Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-11, 01:27 AM   #1
farrell

Default GTX560 with nVidia binary drivers: Poor image, looks like analog VGA when using DVI

Hello,

I just bought an EVGA GTX560 1GB GDDR5 (#01G-P3-1460-KR) and am having poor image quality. The image on screen looks like I'm using an analog (VGA) cable despite using a DVI cable. The image is also cropped, showing only the center portion. My monitor and cable work fine with my onboard ATI graphics card so I know they aren't the problem.

To make the image usable I have to run nvidia-settings and set overscan compensation to 136. This obviously blurs the image and the slight ghosting (like a long analog cable) remains.

I am running the x86_64-280.13 driver but have tried two other versions (275 and 285 I think.)
Ubuntu 10.10 64bit
AMD Phoenix II X4 965, 8GB RAM
1920x1200 LCD using a DVI cable

nvidia-settings shows the resolution as 1920x1200 @ 59.95Hz. Flat panel information section shows: chip location: internal - connection link: dual - signal: TMDS. I have tried checking and unchecking the Force Full GPU Scaling option with no noticeable affect.

Other than the poor image quality the card seems to work fine. I don't have any of the newer games but UT2004 runs great on it and 1080p movies play well in mplayer using VDPAU.

Any ideas?

-Farrell
farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 09:55 PM   #2
farrell

Default Re: GTX560 with nVidia binary drivers: Poor image, looks like analog VGA when using D

I also tried updating my BIOS to the latest stable version. No change. Image still looks like it's coming through a 100 foot long VGA cable. Tested monitor and DVI cable with another computer and they work perfectly.

-Farrell
Old 11-02-11, 10:24 PM   #3
Desti

Default Re: GTX560 with nVidia binary drivers: Poor image, looks like analog VGA when using D

Have you tried to add the resolution to your xorg.conf?
Desti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 01:11 AM   #4
farrell

Yes. That did not change anything.

-Farrell