much slower than the competition, use more juice, run hotter, cost more, have a cache bug, but guess what? If you run secret patch X it helps a little, and disabling half the cores helps a little more, so then you only have a CPU that is slower than the competition, runs hotter, costs more, uses more juice!" thrown out there as a "logical argument" is beyond comprehension.

The only people on the planet who should buy Bulldozer CPUs have relatives working at AMD. The rest of us should stay far, far away.

I guess I'm not familiar with the server market, but these things wouldn't be my first choice. Businesses need proven tech, not cache bugs, patches, and disabled cores. I don't think the IT dept where I work would even consider something like this.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 10:41 PM   #74
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I have literally "seen it all" on the tech forums now. I thought it was sad when people would post "Card X uses less electricity!" when electricity averages around a dime a KWh in the US. I thought it was pathetic when people said "Card Y costs company Z less money to build!"

To see "Well these new cpus are slower than the old ones, much slower than the competition, use more juice, run hotter, cost more, have a cache bug, but guess what? If you run secret patch X it helps a little, and disabling half the cores helps a little more, so then you only have a CPU that is slower than the competition, runs hotter, costs more, uses more juice!" thrown out there as a "logical argument" is beyond comprehension.

The only people on the planet who should buy Bulldozer CPUs have relatives working at AMD. The rest of us should stay far, far away.

I guess I'm not familiar with the server market, but these things wouldn't be my first choice. Businesses need proven tech, not cache bugs, patches, and disabled cores. I don't think the IT dept where I work would even consider something like this.
No, you have "done it all".

Bulldozer is not "actually" an octacore CPU, it's 4 cores with 2 modules each core. Which can provide 80% of computations of 8 cores.

If you will actually READ what people are doing. It's not about being slower, hotter, cost more, cache bug, etc. It's about troubleshooting. Everyone and their grandma has admitted it's inferior, but are trying to make it at least compete. WHY? Because some people want competition, they don't want to go buy an Intel singe core processor for $1500, then a $700 mobo.

I never said I was buying a bulldozer, but I am happy people are pitching in to help. But I ask you one question. If the only people who should buy Bulldozer are the employees' relatives...WHY is it there are no FX-8150s in stock in most places you look? To suck so bad, they sure are selling like hotcakes w/free syrup.

Here, go learn something:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2198869

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 01:23 AM   #75
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Honestly, if AMD needs customers on a forum to find workarounds to get better performance after just releasing a brand new design, they don't have a place in the market anyway.

Instead, they jump started the marketing engine prior to the start while knowing they have a complete failure on the Grid.
Well the problem doesn't seem to be the CPU itself, but with the windows scheduler not supporting the CPU. The only fix for that is from Microsoft itself.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 05:42 AM   #76
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I never said I was buying a bulldozer, but I am happy people are pitching in to help. But I ask you one question. If the only people who should buy Bulldozer are the employees' relatives...WHY is it there are no FX-8150s in stock in most places you look? To suck so bad, they sure are selling like hotcakes w/free syrup.
My guess is 8150s are in relatively short supply, so they're selling out quickly. We've seen mention of yield problems many times in regard to this chip, makes sense the highest clocked part would be in shortest supply.

I don't think the sun will rise on a 8150 dominated desktop landscape next week, more like a few thousand AMD die hards bought them because they're pretty cheap and they want to support competition.

Even if they were "selling like hotcakes" this sort of argument is known as an "appeal to the masses" in the logical fallacies. Lots of people watch Rosie O'Donnell, doesn't mean she's good.

So you're proposing people buy these chips so they can "look for workarounds as enthusiasts", and because AMD wanted to create some kind of hyperthreading?

Why shouldn't people just buy the higher performing chips that run cooler, OC better, have hyperthreading that is time tested, need no work arounds?

AMD needs to produce chips that compete, not have people buy worse products because they want competition. ATi proves year in, year out that competitive chips can be made.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 10-16-11, 07:06 AM   #77
Viral
Registered User of Women

Competing against nvidia is nothing like competing against Intel. This isn't 2003-2005 anymore where Intel have a flawed architecture and software optimisation isn't that important. Things have changed. I still think AMD can turn it around - I just hope they still have the engineers there to do so.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 08:54 AM   #78
noko
noko

Quote:

Maybe Intel made it too easy, buy 2600K, flip the switch on, set the multiplier and it runs perfect as well as fast. AMD one has to tweak tweak tweak, find the hiden magical settings to make those games play etc. Oh what fun Intel folks maybe missing here. I am looking forward to my 8120 arriving while I will probably consume alot of time finding out what works best with it. Now from the looks of it, the Sandy Bridge cpus are for the most part clearly the better cpu for the desktop, at least at this time, maybe in the near future Bulldozer can show it ugly head or bucket for the home user.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 09:43 AM   #79
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

I think that with a windows 7/8 patch this processor will become a viable alternative for alot of people. But it doesn't have the potential to curb stomp the 2600K and by the time AMD have a core revision done....Intel will have something else on the market.

I'm buying the 1090T next time it's on sale....it will have to do me 2 more years.
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 09:47 AM   #80
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I'm buying the 1090T next time it's on sale....it will have to do me 2 more years.
My guess is it will serve you better than a Bulldozer.

Rig 2:

Old 10-16-11, 10:25 AM   #81
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
My guess is it will serve you better than a Bulldozer.
Agreed,

Bulldozer is fail....all around
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old 10-16-11, 12:05 PM   #82
PeterJensen

Going for a 1100T - I have a 1055T now and was hoping to get the biggest bulldozer
Old 10-16-11, 02:56 PM   #83
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJensen View Post
Going for a 1100T - I have a 1055T now and was hoping to get the biggest bulldozer
Just looked and the 1100T is like 12 bucks more than the 1090T....i think it's worth 12 bucks for a guaranteed 100mhz more speed. I'm gonna try for 4ghz.
Old 10-16-11, 09:02 PM   #84
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz View Post

Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can take one forward. Sooner or later Intel will need to go down this route, it's just AMD took it sooner then expected.

On the plus side dispite disabling some of the cores you are not loosing the cache so there is more cache available to the CPU's.
And that's exactly were a good, decent company would have said we screwed up. Product will be delayed. We will fix it and release a fixes version. And not hope that tricky lying marketing schemes will sell this poor product