Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-11, 04:07 PM   #61
rudedog
Not so Rude

Default Re: DICE: Lead Developement of BF3 Switched To Consoles.

I'll take Dice's way of development over the CoD way any day... CoD = Developer on the console, then have a big console release preview party then start working on the PC sku, about 1-2 weeks before it ships. When a developer can't give you a straight answer (because their still planning, working and developing) so close to release/gold you know their is going to be quality and playability issues.

Why wouldn't you take the lead platform on the more robust platform and then scale it to fit the less robust platform. Instead of the majority of developers who plan and develope on the least common denominator.

Also seems that Dice is doing a great job of following up, listening, trying to help "ALL PLATFORMS" instead of vanishing on a 2-3 week vacation when their game hits the store shelves.
BDR-202|X-Fi Fatal1ty 2.07.0004|Logitec G7-setpoint 3.1.116|Ergodex DX1-firmware 1.1-driver1.3|Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD|PCPower and Cooling TurboCool 1000 SLI|Windows 7 Ultimate|Klipsch THX 5.1
Imac: Snow Leopard|27" screen|i7 2.93|12 GB|ATI HD 5750 1G|WD 1T SATA|2xWD 2T firewire 800|Sharing Dell 24"
Laptop: MBP|2.16|2GB ram|160drive
Laptop 2: MBP Unibody|2.66|4GB ram|320drive
Camera: D700 + MB-D10 + EN-EL3e + GP1|Nikon14-24 f2.8|nikon24-70 f2.8|nikon70-200 f2.8|nikon 50 f1.4|Sigma 150-500
Car: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purl|6 Speed|Power roof|Super Track Pack|20" classic rims|Functional ram air hood
Old 11-02-11, 04:21 PM   #62
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
And? What's your point?

Is the game fun? Are you enjoying playing it?

WTF is wrong with PC gamers these days when they can't just enjoy their hobby and stop crying about insignificant bull****?
I don't have problem with the game and never said I did.
Old 11-02-11, 04:25 PM   #63
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

This is pretty much why squad support is poor, chat support is poor and mouse clicking on the damn spawn map is missing. Still love the game but why do they make these silly mistakes.
Old 11-02-11, 04:26 PM   #64
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElL33t View Post
There isn't any "press enter to begin" in the multiplayer part of the game. Maybe the single player part is what they switched to, cuz from what I hear it is bad.

BTW many PC games have "press enter to begin" in the game.
Yes, because they're multiplatform games, besides, the "Press start to begin" screens don't make any sense for PC games. IMHO it's just an annoying screen to show with no point.

I prefer the BFBC2 menu and I like the tabbed layout.
Old 11-02-11, 05:08 PM   #65
MaXThReAT

Wow. I pretty much agree with everything everyone said in this thread.
For me it gives me a bad feeling, what DICE did. When I'm told PC is the "lead" platform it conjure up images and feelings of a game that will take full advantage of the PC platform. Like back in the day when we had to buy new video cards every six months to a year...had to. When I hear any kind of multi-platform development took place or it was "ported" I get the feeling my PC will not be fully taken advantage of and the game will not be as good as it could have been on PC only.

Here are the facts to me. Consoles are not as powerful as a modern PC. Consoles are simply not capable of the same graphic and processing power. It's a fact people. A modern PC could really do a lot more. Physics, high resolution textures, farther view distance, better LOD and on and on.

So the fact of the matter is "for me" BF3 could have been better, It could have been a lot better. Like we we're reminded above BF2 had map mouse interface clicking, UAVs, Squad voice com and so much more.

Since we are intelligent people...all of us, nobody can deny the simple fact the game could have been better than it is on PC. I don't know how satisfied people with consoles are with the game but I'll bet they are mostly happy because that's just about the best those machines can do.

You buy a VCR it plays VHS tapes.=Console-Expected.
You buy a blu-ray player and it plays only DVDs because that's all that's being made=PC-Not expected.

I think most PC people could care less about consoles and which is better because the truth is known. When people are told they are going to get a PC quality product and then find out it could have been better and it really wasn't quite how it was advertised then there is reason to feel lied to or rather more deceived then lied to.

Bottom line to me.
Is it a good console game: Great on of the best, takes full advantage of what the hardware offerers.
Is it a good PC game: Yes! However clearly it could have been pushed and developed further...clearly.
Would it run slower if pushed to PC limits, yes.
Would idiots complain that their system is to slow to run it and say it's unoptimized i.e. (FarCry, Crysis, GTA4...) Yes some, not me. I just lower settings until I can get a new card or system.
Might it have taken longer to push it to PC limits, probably...maybe another year.
Would people have been pissed if it was delayed, some. Not me.
Are PC gamers sick of this attitude of "you'll take what you get and like it," I think so. I know I am.

So I don't see any reason for any console person to even be in here brining up consoles. Consoles seem great and are fully utilized most of the time. PC don't seem to be anymore and people just want to talk about it without being called names and comparing one thing to another. Lets try to stay in reality and deal with facts.

Fact is my old ass PC runs this game at 1600x1200 all ultra setting with the exception of terrain detail at Med (DX10) No AA, HBAO @ 30fps solid. That should not be. I should need a 580GTX to run setting like that in a new game like this...if it had actually been pushed. Even DX10 could have been pushed further. I see some of the FPS DX11 is getting with new systems and it just seems too fast and more could have been done.
Rant/It's all being standardized though...for LCDs and game devs. Soon there will be no advantage to one or the other if you really think about it...then all of this will be over./rant
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
Old 11-02-11, 05:09 PM   #66
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I think people are more bothered by how upset you appear to be because a company, which tried to serve the PC community the best it could, told a small lie because of time constraints. I mean they're a business at the end of the day. They don't give a **** if they lie, they have to meet deadlines.

It's just strange because you would think you'd be ecstatic that a company had PC gamers in mind first and foremost. In fact, so ecstatic, that any "lies" resulting from mere business decisions that have little to no impact on the game, would be inconsequential...
Well, you clearly don't give a sh*t how the game gets to you, so long as they don't kill your pets or hurt your family, lies mean nothing, obviously.

I expect any business to be straight with me or they get no business from me. DICE said this after releasing the game to get more sales because I'm sure it would have hurt PC sales if they said it before. Lying to customers is clearly the norm then.
Old 11-02-11, 05:10 PM   #67
Logical

I can't believe how consolised the NVnews Pc section has become...please lets quit the console comparisons etc it is getting boring and ruining what used to be my fave PC gaming forum...

If anyone wants to talk about consoles there is a dedicated section for it. If comparisons have to be made then at least make them there.

Old 11-02-11, 05:16 PM   #68
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
I can't believe how consolised the NVnews Pc section has become...please lets quit the console comparisons etc it is getting boring and ruining what used to be my fave PC gaming forum...

If anyone wants to talk about consoles there is a dedicated section for it. If comparisons have to be made then at least make them there.

Yes, apparently us PC gamers do more tweaking and moaning than playing games.

Old 11-02-11, 05:18 PM   #69
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

In before the thread is closed . . .
Old 11-02-11, 05:20 PM   #70
Logical

Did anyone see the IGN MW3 stream last night ? They got onto a debatable topic where Bowling turned around and said "PC is the leading platform for piracy"...giggles and then says "that why they always get the ****ty end of the stick"...

That sort of talk makes me want to quit gaming altogether, i might buy a dog and take it for walks every night instead of gaming as if thats the attitude of devs then PC gaming is ****ing doomed.
Old 11-02-11, 05:26 PM   #71
Logical

BF3 Dev..."We started the development on PC, just to quiet the loud angry PC gamers then switched to console mid way".

How do they get away with saying **** like that ? Do they want us to buy there games or not ?
Old 11-02-11, 05:37 PM   #72
Yaboze

Actually, this site has become less consolized and more PC oriented. There used to be a lot more console game talk and excitement over releases. Take a look at the console board, it's kinda dead.

Rage was the final nail for some. Very consolized and they admitted it. No way to set graphics options until we complained and id released a patch. There was talk of a high texture patch and that's not coming now. Then, BF3, a game were were told that the PC was the lead on, was switched to consoles. It just adds insult to injury.

We all know the PC can do more and is more powerful, but that power doesn't show itself in that magnitude over 6 year old consoles.

EDIT: Typo
Closed Thread