Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-18-03, 09:55 AM   #37
Jon

Found this dated today, looks like a new patch is due this weekend... it says they fixed some hardware issues and pauses in game with low memory machines. Mine has 1gb of ram, but I hope these stutters will finally be fixed!!!
----------------------------
The next patch for Need for Speed Underground is almost ready and final testing is in progress even as we speak. When in game, be sure to check for any available updates during the course of the weekend.

Fix UG Mode Completion, players can now change cars in UG mode once completed (allowing cars with TJ parts to be changed post completion)
- Fix many cheats/trainers
- Improved cheat detection functionality
- Fixes to rep points lost using NOS In bad latency situations
- Fixed some hardware issues
- Scenery Deinstancing - will help increase framerate
- Issue with black screen instead of movies in min. install if the user removes CD before movie starts playing
- Issue with micropauses on machines with low physical memory
- Issue where sometimes the game hangs if the CD is removed from Cdrom when going in/out of the game/FE.
- PC Registration - Server error after completing the survey.
- Various stability fixes for the game
- Windows Me Autodial on Startup
- Reverse / Distorted Manufacturer Vinyls On Golf And Lancer
- Graphical Corruption Using The Rear View Mirror
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 03:19 AM   #38
Jon

Yeah, you have to set the default camera mode to bumper and an extra option appears for the rear view mirror or something like that. I'll see if I can find the exact instructions for it. I am really looking forward to reinstalling my system with the 53.03 drivers and having EA fix all the problems in a patch. I wonder what to expect next, microcrashes...

Yeah, both my hard drives are the special edition ones. I also have a WD drive which is 7200 but with only 2mb cache. This averages about 10mb/sec slower than the special editions. Its still fast enough for video capture/editing though... although I do mean to upgrade it when I have the money.

HD Tach can be found at:

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public...request=HdTach
Old 12-19-03, 08:49 AM   #39
Voudoun

I was playing (the demo) on the 44.03 whql with a ti4600 and everything was fine. I thought I'd give the 52.16 whqls a try, partly because anti-aliasing was horrible beyond words in Deus Ex. I got the stuttering issue too. After a brief bad experience with the 40.72 whqls I've gone right back to the 30.82 whqls and everything's fine again.

Voudoun
Voudoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 04:10 PM   #40
Jon

Thanks for the input. That answers a question for me, I thought it was specific to 5900/9800 cards and was tempted to put my 4600 back in. I guess EA have to do something about it if it effects such a wide range of hardware.
Old 12-19-03, 04:19 PM   #41
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

I'm also getting a small stutter the first lap of some races. But the stutter is so small that it doesn't affect gameplay much at all. The stutter on my system is like a millisecond long. I'm using the 53.03 forcewares. I think the game is trying to access some data off the hd during the first lap. Strange since I have 1 gig of ram and it shouldn't need to.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-03, 09:07 AM   #42
Voudoun

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
Thanks for the input. That answers a question for me, I thought it was specific to 5900/9800 cards and was tempted to put my 4600 back in. I guess EA have to do something about it if it effects such a wide range of hardware.
Glad I saved you some work. It looks like a problem that's crept in with the 50 series drivers doesn't it? If you're interested I've expanded upon my recent experiences with these drivers here.

Voudoun
Voudoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 04:02 PM   #43
Jon

Quote:
I also have a gig of ram and I believe Jon does also.
Yep, I have one gig of ram... I was tempted to remove half and see what happens but I had hoped that EA would release the patch this weekend.

*stops holding breath*

Quote:
I get 25% or so with HDTach as well. Doesn't that seem a little high?
Assuming that NFS pushes modern computers to their limits and even the slighest background process puts a strain on it. I believe it safe to say that losing 25% of the processing power would impact on the game.

With HDTach, my cpu % varied from as low as 16% to as high as 25%. I know that SATA drives have much lower cpu usage, but as far as I know, this is normal for IDE drives. I'd be interested to see system specs of anyone not having this problem.

Quote:
If you're interested I've expanded upon my recent experiences with these drivers here
I couldn't agree with you more, it's a sad day when you have a top graphics card and have to use ancient drivers. I do believe the performance is much better in the 5x.xx series drivers. I notice that NFS zips along much much faster. Thats great, but pointless when the price to pay is 1 sec freezes which cause me to lose control and crash the car.

NVidia must know something about this as the 52.16s had terrible stutter, whereas the 53.03s were not quite as bad. Still using the 44.03s though
Old 12-21-03, 06:54 PM   #44
radical

Send a message via ICQ to radical

Using my rig below and the 52.16's with no cheat codes I had this stutter , which when driving at 150+ feels like 10 secs but was actually approx 1 sec then installed the 53.03's and so far It seems cured but as I make some more progress Ile post again If It happens again
samsung SP1213N 120gig w8mb cache 100/133 ata.
Gainward NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 8xagp(53.03)
(SN_SB0060)soundblaster live 5.1
FSB 166 MHz_1GB DDR @ 333mhz ram
radical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-03, 07:41 AM   #45
john19055

When I installed the new Driver's 3.10 for the R9800pro this fixed my stuttering,done finished underground part some of those races were hard to get past,I thought the Mazda rx7 handled the best.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 01:01 PM   #46
Jon

I am up to about race 70... by the time EA or Nvidia fix the stuttering I'm sure I will have finished the game anyway.

I unlocked level 3 paint, but there are still little padlocks on some of the metallic/all of the pearlescent paints. Any idea how they are used/unlocked?
Old 12-23-03, 11:49 AM   #47
Jon

Aha.. didn't realise you had to pay for level 3 paints as well as unlock them... wow... love the level 3 colours.

Hmmm, the patch... fantastic, it updated the top right corner to say version 1.3... other than that can't see any difference.