Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-11, 06:33 PM   #49
Logical

Default Re: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 FAQs released

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Your leagues use perks? I mean most leagues use barebones (no perks/killstreaks) and restrict unbalanced weapons. Still mod tools are nice to have, but they're not absolutely necessary. Black Ops wasn't terrible in competitive play before they added mod tools.

MW3 probably won't be terrible either, but I can't justify spending $60 on what is essentially a MW2 patch, for competitive PC play. I will probably pick it up on 360 to play with my friends and for SP, but I don't see the benefit on PC.
Promod for cod4 uses perks of course it does... Bandolier and stopping power, you dont get to select them though....Black ops and competitive play shouldn't really be in the same sentence. But for those that do like to play clan wars on BLOPS XKmod is the only way to go, if only it had been released close to launch...hmmmm

You see the pattern...Stock CoD games fail at esports - add a competition mod and it starts to be played at all major LAN's. BLOPS was just too late with the mod tools.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 11:38 AM   #50
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Promod for cod4 uses perks of course it does... Bandolier and stopping power, you dont get to select them though....Black ops and competitive play shouldn't really be in the same sentence. But for those that do like to play clan wars on BLOPS XKmod is the only way to go, if only it had been released close to launch...hmmmm

You see the pattern...Stock CoD games fail at esports - add a competition mod and it starts to be played at all major LAN's. BLOPS was just too late with the mod tools.
I thought you were referring to Black Ops prior to mod tools launch. I know Promod has some perks enabled (xkMod does too) by default. Actually Promod was a little more lenient than xkMod as it gave a few options.

I mean some people hated Black Ops prior to xkMod but it wasn't that bad. Hell, there are a lot of people who hate xkMod, too, probably because it doesn't have the "Promod" name. And prior to mod tools there were still 100's of teams playing competitively in Black Ops, so it couldn't have been that big of a deal. Although that's died off lately due to poor registration for barebones leagues, lack of mod support (xkMod writer abandoned it) and BF3 and MW3 dropping soon. Although there are still a few HC leagues with a lot of teams signed up.

MW3 will be the same way without mod tools. It will be barebones with restrictions on certain weapons. I know "pro" PC players like to think they're an important factor in a game's direction, but the truth is, they're (or should I say we're) the extreme minority, and often the last people considered when a game is being developed. MW3 is an excellent example of that. It's like they took MW2 and slapped on "dedicated servers" (aka private unranked servers that serve no purpose besides competitive play) after the fact, then claim the game is geared towards competitive PC play.

Honestly we should abandon all hope that new games will be geared towards the competitive play that we've grown accustomed to in the past. Long gone are the days of Shrub, banimod, OSP, Promod, PAM, and the likes. Games have gone the way of Apple; we have to play the game the way they designed it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 01:22 PM   #51
Logical

Never a truer word spoken Vin, have you seen CS:GO ? Its a damn joke...

As always it is upto the communities to cater for esports, this is why mod tools is always in the top 5 questions to a dev in regards to a new FPS game.

Current activity in Europes Clanbase league.. http://clanbase.ggl.com/news.php

CoD2 SD ladder = 3925 active clans

CoD4 SD ladder = 1932 active clans

CoD:BO ladder = 12 active clans

MW2 SD ladder has been removed due to no activity but the 2v2/3v3 ladder has 2 active clans

MoHAA objective realism ladder = 209 active clans

CSS Team match = 87 active clans

Call of Duty 2 is the most active ladder with CoD4 coming 2nd with half as much activity...Even MoHAA after 10 years is still kicking it with over 200 active clans...The question is why? Well simply because MoHAA, CoD2 and CoD4 have never been beaten by any other game in the same genre when it comes to esports, players see no reason to move on if there is nothing worth moving onto and this is why they are now a minority, as rather than stick with a game they just move on from playing competitively altogether (i played mohaa competitively for 4 years, CoD2 for 12 months and CoD4 for 2 years).
Old 10-24-11, 03:56 PM   #52
FlakMagnet

I always like LAN support because it means me and a bunch of friends can get together and play for fun while drinking a few beers. It's a social event too. We currently play CoD:BO because BFBC2 doesn't support LAN. Unfortunately, BF3 will not support LAN either, so we are currently stuck with BO. We've done the other CoDs to death and are looking for something new, so for us, MW3 could be just the thing. We don't play MW2 because some of us (including me) boycotted it because of no dedicated servers.

I don't think LAN support is for competitive play only. It's for guys who like to have fun too
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 04:18 PM   #53
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlakMagnet View Post
I always like LAN support because it means me and a bunch of friends can get together and play for fun while drinking a few beers. It's a social event too. We currently play CoD:BO because BFBC2 doesn't support LAN. Unfortunately, BF3 will not support LAN either, so we are currently stuck with BO. We've done the other CoDs to death and are looking for something new, so for us, MW3 could be just the thing. We don't play MW2 because some of us (including me) boycotted it because of no dedicated servers.

I don't think LAN support is for competitive play only. It's for guys who like to have fun too
Yea and even the LAN scene has changed over the past few years. Devs no longer release server tools with their game, since it's more profitable to sell exclusivity for game servers rather than make it available for anyone. It also allows the dev to control what updates people use and block pirates (ahh the good old piracy excuse). It used to be great to fire up your own local server and play with friends on a completely lag-free LAN, but those days are gone too.

I guess P2P helps a little with that since it is essentially the same (although still not a local dedicated server), but it's just another example of how PC gaming that we knew and loved from its inception until 2007 has become a victim of the Apple product model.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 11:30 AM   #54
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
I know valve gets a pass for the source engine and i'd love to see that thing retired and progress made on a new engine.
I'm willing to bet that they're re-writing or at least overhauling source for EP3. That's what I keep telling myself at least. That's the only legit/excusable reason I can think of for it to be taking THIS long.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 12:03 PM   #55
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
I'm willing to bet that they're re-writing or at least overhauling source for EP3. That's what I keep telling myself at least. That's the only legit/excusable reason I can think of for it to be taking THIS long.
The Source Engine is my favorite gaming engine and it still looks amazing even today IMO.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 03:02 PM   #56
Logical

Old 11-01-11, 03:24 PM   #57
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
I wonder if they all sleep in that bed?

Is that real? That has to be fake. That is how we all view COD and MOH gamers though.
WRT quick scoping, that alone would make me not play the game.
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 04:42 PM   #58
bacon12

*****ing awesome.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 05:06 PM   #59
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

not sure whats the difference with "quickscoping" and just scoping in fast and flicking mouse (like I do in CSS or Cod4).
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 06:04 PM   #60
bacon12

Blops didn't have quick scope.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote