Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-11, 05:05 PM   #1
crushcardinale

Exclamation Xorg memory leak using NVIDIA drivers

Hello,

There seems to be a memory leak in Xorg when using the official NVIDIA drivers for Linux. The Xorg process randomly starts taking up huge amounts of RAM (up to 700MB in my case) and never releases them, even after closing all open programs. xrestop reports normal memory usage (below 100MB). My card is a 9600GT and I've tested using Ubuntu 11.04 and several versions of the latest drivers (270+).

There are numerous bug reports of this around the web. Because all reporters use NVIDIA cards in different OS/DE combinations (Ubuntu, openSUSE, etc. with Gnome, KDE, etc.), I'm inclined to believe it's a driver problem.

Bug reports:
Is this a known issue? Is anyone interested in some logs? Should I try another specific driver version?

Thank you in advance.
crushcardinale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 05:37 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Xorg memory leak using NVIDIA drivers

Please see the documentation for the IndirectMemoryAccess X driver configuration option in the README (see e.g. http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ctMemoryAccess).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 06:28 PM   #3
crushcardinale

As far as I understand, shouldn't that option result in an increase only in virtual memory? Right now I'm seeing 654MB memory usage for Xorg: 841MB virtual memory and 654MB resident memory, as reported by htop.
crushcardinale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 10:17 AM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

No, the feature controlled by the option is enabled by default. You can use the option to disable the feature, likely incurring a performance penalty.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 10:18 AM   #5
nrohluap

I've recently experienced similar issues with Ubuntu and a Quadro FX570 notebook chip.

I've used Ubuntu on this laptop for over three years without seeing this until recently, with largely the same workload & program set. Under 11.04, I would see memory use by Xorg go as high as 3.9 GB resident memory (of 8 GB on the machine) after a week or so. Logging out and back in would clear the use. Xrestop never reports anything above about 600 MB in use, and usually much less. I was hoping that upgrading to 11.10 might help, but I'm seeing the same issue.

I tried setting the IndirectMemoryAccess to false yesterday and restarted. After logging in to the Gnome classic desktop (no Compiz) & starting up my ususal programs (Thunderbird, Firefox, Skype & VBox), Xorg was reported by top as using 301 MB. It stayed around that level for a few hours, then slowly climbed to 556 mb by the time I quit for the day.

This morning, top reports 1.2 GB resident memory used by Xorg. Computer was just idle all night - no screen savers enabled. xrestop showed Firefox using 600 mb for pixmaps, and a grand total of about 640 mb used. I quit Firefox, and xres top reports a total in use of 78 mb. Top now reports 1.3 GB used. I have not found a way to clear that ever-increasing memory use without logging out & back in again.

I'm currently running driver version 280.13 from the Ubuntu repositories.
nrohluap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 11:10 AM   #6
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

What happens if you VT-switch out and back?
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 11:04 AM   #7
nrohluap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
What happens if you VT-switch out and back?
Same. No change in top or xrestop results.

I have discovered that a particular graph displayed in Firefox will trigger the rising memory use. A Zentyal server "dashboard" page contains bandwidth charts (small png that are updated via javascript - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zentyal.dashboard.png) that updates every few seconds. If I leave that page open in a browser tab, even if it's not the active tab, memory use by XOrg will slowly rise and not be released without a complete logout/login cycle. Xrestop shows Firefox using large amounts of pixmap memory (600MB as opposed to its usual 25-ish), but that memory is not released if the tab, or even Firefox itself, is closed.

So far, staying away from that dashboard page, my XOrg memory use remains at about 200-230 MB, and fluctuates both up and down.

Not sure if this makes it a Firefox / xulrunner bug, or a bug in the driver that is being surfaced by the browser page.
nrohluap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-11, 12:41 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

It's pretty likely to be a bug in Firefox. It's a little tricky, but could you try running Firefox with a TCP connection and tracing it with Wireshark? You might need to run your X server without the "-nolisten tcp" option and export DISPLAY=localhost:0 in the terminal you open Firefox from to get that to work.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote