Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-11, 05:40 AM   #25
jonb87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb87 View Post
Hi have monitored Xorg memory use every hour, and see huge jumps for no obvious reason.
I decided to monitor memory usage much more closely - every 10 seconds.
I noticed a huge jump from 170m -> 606m when I opened a pdf file with okular, via a download from firefox.
Now I'd already downloaded and had open 3 other pdf's at the time.
This happened to be bigger, but is a file a little over 1Mbyte, so hardly large.

I closed all okular processes and this had no effect on xorg memory use. It is still 606m.

Does this help?
Is there anything else I can look at to help diagnose this?
jonb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 05:44 AM   #26
jonb87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddiofile View Post
I had the same problem on Debian Testing after a recent upgrade. It was better, but 2 more options to switch on in xorg.conf helped too, as per the suggestion here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/xor...nux-fedora-12/

Option “RenderAccel” “on”
Option “UseEvents” “on”
I have tried bundles of these sorts of these suggestions. All to no avail.
My current setup:
Code:
[1039]: cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf
Section "Device"

    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "Quadro FX 1800"
## The following recommendations are from http://wiki.compiz.org/Hardware/NVIDIA
    Option         "RenderAccel" "true"
#    Option         "UseEvents" "false"
    Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
    Option "BackingStore" "True"
EndSection
jonb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 12:05 PM   #27
oddiofile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Default Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

[quote=jonb87;2490263]I have tried bundles of these sorts of these suggestions. All to no avail.

Yeah, I updated my post to reflect that while it helped a bit, my problem still remains.

The more concurrent things I have running, the worse it gets.
And ooimpress (when opening a 100 page document) starts up, opens a file, shows me the first page, and then CRASHES every time. Reproducible! Most other GTK+ apps such as thunderbird and firefox also perform badly.

It *seems* as if it is no longer using the video card memory, but just swapping in and out of main memory. It reminds me of how my computer used to behave when I used the on-board video card instead of the external card. But worse.

Last edited by oddiofile; 10-20-11 at 12:07 AM.
oddiofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 03:11 PM   #28
sarbash
Sergey Sarbash
 
sarbash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia
Posts: 7
Send a message via ICQ to sarbash Send a message via Skype™ to sarbash
Smile Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

[telepathy mode on]
I guess you use last Xorg of version 1.11.*. If it is then you should try to downgrade Xorg to something like 1.10.* (in Debian is 1.6.*).
You're the one of many experiencing the performance regression with last Xorg. There are a few threads here about similar problems.
It's all about trapezoid acceleration. There is the unofficial path for temporary solution.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=15
Please, be patient and wait for next driver update.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...5&postcount=57
Or downgrade Xorg as suggested.
[/telepathy mode off]
sarbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 08:15 AM   #29
jsnjack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

xorock
Did you try nouveau driver? It works fine for me (I mean, xorg cpu consumption).
jsnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 03:16 PM   #30
oddiofile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Default Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

I tried building xorg from source with that patch but I had trouble installing it properly.
In the end, I installed the nouveau driver, which most definitely does not have this problem. xorg is no longer the bottleneck now. Thanks for the help!

PS: you are correct about the version of xorg I was using too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbash View Post
[telepathy mode on]
I guess you use last Xorg of version 1.11.*. If it is then you should try to downgrade Xorg to something like 1.10.* (in Debian is 1.6.*).
You're the one of many experiencing the performance regression with last Xorg. There are a few threads here about similar problems.
It's all about trapezoid acceleration. There is the unofficial path for temporary solution.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=15
Please, be patient and wait for next driver update.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...5&postcount=57
Or downgrade Xorg as suggested.
[/telepathy mode off]
oddiofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-11, 05:29 AM   #31
jonb87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb87 View Post
I decided to monitor memory usage much more closely - every 10 seconds.
I noticed a huge jump from 170m -> 606m when I opened a pdf file with okular, via a download from firefox.
Now I'd already downloaded and had open 3 other pdf's at the time.
This happened to be bigger, but is a file a little over 1Mbyte, so hardly large.

I closed all okular processes and this had no effect on xorg memory use. It is still 606m.

Does this help?
Is there anything else I can look at to help diagnose this?
OK, I've been running for a few days now without running okular (using foxit reader instead).
And memory use (and so performance) have been just fine.
Memory use by Xorg has not wavered by more than a few Mbytes - whereas previously it jumped by 100's MBytes!

So I don't know whether it is okular per se that is defective, or whether okular simply uses some xorg/nvidea call/feature that exposes the defect.
Anyway, using foxit reader instead of okular has made my desktop usable and reliable once again!
This only appears ok statistically, but so far so good. I shall post every week or so to reconfirm. If I have time, I'll start using okular again to recheck that that still fails.
jonb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-11, 10:27 AM   #32
jonb87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default Re: Nvidia 9600GT: Xorg process and high CPU usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb87 View Post
OK, I've been running for a few days now without running okular (using foxit reader instead).
And memory use (and so performance) have been just fine.
Memory use by Xorg has not wavered by more than a few Mbytes - whereas previously it jumped by 100's MBytes!

So I don't know whether it is okular per se that is defective, or whether okular simply uses some xorg/nvidea call/feature that exposes the defect.
Anyway, using foxit reader instead of okular has made my desktop usable and reliable once again!
This only appears ok statistically, but so far so good. I shall post every week or so to reconfirm. If I have time, I'll start using okular again to recheck that that still fails.
I may have spoken too soon! I just opened a pptx document sent to me, and Xorg memory consumption jumped by 300MBytes. So it's certainly not just okular that exposes this defect.
jonb87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.