Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-10, 08:39 AM   #37
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow

the old school castlevania fanboy in me got to my better judgement and the fairly positive reviews up till now had me convinced this is a decent game... I think by most standards it wouldn't be bad if god of war and dantes inferno and bayonetta never existed
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 10:15 AM   #38
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
OMG At least play Uncharted 2! Resistence 1 and 2 are K. Killzone 2 is fun. Play those.

I had Castlevania in my cart last night when i ordered Enslaved, Fallout Vegas and just as it happens, Dante's Inferno was on sale so I grabbed it also. I took Castlevania out though. Gonna save it for laters, besides it was 60USD, no way I'm paying that much.
I just finished Enslaved last night and for the PS3 version that I played, I would say it is horrible. How anyone gave this game a good rating above a 6 is a mystery. People didn't like the fixed camera angles on Castlevania, but Enslaved has some of the worst camera angles when fighting. The fight system is not very good at all and the texture pop up on the PS3 version (can't speak about the 360 version) is horrible and the type of Unreal Engine 3 like problems that plagued the ME on the XB360. It's also buggy, every now and then it would stop letting me switch the staff plasma/stun setting, and no way to get it to work again other than quitting the game and restarting. That is a big deal when it's essential to use stun to get by shielded enemies on some levels and if you didn't hit a checkpoint, you'll be redoing stuff unnecessarily. I was pretty disappointed in the game especially since I thought, even though short, Heavenly Sword was pretty good game by Ninja Theory.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 12:58 PM   #39
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
3 hours into it... it's like a bad dante's inferno ripoff

Only with worse controls and worse camera view.

I was reading more reviews today and stumbled upon this one which may sound harsh but is pretty spot on and I'm usually pretty forgiving of games unless they're just terrible.

http://diehardgamefan.com/2010/10/11...adow-sony-ps3/

I seriously want to just put god of war III in and be reminded of exactly how it's done but I want to finish this damn game since I paid for it.

Once I do, it's going on ebay. I've got resistance 1 and 2, uncharted 2 and killzone 2 still in their wrappers.
OMFG, Uncharted 2? Really?

UNWRAP THAT NOW AND PLAY IT. Easily one of the best games ever.

Resistance 1 and 2 and Killzone 2 are meh.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 10:13 PM   #40
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
I just finished Enslaved last night and for the PS3 version that I played, I would say it is horrible. How anyone gave this game a good rating above a 6 is a mystery. People didn't like the fixed camera angles on Castlevania, but Enslaved has some of the worst camera angles when fighting. The fight system is not very good at all and the texture pop up on the PS3 version (can't speak about the 360 version) is horrible and the type of Unreal Engine 3 like problems that plagued the ME on the XB360. It's also buggy, every now and then it would stop letting me switch the staff plasma/stun setting, and no way to get it to work again other than quitting the game and restarting. That is a big deal when it's essential to use stun to get by shielded enemies on some levels and if you didn't hit a checkpoint, you'll be redoing stuff unnecessarily. I was pretty disappointed in the game especially since I thought, even though short, Heavenly Sword was pretty good game by Ninja Theory.
Well I loved the demo. Kinda annoyed they went with the Unreal Engine, as you say the texture popup is crap. I played both 360 and PS3 and PS3 is a smoother, but I love the story, the fighting is pretty tactical, no way a masher, I also loved the old Japanese Monkey series which is based off the same story Enslaved is based off. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 02:06 PM   #41
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Pretty much this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ords-of-Shadow

I'm playing symphony of the night on xbox arcade and it's so much better. SO much better!!
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
Old 10-28-10, 02:56 PM   #42
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
I love Enslaved. I am on my playthrought right now. It sooo much reminds me of Beyond good and evil (which is yet to be beaten as most incredible/heart game) which is good.
I like music, characters and overall graphics.

Gameplay is a bit dull but It doesnt matter for me as atmosphere is very good. Facial animations and look in Trip eyes ... damn. Those have to be some of best eyes/facial animation Ive seen.
For me .. Its a great heart moving game. but as a game i would give it 7-8/10
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 08:59 PM   #43
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
I've got resistance 1 and 2, uncharted 2 and killzone 2 still in their wrappers.
TURN IN YOUR GAMER CARD SIR
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 04:52 PM   #44
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Well I loved the demo. Kinda annoyed they went with the Unreal Engine, as you say the texture popup is crap. I played both 360 and PS3 and PS3 is a smoother, but I love the story, the fighting is pretty tactical, no way a masher, I also loved the old Japanese Monkey series which is based off the same story Enslaved is based off. ::
btw. Finsihed Enslaved. Very good game. Ending was quite suprising but allright. No cliffhanger **** as most games
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-11, 09:26 AM   #45
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

I know this is an old thread but I decided while I wait for skyrim, I would go back and revisit some unfinished games.

I stopped early in chapter II of this game and after reading more reviews, it seems like you have to give it more time to get better and although I still don't think this is nearly as good as GOW III, it is getting better.

The combat is fun and fluid, the environment and set pieces are just gorgeous and they do a good job of balancing the happy cheerful areas with the dark depressing areas. The voice acting is also very good. Picard's narrations before each level sometimes give me chills it's so good.

So yeah. I spoke too soon on this one. It's turning out to be better than I thought and I do feel that the game is a bit underrated compared to some of the other turds out there getting better scores.

I think the main problem is that this particular genre of game has such well acclaimed titles that have done so many things so well that it's hard for a new game to come in and NOT be compared to them. Seeing this game for what it is though, I feel that it's actually turning out to be quite good.

- Server -

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
Old 10-26-11, 10:33 AM   #46
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Also, now that both DLC's, Reverie and Resurrection are out, after reading the reviews of those, particularly resurrection, it REALLY makes me want to see this story through to it's end. From the reviews, reverie is ok but resurrection really ties the story together and makes it all worth playing through.

- Server -

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
Old 10-26-11, 12:33 PM   #47
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

yeah the game is pretty good i think, looks very nice and got decent music, though less memorable then previous games.
It's a lot better then Dantes inferno thats for sure.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11, 04:24 PM   #48
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

I started this game at least six months ago and am still not done it.
Large stretches in between playing it. Don't much like the controls.
Every time I start playing it again I forget the controls, where I am and the combos.
I usually end up button mashing.

I have about 35 PS3 games and only beat maybe 6 of them.
God Of War III hasn't been played yet either.

Too many games on PS3 and PC.
8 Gigs Kingston 1333 DD3
Asus VH238H 23" LED 2ms
WD 1TB Caviar Black 64MB cache SATA 6 Gb/s
CM Silent Pro 850 Watt

Band: http://www.myspace.com/hollowappostle
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote