Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-02, 10:13 PM   #1
nerfherder64

Send a message via AIM to nerfherder64
Default My luck so far with RH8

Installation was painless. Then I had to recompile the kernel with NTFS support (dual booting with WinXP), which was *almost* painless (but not quite). Then I copied my TrueType fonts into a location where Linux (not just the system, but also Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, etc.) would recognize them (relatively painless).

Now comes the painful part: getting the nVidia drivers working. I desperately want TwinView support, so this is important for me.

When I tried to use the SRPM for the nVidia kernel, I was told that "--rebuild" was an invalid argument for rpm. Whatever.

So then I tried compiling it from a tarball. That met with all *kinds* of errors. (I've already successfully recompiled the Linux kernel, so that's all configured correctly.)

I'm in Windows now, so I can't tell you the exact errors at the moment. Any ideas based on what I've said?
nerfherder64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 11:48 PM   #2
bwkaz

Well, the errors will obviously help.

<dumb question> You haven't deleted the kernel source directory... right? </dumb question> I wouldn't think so, but I guess you never know...

Otherwise, what all did you do to build the kernel? I hope you selected "loadable module support" and "kernel module loader" when you did make config, menuconfig, or xconfig, because it might (well, OK, will) get tricky without those options. After that, you just did the (relatively) standard make dep bzImage modules modules_install, correct? (variations on this should be OK, as long as you haven't done a make mrproper, or even possibly make clean, since the kernel build). You might want to try make oldconfig and then a make dep to see if that helps with the long list of errors. But I'm just guessing here, so keep that in mind. The errors will be of the most importance.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-02, 03:13 AM   #3
mikk

I've found that on Redhat 8, you must rebuild rpms like this:

rpmbuild --rebuild <src.rpm>
Old 10-05-02, 12:38 PM   #4
nerfherder64

Send a message via AIM to nerfherder64
Default That'll do

rpmbuild was what I needed. Thanks!
nerfherder64 is offline   Reply With Quote