Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Opinions on Skyrim graphics (only vote if you've actually played the game)
Impressed 25 34.72%
Pretty much as expected 30 41.67%
Unimpressed 17 23.61%
No Opinion 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-11, 02:31 PM   #97
Sean_W

Default Re: Skyrim graphics

God damn it. I've been ripped off then.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-11, 08:22 AM   #98
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
The version that sean_w mistakenly was sent.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

It's even got the SkiFree Snowman in it! LOL
Old 11-18-11, 08:39 AM   #99
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I’m unimpressed with Skyrim graphics and I notice a lot of stupid issues that bothered me in Oblivion. But then again a lot of issues have been addresses. So far I’m enjoying the game, do wish they would have scrapped the gamebryo engine and start using something better.
Oblivion with its many issues made the game really boring and stupid longer you played, really wasn’t impressed with Oblivion as RPG game, I hope in long run Skyrim will leave better impression on me.
Old 11-18-11, 04:37 PM   #100
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Yeah these are so bad

Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-11, 04:53 PM   #101
Sean_W

Well taking screenshots like that doesn't mean anything if you actually read what part of the graphics are sub-par.

The tweaks to make the game look better but the texture quality in some of the crypts and caves are just bad quality. Arcania has much better texture quality plus POM and much better shadow quality. Arcania Gothic 4 was done with the PC in mind and it shows unlike Bethesda who show their undying love the 360, and it shows.

Anyway, texture mods will solve it.
Old 11-18-11, 05:51 PM   #102
Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well taking screenshots like that doesn't mean anything if you actually read what part of the graphics are sub-par.

The tweaks to make the game look better but the texture quality in some of the crypts and caves are just bad quality. Arcania has much better texture quality plus POM and much better shadow quality. Arcania Gothic 4 was done with the PC in mind and it shows unlike Bethesda who show their undying love the 360, and it shows.

Anyway, texture mods will solve it.
Well Gotic 4, like everyone in the series, is a terrible game. Also the graphics is skyrim blow arcania out of the water. It takes 30 seconds in the ini to make the shadows look great.
Old 11-18-11, 06:01 PM   #103
Sean_W

I'm taking about texture quality and shadow quality in Arcania, it also it has dynamic lights on every object with casting shadows in high quality. I though it was good, just not an in depth RPG as people would have liked and at least the inventory UI doesn't suck like in Skyrim.

Skyrim is a superior game but not in texture, shadow and model quality and Arcania uses Parallax Occlusion Mapping more than any game out there.
Old 11-18-11, 07:09 PM   #104
K007

donno what people crying about...graphics look good, yes it can be better but its not bad either...way better than RAGE...miles miles ahead of rage...

some of the areas have some amazing crisp clean textures...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-11, 07:31 PM   #105
dikinher
Grab em!

I love this game. There is nothing wrong with the graphics at all. They look superb and nearly maxes my GTX295 out (with SSAO enabled). The only feature I hate about this game is the items/weapons etc. menu.
Old 11-18-11, 08:03 PM   #106
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Well Gotic 4, like everyone in the series, is a terrible game. Also the graphics is skyrim blow arcania out of the water. It takes 30 seconds in the ini to make the shadows look great.
Ok, lets not get carried away here. I've still yet to finish Arcania, but the first two Gothic games were some of the best rpgs ever made.

And nothing makes the shadows look great. You can either have nice looking shadows up close that disappear 5 feet in front of you or you have blocky shadows up close but for more distance. Bethesda absolutely dropped the ball when it comes to shadows.

Having said that, I don't think they alone make the game look horrible. Overall I think the game looks pretty damn nice.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-11, 08:25 PM   #107
Sean_W

Bethesda didn't drop the ball, they just left the Xbox360 settings in the default config for the PC. If you look at the config, just like their other games, the settings have no PC options at all. Bringing the games graphics out of 2006 requires some heavy tweaking and modding.

Edit: Primary and secondary shadow size set to 4096 seems to do the trick.
Old 11-18-11, 10:08 PM   #108
Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Ok, lets not get carried away here. I've still yet to finish Arcania, but the first two Gothic games were some of the best rpgs ever made.

And nothing makes the shadows look great. You can either have nice looking shadows up close that disappear 5 feet in front of you or you have blocky shadows up close but for more distance. Bethesda absolutely dropped the ball when it comes to shadows.

Having said that, I don't think they alone make the game look horrible. Overall I think the game looks pretty damn nice.
If you got any of the gothics to run for more than 5 minutes w/o crashing the first few months they were out you must be magic.