Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-11, 01:45 PM   #13
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: iPhone 4S reviews

Ok...let's not turn this into a pissing match...
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 02:52 PM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Hey appletard... that's the same price as the 32GB iPhone 4S, the Droid Razr comes with 32GB of storage... DUH. The difference is that with the Droid Razr you get new updated hardware and LTE... on the iPhone 4S you get old hardware and a ****ty voice program.
It all depends on what you need in a phone. I don't need 32GB of storage, nor do I need a quad-dual-tri-core CPU with 29912991TB of RAM. I stream all of my music, video and pictures so I don't need a ton of local storage. Also 4G isn't a standard like 3G is at the moment, and 3G is fast enough for what I do on my phone. Plus Wifi hotspots are everywhere I go. Heck the iPhone 4 is plenty for me; it's a nice, fast phone with an awesome OS. The 4S is just a small step up with the A5 built in, I'll take that for $200.

Not trying to turn this into a pissing match, sorry.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 03:07 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Yup, Apple overcharges big time with the iPhone 4S. In other news, the new Moto RAZR will debut at an affordable $299!

Everybody I know who bought a 4S has had nothing but good things to say so far. Siri is spot on compared to Google's voice software (from friends who have owned both phones) and iOS 5 is really awesome (IMO).
My comment wasn't referring directly to the iPhone 4S price, more of their general business model for large profit margins on their hardware. It's cute how you come to their rescue, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Voice recognition needs to be fast and snappy, I'd say the main reason for it to be 4S exclusive is the faster hardware. I'm really interested to see performance comparisons to the "hacked" version on the previous generation hardware.

If you think that Apple doesn't have the back end for this, then what do you think would happen if a smaller company would launch such a thing? Assuming they would reach the same sales numbers of course.
I'm not saying they don't have the back end for it, I'm saying they're not appropriating enough of it. Big difference.

And there's no reason they can't run Siri on older hardware. They're just trying to improve their sales.

http://lifehacker.com/5850152/

Quote:
iPhone developer Steven Troughton-Smith managed to port Siri to iPhone 4 as shown in the above video, but Apple is not currently authenticating Siri commands from iPhone 4. This means that you can certainly install Siri on your iPhone 4 but the digital personal assistant will not respond to your inquiries.

Tech bloggers are speculating that Apple may wish to only allow Siri to connect to their servers using the new iPhone 4S even though there is no technical reason that iPhone 4 and iPad 2 should not be able to use the feature. Perhaps Apple will introduce Siri to these devices once the 4S has been available for a few months.
Nice to see the love Apple shows for its loyal fans.

I hope they do release it to older phones as well (since it is a beta atm). But this is Apple we are talking about, so who knows wtf they'll do...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 04:23 PM   #16
ViN86

Quote:
For now, there is no point in releasing Siri on the iPad. Most of it's features are for mobile phones on the go. For example when your phone is in your pocket and you just talk to it, for texting or taking calls.
The iPad is something you use at home, the need for voice control is limited right now.
Maybe later when productivity tasks will be more of a topic. Like dictating a text in Pages or stuff like that.

Sure some Apple doubters are coming up with reasons why it's only available on the 4S but I don't think money is the reason. Performance might me too sluggish on older hardware and the iPad doesn't yet go well with the commands or Siri's current typical usage method.
I would really like to see a performance comparison between the two iPhone generations. And also I'd like to know what gets send back to the servers. I haven't looked for it online but that would be really interesting. Stuff like this is very, very demanding. If some of the voice recognition happens locally, then I can completely understand why it's only supported on the fastest hardware right now.

The blocking of request from other, non official devices is logical. You don't support something that is not official and just hacked by some guy.

However, I can also understand the money reason. A lot of companies are working like this. When Mercedes releases a groundbreaking new feature, they'll start offering it in the S Class first.
But I don't think finding the reason for the 4S exclusivity is that easy in this case.
My understanding is that the majority of the Siri features (i.e. interpretation) are run on Apple's servers. Then the interpreted message is sent back to the phone for events to be stored locally. So naturally they can only accommodate so many people, and adding support for iPhone 4 would require substantial hardware upgrades on their side. My gripe was mainly that they can barely accommodate the current 4S users, which I thought was pathetic.

Now I could be wrong, and the majority of the interpretation could be done on the phone, in which case I guess I can understand why it's 4S exclusive, but honestly the iPhone 4 isn't that much slower. Besides it's been demonstrated that Siri runs fine on iPhone 4, so I doubt that's the case.

It's the same as my complaint about DICE when they released BC2 but were surprised when their servers were overwhelmed lol.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-11, 03:40 PM   #17
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

I returned my Galaxy SII for the 4s, small minor issues with android turned me off from the phone with my everyday needs also finding a headset to work was one of the main thngs, i blame samsung for this im not a huge fan of bluetooth headsets which seemed to be the only ones with fuctional buttons, but pressing play makes android play 2 different media apps? one with my music the other with podcasts. Also If I took a picture while music was playing it would stop the music, couldnt turn shutter sound off. I also had several apps force closing on me, including text messaging until I rebooted my phone or cleared the ram. I went to forums and such but in all honestly I just didnt have the time and didnt feel like I need to put in effort to to fix things that should just work out the box. It all just became annoying so I just went back to iphone and all is well.
Old 10-20-11, 08:42 AM   #18
DiscipleDOC

I love my SII. This is a very fast phone, and it's the sleekest phone that I've owned. I had an iPhone and returned it for an android phone, and I have not looked back.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 09:26 AM   #19
Revs

I hhhhhhhate iTunes and that's by main beef with iPhone's, but I had many others ('no service' problems, etc). I'm still getting on with my Desire HD and Froyo and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Godda give Apple the thumbs-up on classy looking hardware, though. And the screen is yummy.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 09:59 AM   #20
Hogrider

Old 11-01-11, 09:23 AM   #21
Smee

Quote:
Indeed. Anyone dropping an Apple product deserves to get it scratched. That's just not something you do.
Boy, you two are fuxing brilliant.. Following your logic, why buy a car with seat belts and airbags?, I've never been in an accident.
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 09:58 AM   #22
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I hhhhhhhate iTunes and that's by main beef with iPhone's, but I had many others ('no service' problems, etc). I'm still getting on with my Desire HD and Froyo and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Godda give Apple the thumbs-up on classy looking hardware, though. And the screen is yummy.
You know you don't need iTunes, right? I haven't used it in a year.

Old 11-02-11, 06:56 AM   #23
Hogrider

My wife's Android phone is acting really screwy and my Samsung Vibrant ain't exactly trouble free. She wants an iphone 4s and to be honest I wouldn't mind having one either. Will have to see how badly T Mobile hits us for early termination...
Old 11-03-11, 08:21 PM   #24
Hogrider

Screw it, T Mobile wants $200 from us for each phone to terminate the contract. I ain't paying $400 just to get out. We'll either have to wait till February when the cost will be $100 per phone to tell them to f off or July and it won't cost anything.