Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-16-11, 09:18 PM   #85
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Default Re: Official AMD FX Bulldozer review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
My guess is 8150s are in relatively short supply, so they're selling out quickly. We've seen mention of yield problems many times in regard to this chip, makes sense the highest clocked part would be in shortest supply.

I don't think the sun will rise on a 8150 dominated desktop landscape next week, more like a few thousand AMD die hards bought them because they're pretty cheap and they want to support competition.

Even if they were "selling like hotcakes" this sort of argument is known as an "appeal to the masses" in the logical fallacies. Lots of people watch Rosie O'Donnell, doesn't mean she's good.

So you're proposing people buy these chips so they can "look for workarounds as enthusiasts", and because AMD wanted to create some kind of hyperthreading?

Why shouldn't people just buy the higher performing chips that run cooler, OC better, have hyperthreading that is time tested, need no work arounds?

AMD needs to produce chips that compete, not have people buy worse products because they want competition. ATi proves year in, year out that competitive chips can be made.
Now go read the links. I didn't "propose" anything, I didn't even recommend them, I just posted a link as to why they are slow. You are the one flapping your gums speculating and taking things out of context.

People are buying the FX-8150 for server applications, and heavy multi-threads. People are compiling code, ripping dvds, web browsing, and listening to music, with no slow down. It's the single threads they are slow at (aka games).

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 10:12 PM   #86
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Now go read the links. I didn't "propose" anything, I didn't even recommend them, I just posted a link as to why they are slow. You are the one flapping your gums speculating and taking things out of context.

People are buying the FX-8150 for server applications, and heavy multi-threads. People are compiling code, ripping dvds, web browsing, and listening to music, with no slow down. It's the single threads they are slow at (aka games).
That's all well and good, but leaves out that intel chips with hyperhtreading (e.g. 2600K) are just as good or better at multithreaded apps, and also run single threaded apps much faster.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 10:15 PM   #87
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
And that's exactly were a good, decent company would have said we screwed up. Product will be delayed. We will fix it and release a fixes version. And not hope that tricky lying marketing schemes will sell this poor product
You're just wrong about this. Corp's responsibility is to shareholders, you'll never see this sort of thing.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 10-17-11, 12:21 AM   #88
PeterJensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Just looked and the 1100T is like 12 bucks more than the 1090T....i think it's worth 12 bucks for a guaranteed 100mhz more speed. I'm gonna try for 4ghz.
Yea 4ghz would be nice

You running watercooling? I'm running with a Corsair H70
Old 10-17-11, 06:35 AM   #89
Rollo

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/twent...ii-and-core-i7

As I expected, multi-GPU scaling lags behind the Phenom II and i7. (and presumably SB)

This is a very strange launch- behind prior gen at almost all commonly used performance metrics, higher cost and lower performance than competition, cache bug.

I had a couple Phenom IIs and I just cannot understand why the decision was made to do this rather than shrink the last gen 4 and 6 core Phenom IIs to 32nm and bump the clocks. Those are pretty solid parts and there just aren't enough things that need 8 cores.

What's really amusing is the number of new users and very old accounts with very few posts popping up in CPU forums explaining why the Bulldozers are really good and we should not believe "those crazy reviews". Viral much, AMD?

Rig 2:

Old 10-17-11, 08:39 AM   #90
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
You're just wrong about this. Corp's responsibility is to shareholders, you'll never see this sort of thing.
excactly, releasing a shody product can and will damage companies in the eyes of consumers, and that will affect the shareholders in the end.

shody product release like this will be a black eye for the company for every long time, and if AMD has some brains this will be last FX branded product.

when and if they release a new bulldozer, smart thing to do would be use a different branding name for it.
Old 10-17-11, 09:04 AM   #91
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJensen View Post
Yea 4ghz would be nice

You running watercooling? I'm running with a Corsair H70
I'm using a decent air cooler. Summer my max load is around 52'C and winter it's maybe 48-49'C so it's more than capable of handling the 3.9ghz I'm running this 965BE at.
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 12:24 PM   #92
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
excactly, releasing a shody product can and will damage companies in the eyes of consumers, and that will affect the shareholders in the end.

shody product release like this will be a black eye for the company for every long time, and if AMD has some brains this will be last FX branded product.

when and if they release a new bulldozer, smart thing to do would be use a different branding name for it.
While you're right that a release like this will affect shareholders, what I'm saying is you will never see an AMD employee go on record saying "Yep we screwed the pooch with the new arch. We'll try to do better next time.".

That employee would be fired instantly and twenty PR guys would go into damage control mode instantly.

Anyone on a tech forum should know how it works- you downplay weaknesses, point out strengths, attack ethics of competitor, etc.. How many times have you seen an AMD fan pointing out "bang for buck", evil intel's nefarious plan for monopoly, or that with resolution and AA itr doens't matter what CPU you use? Lots.

Same with any company, it's how PR works.

ATi has no PhysX? It's the most important thing in the world to have!

NVIDIA runs hotter? OMFGBBQ!

See it all over the web, every day of the week.

"I live in Florida, have no AC, and an ambient temp that is usually in the 90s. What is the best card for me?"

"I live in France, and electricity costs 38 cents a KWh here. What is the best <$200 card for me???"

Etc ad infinitum

Rig 2:

Old 10-17-11, 10:58 PM   #93
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

While it is disappointing that Bulldozer didn't come out of the gate as competitor for Intel on the Desktop I doubt these chips will be the complete fail some are predicting as they'll actually be great for the server market.

Even small to mid size businesses use virtualization where the more cores the better and hyper-threading != more cores. They don't need to be 4GHz cores capable of producing high frame rates in games. Most are likely in the range of 1.8GHz - 2.4GHz. Being able to purchase a single 16 core server part as opposed to even 2 8GHz parts is preferable... server motherboards are $$$$$.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 11:55 PM   #94
sillyeagle
sillyego

I don't know why everybody is trashing AMD so bad. I think the chip will do just fine with OEMs.

Most people who buy PC's don't look at CPU benchmarks, etc. They look at marketing info. "4.2Ghz 8-core AMD FX Processor" looks a lot better than "3.8GHz 4-core Intel i7 Processor". In addition to looking like the more powerful computer the AMD system will be cheaper than the Intel system.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-18-11, 06:07 PM   #95
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I don't know why everybody is trashing AMD so bad. I think the chip will do just fine with OEMs.

Most people who buy PC's don't look at CPU benchmarks, etc. They look at marketing info. "4.2Ghz 8-core AMD FX Processor" looks a lot better than "3.8GHz 4-core Intel i7 Processor". In addition to looking like the more powerful computer the AMD system will be cheaper than the Intel system.
AMD chips are ALWAYS cheaper than intel, yet they only have a small market share. This was true even when they had better products. Now they have much worse products and are more expensive than better cpus.

Rig 2:

Old 10-18-11, 06:10 PM   #96
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post

most people in store now look at WEI scores.