Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-11, 11:44 AM   #25
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Unfortunately it's a modern day fact of life now. The blame lands fully with the crackers because no system is ever 100% safe.
motherf*ckers!

sorry
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 11:51 AM   #26
Sean_W

Default Re: Steam database hacked. Encrypted credit card information and passwords compromise

LOL. In the open source world, hackers are people who hack on code to build software. Crackers are the nasty people.

It's a bit like homophones words with crackers yeah.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 12:04 PM   #27
Spartan 117
Halo PWNz0r

I just changed my password and luckily, I don't have a CC on file as I pretty much buy everything at retail stores. This is sad, why hack one of gamings greatest services? those hackers have no life and should GTFO of the interwebs.
2 PNY XLR8 GTX 670 in SLI
1 PNY XLR8 GTX 560 Ti for PhysX
Crucial M4 256GB SSD - OS/games
WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD - Storage
Team Executor XBOX 360 HDD Adapter for JTAG 360 HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
LG Blu-Ray burner
Samsung DVD-RW burner
Cougar GX V.2 1050W PSU
Cougar Evolution case
40" Sony Bravia KDL40V5100 @ 1080P
Spartan 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 03:28 PM   #28
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Awe ****.
I'm pretty sure my account was hacked. The password isn't working. I did recover password, and I got the email, however, the recovery question was in french? This **** always happens to me. I hope they don't have my Debit on file, (When I tried to buy something on my Mac recently, it didn't have it) so I'm pretty sure its only tied to this computer. And steam told me that I had never logged into this PC before. I don't even use steam..

lolz.. whoops. I had a different password that slipped out of my mind. Tried that, and it worked. However.. the recovery question was in french.. that's really strange. I guess I'll need to update it.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 06:40 PM   #29
Yaboze

I haven't loaded up Steam in about a week. It would have been nice to get an email regarding this, I just learned about this today.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 08:35 PM   #30
Ninja Prime

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my account was hacked. The password isn't working. I did recover password, and I got the email, however, the recovery question was in french? This **** always happens to me. I hope they don't have my Debit on file, (When I tried to buy something on my Mac recently, it didn't have it) so I'm pretty sure its only tied to this computer. And steam told me that I had never logged into this PC before. I don't even use steam..

lolz.. whoops. I had a different password that slipped out of my mind. Tried that, and it worked. However.. the recovery question was in french.. that's really strange. I guess I'll need to update it.
I wouldn't worry too much, typical encryption nowadays would take years to decrypt your CC #, to the point that its not worth it.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 11:56 PM   #31
bacon12

Then why can't game devs have games that can't be pirated? Serious question. If something as simple as your cc info can be encrypted why can't games employ the same tech to prevent crackers from releasing games?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 12:52 PM   #32
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I wouldn't worry too much, typical encryption nowadays would take years to decrypt your CC #, to the point that its not worth it.
This. No need to completely freak out, although the situation is disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Then why can't game devs have games that can't be pirated? Serious question. If something as simple as your cc info can be encrypted why can't games employ the same tech to prevent crackers from releasing games?
They can employ encryption in game files, but anything worthwhile would incur serious overhead in decrypting when you use the game. And hardware based encryption would require everyone to get new computer or new hardware just to play games. That wouldn't go well...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-11, 12:54 PM   #33
ViN86

Quote:

I was about to say, don't you use Steam Guard? Every time I login from a browser or a new machine, I have to verify with my email account.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 01:12 PM   #34
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

credit card and passwords compromised? where the fck did you learn English? Everything was encrypted... the credit card info is so highly encrypted that law enforcement wouldn't have the resource to decrypt it let alone black market dealers.

Come back when you lose the modern media scare tactics.
Old 11-12-11, 01:16 PM   #35
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Steam's pre-load appears to be either a low level encryption for the sake of speed, or they use the same seeds and such cause while in the past hackers couldn't decode the encrypted preloads, now they can. So at some point they were able to match past encode vs decode copies to come up with the seed and passcode values used.
Old 11-14-11, 12:34 PM   #36
enoteware
Just Basically Awesome

Just another reason to not use a Checking Card/Debit Card anywhere. Stuff like this doesn't bother me because if someone else charges up my AMEX it's AMEX's problem, not mine .

TV/Media Center - Panasonic TCP-54G25 Plasma, Pioneer 1021-K Receiver. Klipsch speakers that are too loud for my place. Xbox 360 - PS3 - Apple TV

Facebook
enoteware is offline   Reply With Quote