Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-11, 10:21 PM   #13
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

On the eve of Skyrim too.
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 10:46 PM   #14
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah where is the outrage like what was directed at Sony? This is far worse then Sony's since almost every account compromised on the Steam hack had a CC tied to it, that was not the case with the PSN Hack.
Eh, who knows. Most people, if not all, I know don't keep CC on file.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 10:52 PM   #15
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah where is the outrage like what was directed at Sony? This is far worse then Sony's since almost every account compromised on the Steam hack had a CC tied to it, that was not the case with the PSN Hack.
Sony waited weeks to tell people about, and then other weeks to tell people the scope of it, and still more weeks to apologise for it.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 11:08 PM   #16
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Sony waited weeks to tell people about, and then other weeks to tell people the scope of it, and still more weeks to apologise for it.
And for the record Sony took exactly 6 days to tell people...the same time it took Valve. This happened months after the Sony incident and as many as THREE times as many credit cards could have been compromised as well as entire gaming libraries.

Your post is exactly what I was expecting when I made my last post. The fact that this situation is possibly WORSE than the PSN situation and you could still defend Valve while at the same time attack Sony shows just how ridiculous your anti-Sony hate train is.

Anyone who attacked Sony and doesn't do the same here is either a complete moron or a Valve fanboy.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 11:16 PM   #17
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
And for the record Sony took exactly 6 days to tell people...the same time it took Valve. This happened months after the Sony incident and as many as THREE times as many credit cards could have been compromised as well as entire gaming libraries.

Your post is exactly what I was expecting when I made my last post. The fact that this situation is possibly WORSE than the PSN situation and you could still defend Valve while at the same time attack Sony shows just how ridiculous your anti-Sony hate train is.

Anyone who attacked Sony and doesn't do the same here is either a complete moron or a Valve fanboy.
So the 6th to the 10th = 6 days? Wish I was a math wiz like you... What about the rest? They didn't let on the scope of the breach for over 2 weeks.

Furthermore, all steams passwords were hashed and salted, and CCs encrypted, as opposed to sonys moron level plain text file security. It will take months, maybe years just to brute force a handful of CCs. Sonys breach was bad because of their lack of security.

Edit: I'm not trying to defend Steam, getting hacked like this is a major fail. Its just not as bad as Sonys hack, because their security was in order.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 11:42 PM   #18
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
So the 6th to the 10th = 6 days? Wish I was a math wiz like you... What about the rest? They didn't let on the scope of the breach for over 2 weeks.

Furthermore, all steams passwords were hashed and salted, and CCs encrypted, as opposed to sonys moron level plain text file security. It will take months, maybe years just to brute force a handful of CCs. Sonys breach was bad because of their lack of security.
Alright, so 4 1/2 is acceptable to you but 6 is just way out of line?..lol.

And for the scope of what happens with this mess you have no freaking clue. All Valve has done so far is made a post telling people about it and they are still investigating which is what Sony had to do and it took time. Did Valve magically tell you the extent of the breach today?...no, they are investigating and I assure you they won't know the extent for a while.

As far as what was taken you are delusional. The only difference is the PW's, Sonys CC's were all encrypted as well but you had no problem giving them a hard time about that at the time, suddenly encryption matters to you? Never mind the fact that if a hacker gets your information you could lose your entire PC gaming catalog, where on the PSN that would have been impossible.

12 million encrypted CC's were taken from an old PSN database and you start spewing hate, but 33 million are taken from the current Steam database and you are defending it? The vast majority of those 12 million cards from Sony were old and out of date, just about every card on Steam is current!!

Sony lacked security? WTF do you call what just happened to Steam? Six months AFTER what happened to Sony and a dozen other companies!

It's seriously laughable how ridiculous your arguments are in the face of how you acted when this happened to Sony. Look up hypocritical in the dictionary, it probably has your picture next to it.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 11:47 PM   #19
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Did Valve magically tell you the extent of the breach today?...no, they are investigating and I assure you they won't know the extent for a while...

...12 million encrypted CC's were taken from an old PSN database and you start spewing hate, but 33 million are taken from the current Steam database and you are defending it? The vast majority of those 12 million cards from Sony were old and out of date, just about every card on Steam is current!!
Which is it? Either you know the extent to know those numbers, or you are making crap up, can't have both... Either way, you are wrong. Sorry Bah!, all those times you went down on Sony were for nothing.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 12:09 AM   #20
MUYA
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,794
Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

I Did the perpetrators actually take CC information or was it just a breach?
__________________
I5-2500k@4.7GHz - MSI Z77A-GD65 - 4GB X2 A-DATA DDR3 1600 - Corsair H100 - Antec Quatro 850W
Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 680 OC - Dell 24" IPS
Intel 320 300 GB SSD - 1 TB Hitachi HDD - 2x 250 GB WD HDD
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-11, 12:20 AM   #21
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
I Did the perpetrators actually take CC information or was it just a breach?
"We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating."

Thats the best answer for now, so probably not, but maybe.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 10:08 AM   #22
munkus
Cold nose, warm heart
 
munkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,559
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

The CC info was encrypted, so even if they did get it, without the key it's useless.

Of course, I shouldn't underestimate hackers.
munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 10:55 AM   #23
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Unfortunately it's a modern day fact of life now. The blame lands fully with the crackers because no system is ever 100% safe.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 11:16 AM   #24
Albo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 3,633
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Awe ****.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.