Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-11, 03:28 AM   #1
K007
 
K007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Sydney
Posts: 9,406
Default Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch



http://kotaku.com/5851953/doom-4-ind...ointing-launch

Quote:
A source claiming to be close to the publishers of the recently-launched Rage has told Kotaku that, at a recent "company wide" meeting held in Dallas, Bethesda and parent company Zenimax made the decision to "indefinitely postpone" development of Doom 4.
K007 is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 04:58 AM   #2
Rummy
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

LOL
Rummy is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 07:47 AM   #3
trivium nate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,023
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

wtf
__________________
CM-HAF-932//AMD Phenom-II-X4-965-BE-Deneb-3.4 GHz-Quad Core//CorsairH50
ASRock 770 EXTREME3 Mobo//EVGA GTX-480(1536MB GDDR5)-Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme+cooler
180GB SSD//3TB//G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB//DVD-RW//blu-Ray//1000 Watt Corsair PSU
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 08:08 AM   #4
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Doom 4 'The console players choice' ?

Never been a fan of ID's work, dont like Doom 3 and RAGE confirmed all thoughts i had about ID software and Carmack....
Logical is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 08:52 AM   #5
logan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 492
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Never been a fan of ID's work, dont like Doom 3 and RAGE confirmed all thoughts i had about ID software and Carmack....
I'd been a fan of id Software until Doom 3. After Rage, I'm done. No more hoping for better days or better games. They sat on Quake 3 for way too long, and both Valve and Epic flew right past them. They're a 3rd rate game developer at best now that just happens to design engines. In my opinion they should leave the games to someone more creative, preferably someone who isn't stuck in 1993. After seeing all the visual issues with Rage I'm not even sure they should be doing engines anymore either.
logan is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 05:08 PM   #6
cmsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 94
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
I'd been a fan of id Software until Doom 3. After Rage, I'm done. No more hoping for better days or better games. They sat on Quake 3 for way too long, and both Valve and Epic flew right past them. They're a 3rd rate game developer at best now that just happens to design engines. In my opinion they should leave the games to someone more creative, preferably someone who isn't stuck in 1993. After seeing all the visual issues with Rage I'm not even sure they should be doing engines anymore either.
I do want to stress that I have not played the game. And I have no intentions of playing it either. Having said that...

I'm not so sure all the visual issues can be blamed on the game. Carmack and Comp still use OpenGL for games. I bet the video drivers just aren't there when it comes to OpenGL for games and a healthy amount of blame lies with them. Outside of Carmack/Id and the one or two companies that license their engine(s), who still uses OpenGL?

Still, after looking at gameplay videos, I think it's safe to say that Carmack is behind the times. All his games basically have pretty graphics. However, outside of being able to point a weapon at a crate or something and blow it up, there really isn't much interaction between the players and the environments. Here comes a baddy, just aim and shoot. Look for ammo and the occasional weapon you can pick up to add to your arsenal. The same ol' @#$% over and over. Does Rage have any places where wind blows grass or dust around? Do you ever see trees sway with the wind? How about weather effects? Are there any physics in the game? I'm betting the answer to most of those is a 'no'.

This is where a game such as the upcomming Battlefield 3 is going to leave Rage behind. I don't know which has the best graphics (I'm betting BF3 does...) but that isn't the issue. Carmack isn't creating game engines that create an interact, immersive environment and draw you into it like the other games comming out do.

As I said, his stuff is just more of the same.
cmsmith is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 05:37 PM   #7
sillyeagle
sillyego
 
sillyeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,394
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith View Post
Does Rage have any places where wind blows grass or dust around? Do you ever see trees sway with the wind? How about weather effects? Are there any physics in the game? I'm betting the answer to most of those is a 'no'.
Of course it has physics, wind, weather, blowing dust/debris, water dripping from the environments, etc. What game doesn't? Even Doom 3 had some impressive wind and dust effects going on.
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.0GHz
EVGA GTX 660 SLI @ 1046MHz
OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
EVGA Intel X58
_____________
A man's dreams are an index to his greatness.
sillyeagle is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 10:43 PM   #8
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith View Post
I do want to stress that I have not played the game. And I have no intentions of playing it either. Having said that...

I'm not so sure all the visual issues can be blamed on the game. Carmack and Comp still use OpenGL for games. I bet the video drivers just aren't there when it comes to OpenGL for games and a healthy amount of blame lies with them. Outside of Carmack/Id and the one or two companies that license their engine(s), who still uses OpenGL?

Still, after looking at gameplay videos, I think it's safe to say that Carmack is behind the times. All his games basically have pretty graphics. However, outside of being able to point a weapon at a crate or something and blow it up, there really isn't much interaction between the players and the environments. Here comes a baddy, just aim and shoot. Look for ammo and the occasional weapon you can pick up to add to your arsenal. The same ol' @#$% over and over. Does Rage have any places where wind blows grass or dust around? Do you ever see trees sway with the wind? How about weather effects? Are there any physics in the game? I'm betting the answer to most of those is a 'no'.

This is where a game such as the upcomming Battlefield 3 is going to leave Rage behind. I don't know which has the best graphics (I'm betting BF3 does...) but that isn't the issue. Carmack isn't creating game engines that create an interact, immersive environment and draw you into it like the other games comming out do.

As I said, his stuff is just more of the same.
It's not the fault of the graphics API, that should be transparent. OpenGL drivers are good, they need to be because most game developers use it for workstations. OpenGL has actually progress faster than DX in recent years.
Sean_W is offline  

Old 10-23-11, 01:34 AM   #9
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
OpenGL has actually progress faster than DX in recent years.
How so? Even Carmack himself said the opposite, even said DX is far better in his opinion, but that he uses OGL instead as a matter of principle.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline  
Old 10-23-11, 07:48 AM   #10
cmsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 94
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
Of course it has physics, wind, weather, blowing dust/debris, water dripping from the environments, etc. What game doesn't? Even Doom 3 had some impressive wind and dust effects going on.
I've never seen any of that stuff in ID's games in the past. I didn't play all of Doom 3 (was bored with it) so I'll have to take your word for it. However, I did play a large part of it; I don't recall seeing that stuff.

If that stuff exists in the game, then their promotional videos don't show it from what I've seen. Somebody in their PR needs to be fired.
cmsmith is offline  
Old 10-23-11, 09:06 PM   #11
Holy Smoke
Registered User
 
Holy Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 179
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Since no one has mentioned it, this rumor has been thoroughly debunked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
How so? Even Carmack himself said the opposite, even said DX is far better in his opinion, but that he uses OGL instead as a matter of principle.
He didn't say it was far better, it just handles some things better. DirectX being the better API doesn't quite equate to it being more flexible in all things. Rage, for example, is an OpenGL 4.2 game with DX10 level hardware being the bare minimum requirement. Using OpenGL makes it able to run on Windows XP whereas it would be limited to Vista/Win7 systems if it were using DirectX. The ability to use extensions can go a long way.

DirectX also isn't without its own overheads. Their only reason to make the switch would probably be to avoid AMD's shoddy OpenGL driver.
__________________
It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool.
Holy Smoke is offline  
Old 10-23-11, 10:28 PM   #12
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Doom 4 "Indefinitely Postponed" Following Rage’s Disappointing Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smoke View Post
Since no one has mentioned it, this rumor has been thoroughly debunked.



He didn't say it was far better, it just handles some things better. DirectX being the better API doesn't quite equate to it being more flexible in all things. Rage, for example, is an OpenGL 4.2 game with DX10 level hardware being the bare minimum requirement. Using OpenGL makes it able to run on Windows XP whereas it would be limited to Vista/Win7 systems if it were using DirectX. The ability to use extensions can go a long way.

DirectX also isn't without its own overheads. Their only reason to make the switch would probably be to avoid AMD's shoddy OpenGL driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
They already denied that rumor.
It says so even in that article
.

Yea let's close this thread.
ViN86 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.