Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-11, 12:31 PM   #1
Tomeor

Question Best choice for HTPC G210 or GT520 ?

Hello all,

I am planning to build a FrreBSD media center, i need some help to validate the hardware platform.

I already chose the mainboard ASUS E45M1-M PRO, it's low power, fanless and XBMC looks to run smoothly under E-450.

Now i am really hesitating between these two fanless NVIDIA graphic cards :
* ASUS ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) 1 GB -> Nvidia GT520 chipset
* ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/512MD3(LP) -> Nvidia G210 chipset

Of course the 520 one looks far better from a performance point of view but i am a little bit afraid of its support under FreeBSD (it's is a recent board).

So could you tell me if G210 / GT520 runs well under FreeBSD ?
Is there some known bugs or limitations with Nvidia FreeBSD x64 drivers ?

I plan to use HDMI for video and audio output to my TV system. I obviously want hardware acceleration for video/audio decoding .... is it well supported ?

Thank by advance for your help !
Best regards
Tom
Tomeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 03:38 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Best choice for HTPC G210 or GT520 ?

The current non-legacy FreeBSD drivers aren't as well exercised as the Linux ones are (the installed user base is much smaller, etc.), but I'd still expect them to perform about the same. The feature set is very similar, with the main shortcomings (again, relative to Linux) being in the area of power management and interaction with the ACPI subsystem. On many laptop/notebook systems, the FreeBSD drivers are likely to fail where the Linux ones wouldn't. But on most desktop systems, these limitations shouldn't present a problem.

I don't know about audi-over-HDMI on FreeBSD, but HDMI video should work fine, and VDPAU should provide accelerated video decoding support (check the README for a given GPU's VDPAU feature set). The emphasis is on should, however, for the reasons I gave above.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 05:31 AM   #3
oambc

Default Re: Best choice for HTPC G210 or GT520 ?

This might be a little too late, but will post anyway. I just built a system with an atom 330... It works great for movies, but if you plan to run a web browser with flash then you may have some problems. I am planning to replace with a faster system and will most likely go with either a GT430 or GT440.
oambc is offline   Reply With Quote