Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-11, 04:23 AM   #1
mikkelkromann

Default WoW: Occasional no/black rendering of sky, water, ground and UI with GTX560

Hi,

I have occasional problems playing World of Warcraft (4.x.x) using Wine 1.2.2 under Ubuntu 11.04 (kernel 2.6.38-11). The problem occurs with at least nvidia drivers 285.05.09, 285.03, 280.13, as well as the standard ubuntu Nvidia driver 270-something ... I have not tested different versions of Wine, though, nor have I tested various regedit fixes.

Especially under high load (many NPCs and players, e.g. big cities), sky, water, and ground will be rendered with black only. User Interface, NPCs other players, and most other objects are not rendered at all. I can rather easily recover from this by pointing my player view directly towards the sky. Sometimes this will fix the problem and I can move on, other times, directing the player view back, the problem will re-emerge. Sometimes it will go away just by waiting a bit, sometimes I will have to adjust most of my settings to "Low".

In general I can play with reasonable fps with all settings on "Ultra", except for "Shadow Quality" and "Liquid Detail". Increasing these above "Low" tends to make the problem very frequent.

My system is reasonably capable: AMD Phenom II X4 965 with 4Gb Ram. RAM usage is below 50 % CPU usage is below 30 % for at least two cores at almost all times, also when the rendering problem occurs. CPU and GPU temperature is in the 50-65 Celcius interval. I have exactly the same problem with my wife's PC (also GTX560 and 4Gb ram, but with even better intel i5 processor and another motherboard). I have not found any signs of this problem in the system logs, and the system itself is otherwise very stable.

I have attached the nvidia-bug-report. I will be happy to provide further information, perform experiments and tests, but I will really appreciate some guidance. Note that the bug report shows that I forgot to uninstall the Ubuntu provided Nvidia driver - however, the perfectly clean install on my wife's pc has exactly the same problem (as did my own original install), so I doubt that this is the cause of the problems.

I'm not insanely sharp with my linux system management capabilities, but a good link or instructions will make me go a long way.

Thank you for your time, advice and help :-)

Mikkel
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (71.5 KB, 47 views)
mikkelkromann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 06:39 AM   #2
mikkelkromann

Default Re: WoW: Occasional no/black rendering of sky, water, ground and UI with GTX560

Uhh, now it gets interesting. Upgraded to Wine 1.3.15-0ubuntu5. This provokes WoW to crash when rendering otherwise would just have gone to black water/surface/sky. It produces the following Wine debugging output when Wow.exe is run from terminal:

err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory
err:d3d9:device_parent_CreateSurface (0x13a62c) CreateSurface failed, returning 0x8876017c
fixme:d3d_texture:texture_init Failed to create surface 0x12909970, hr 0x8876017c
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000080 at address 0x7cc8b041 (thread 006f), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000080 in 32-bit code (0x7cc8b041).

... plus a bunch more - see the attached file

Changing from Direct3D to OpenGL seems to make the problem (both crashes and no/black rendering) go completely away ...

Maybe this is a Wine D3D issue, rather than a Nvidia driver issue?
Too bad I wont have nice liquid details ...
Old 10-30-11, 07:02 AM   #3
darklegion

Default Re: WoW: Occasional no/black rendering of sky, water, ground and UI with GTX560

Wine might be detecting your video card's memory size incorrectly. Try setting it manually with regedit in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/VideoMemorySize (instructions are on wine site)
darklegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 03:07 AM   #4
mikkelkromann

Default SOLVED - WoW: Occasional no/black rendering of sky, water, ground and UI with GTX560

Thank you so much, darklegion.

That completely solved the problem, both with Wine 1.2.2 and 1.3.15. I guess its a Wine issue then.
I've noted that -d3d9 and -d3d11 have app. 30 % lower fps than -opengl with my box and spec, so I will stick to OpenGL and wait for Wine's Direrct3D to mature a bit ...

I know OpenGL is an older spec and that WoW copes better with Direct3D. But is some sort of improved liquid detail totally out of the question with OpenGL?
Old 11-03-11, 12:16 AM   #5
darklegion

No problem There was actually a patch submitted a few days ago to identify your card , so it should go into git soon, if it hasn't already: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.....patches/99876

As for the d3d performance issue, try setting UseGLSL = disabled in HKCU > wine > direct3d. It tends to give me a 10% or so performance boost with most games. You can also try profiling wined3d which gave me an additional 5% boost, but it's a fair bit of work to get running. Lastly, d3d performance with wine is dictated mainly by the speed of your cpu, provided you have a decent GPU. So if you could overclock it you'll see performance scale up.
darklegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 06:02 AM   #6
n.byron.griffin

Hello everyone,

I'm having the same problem with the WoW Launcher. Having read all of the below information, I think I now understand where the problem is but I'm very new to Linux so the processes are going to take a little longer to complete. I'm off to work so I'll have to wait till I get home to fix it but if someone sees this, would you please post a link to a solid Linux how to thats written for new converts? I would very much appreciate it as trying to learn Linux is taking longer than I expected and I know it's simply that I'm missing something easy. DOS 4-6.2 was pretty simple so I should be able to get this, right?

Thanks for all your help.

Byron
n.byron.griffin is offline   Reply With Quote