Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-11, 06:48 PM   #1
rbonafied

Default Newbie suspend question - nvidia driver corrupts hibernate image?

Hi,

I'm running a PCI Geforce 8400 gs in an older system using driver 285.05.09. I have no way to disable the onboard S3 Chrome video thru bios. - just saying . Before I added the PCI nvidia card, putting the system into suspend worked fine. I was able to resume.

However, since activating the nvidia driver and card, suspend suspends but never comes back. The power switch glows blue intermittently which is good, but pushing it doesn't do anything other kick the cooling fans to max for a minute. Additionally, I see this message in the log:

PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.

Without the nvidia driver, this message doesn't appear.
rbonafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 01:16 AM   #2
sandipt
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Newbie suspend question - nvidia driver corrupts hibernate image?

Install dmidecode package and Please attach nvidia bug report by running nvidia-bug-report.sh as root. Does this issue reproduce if you do : echo disk > /sys/power/state ?
sandipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 09:49 PM   #3
rbonafied

Default SOLVED: Newbie suspend question - nvidia driver corrupts hibernate image?

Solved

My original theory was kinda wrong. I assumed the hibernate message in my kernel log was the result of the nvidia driver. After doing more research, I found the message was there even when the driver wasn't loaded.

However, it was true that the driver kinda caused the pm-suspend to not resume. The reason was a line in the /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler . When I commented out the 'using_nvidia' function definition, the suspend worked properly. I think when that function is active it disables all quirk processing. Perhaps that is a good thing for AGP or PCIE based card? I don't know. Either way, it's working now.
rbonafied is offline   Reply With Quote