Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-06-11, 07:13 PM   #1
Logical

Default Which gaming headset ?

Ok so my microphone on my current headset (creative fatalitys) decided to stop working today and im in the market for a new headset.

Now firstly i aint a lover of gimmicky usb surround headsets, they offer only virtual surround that a creative x-fi cms3d does a lot better on a stereo headset, so if i went down the path of getting a surround headset it would be 1 of 2....

Firstly the Roccat Kave 5.1 headset which is priced at 65. I've read mixed reviews on this headset most saying they are awesome in what they do but unfortunately the quality just isnt quite there especially for music although the surround in gaming and movies is better than any 5.1 gimmick virtual surround headset. Im not too keen on the design either as they do weigh quite a bit at over 600grams and the cans are huge. I reckon this would make long gaming sessions quite uncomfortable.

http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gamin...CCAT-Kave-5-1/

Secondly is a razer product thats due for release next month (Razer Tiamat 7.1). As with the Roccats 5.1 Kaves and 8 drivers the Tiamat is a true 7.1 surround headset with a total of 10 drivers. There isnt any reviews of this product yet as it is unreleased. I would say the specs are quite mediocre but what isnt is the price coming in at approx 160. These are the worlds first true 7.1 headset and they do look astonishing but are they worth the price and wait ?

http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en/features

And lastly is a good old set of stereo headset (Corsair vengance 1300). These are also pretty newly released and feature a 50mm Driver for thundering bass. As with the other 2 headsets mentioned again the specs aren't really audiophile quality but for a stereo gaming headset are quite good. I also love the design of this headset and the looks with the wide thick head band and full over ear cans. Reviews of this product have been good so far with each review mentioning good quality sound and thumping unparalleled bass due to the 50mm driver. This set obviously costs a little less than than the Roccat Kaves and more than half the price of the Razer product at 60.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-130...g-headset.html

So, should i take the surround headset route...is the difference really that much as it is with surround speakers compared to stereo speakers. And if i do go this route which should i go for ? Or do i take a good old trusty pair of stereo headset that do look quite good and apparently sound brilliant for a stereo headset.

Help me decide please.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 09:02 PM   #2
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Which gaming headset ?

I haven't used a pair that is better for the $$ than the creative fatalities
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 10:00 PM   #3
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I haven't used a pair that is better for the $$ than the creative fatalities
TBH i aint too happy with the build quality of the past 2 ive had. Both have had the microphones fail on them at the 3.5mm jack end. 2 sets in 18 months, time for a different brand now me thinks. Can't complain about the sound quality for the price i paid for them though...
Old 11-07-11, 07:03 AM   #4
scout2of3
"Live Long And Prosper"

I am currently using these (Ear Force HPA2) 5.1 headset from Turtle Beach. I have been using them for a few years, off and on as I only use them when my wife is sleeping. But I do like the fact that you can remove the mic or even swing it out of the way. So far they have held up and still seem to fit comfortably for the most part, I wear glasses so the ear cans seem to press against my ear piece of my glasses and that tends to start to hurt after a few hours of gaming.
CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.5 w/NH-D14 HSF
Graphics: EVGA GTX 570 SC HD
Main HDD: WD 750GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance
PSU: Corsair CX600 Watt
scout2of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 07:22 AM   #5
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I love my Beyerdynamic DT770s. They're 250ohms so I need an amp, but the headset version (MX300) is 32ohms has a mic, huge bass and great surround if you have a decent sound card. Plus they have awesome isolation and comfort as they are pretty much the same frame and cups as the aviation models.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 07:25 PM   #6
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck

Corsair HS1A. Best sound out of all the ones I've had and I can literally wear these all day without any aches or pains. I wear my backup Plantronics Gamecoms for about 30min and my ears get sore. Just bought another set of HS1A for $45 + free shipping from Amazon.
Old 11-07-11, 08:05 PM   #7
|MaguS|

My Plantronics Gamecom are awesome.
Old 11-07-11, 10:44 PM   #8
Bman212121

What are you using for a sound card? I don't see anything listed so I'm guessing just onboard. If you've already paid for a discrete audio card getting a USB headset wouldn't make a lot of sense since it will not use the card. If you're just using onboard then it's possible that a USB setup might have some tweaks to enable better sound than a typical onboard setup.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-11, 07:42 AM   #9
Jon

I currently own the Razer Megalodon headset, and I really like it. So when the Tiamat comes out (hopefully soon) I'm going to be ebaying the Megalodon and buying the Tiamat. TBH, I know this could have happened with any brand, but having had 2 Roccat mice break on me I didn't even consider getting their headset.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 05:36 PM   #10
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

IMHO, best for headphones is a X-Fi based card (CMSS > Dolby Headphone for games), an amp if the card doesn't have one built in and a decent set of bass heavy cans with a clip on mic. Gaming headsets are ok, but are often way overpriced for the sound you are getting. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 08:31 PM   #11
Logical

I went with the Corsair 1300's and also treated myself to a new Asus xonar D2. Playing games in Dolby headphone sounds excellent a do movies and music. Quite made up with them tbh.
Old 11-25-11, 06:41 PM   #12
K007

need to get a new headphone as well, i am a bit worried about these 7.1/5.1/etc...never really sound great for gaming, especially when you want to hear footsteps/etc...plus they are also very heavy...

i have a razer carcharias which i got 2010-01, and last week the cable started to wear out so one side is acting up unless i wrap the cable up a bit..even then its a bit crap when the audio suddenly runs out lol...considering it lasted this long i guess its not bad..

i might go for the razer orca..it has no mic (already have a good clip mic), but it is basically a razer carcharias without the mic with some minor comfort improvements...

i have a sonar essence stx...so i am kinda..missing out on those other hq headphones...

actually noticed the tiamat razer comes 2.2 and 7.1...i think i will get that 2.2 then...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote