Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-17-11, 04:39 AM   #1
lexa2

Send a message via ICQ to lexa2 Send a message via Skype™ to lexa2
Question TwinView causes unwanted panning and wrong Adobe Flash fullscreen behaviour

Well, I know that I'm not the only one experiencing such problems as I had searched the forums thoroughly. Unfortunately I hadn't been able to found any working solutions so I decided to post this message in hopes that somebody might know more about how to fix the problems.

My setup includes two displays: old-good 19" CRT connected by D-SUB as a main device and 46" LCD TV connected by HDMI. Typical workflow is to boot into system with TV turned off and work with only one monitor enabled. In case I want to watch a film I turn on TV, use xrandr of nvidia-settings to activate it and then simply drag mplayer/totem/vlc onto secondary display and happily watch the movie.

To achive the above I had setup the following metamodes in my xorg.conf:
Code:
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT, DFP"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x960 @1280x960 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1280x960 @1280x960 +0+0, DFP: 1920x1080 +1280+0; CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1152x864 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1024x768 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 800x600 +0+0, DFP: NULL"
Now, to the problems. As the documentation states, nVIDIA linux driver computes the bounding box of all of the configured metamodes at startup and uses the computed value as the virtual X display size. Unfortunately it results in undesired panning right after the startup of the X server due to my CRT runs at 1280x960 while resulting virtual size is 3100x1080. To get rid of the panning I have to run "xrandr -s 1280x960" right after the login (of even at GDM/KDM/XDM/whatever-dm-is xinitrc) or use nvidia-settings to switch into some another resolution and then back to the desired 1280x960 on my CRT and NULL on LCD TV. Are there any ways to force the nVIDIA driver to configure displays at X start up the same way it does on mode switch? I.e., I want X server to start up directly into LCD TV set to be Off and CRT to be running at it's "native" 1280x960 resolution without any annoying panning. Is it possible? If not, then this is the major usability problem that should be fixed in nVIDIA drivers.

Second problem is the GDM vs. dual displays. In case I set metamodes like this:
Code:
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT, DFP"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x960 @1280x960 +0+0, DFP: 1920x1080 +1280+0; CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1280x960 @1280x960 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1152x864 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1024x768 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 800x600 +0+0, DFP: NULL"
I've got X server to start up with both CRT and TV on. Despite I had configured driver to place CRT display first at the Xinerama displays order, I end up with GDM using LCD TV as the main display (i.e., all the controls GDM displays are placed on the second display - LCD TV - and not on the first - CRT). In case TV had been turned off at the moment I boot up my workstation (which it normally is) all I've got on screen is the GDM wallpaper and I have to turn the TV on in order to login into system. I'm not sure if this is GDM of nVIDIA bug/feature, but it is really annoying.

Thirdly, problems with Adobe Flash Player. Needless to mention that it is generally unstable under linux, and versions starting from around 10.2.x that claims to support accelerated OpenGL output and vdpau video decoding seem to suffer with lots of problems including "undesired video overlaying on any black or white window placed over the flash clip", "leftovers from the previously played videos displayed as the background and/or produce undesired overlays" and "sometimes I've got huge tearing artifacts when playing 1080p clips". Fortunately the above problems might be workarounded by disabling accelerated video output in right-click flash settings. The most annoying problem is that fullscreen function of the Flash player is a total mess. Depending on the browser and on the site I play videos from I've got all possible variants of the undesired bahaviour. In Chrome the fulscreen Flash is always limited to the resolution of the smaller TwinView display. In Firefox when playing clips from Youtube that have got 1080p version fullscreen resolution would be of that display browser windows was on at the moment the page loaded. Clips that haven't got 1080p versions tend to be displayed fullscreen with a totally wrong zoom. Say, on my setup with 3100x1080 total metamode resolution opening 720p-only Youtube clip on a LCD TV and trying to switch info fullscreen mode leads to a picture that seems to be first proportionally scaled to the 3100x1080 and then proportionally downscaled to the 1920x1080. Thus 1280x720 video is first being scaled to 1920x1080 and then downscaled to ~1189x669. There might another variants of the undesired fullscreen behaviour arise occasionally like video on the smaller device being displayed at the resolution of the bigger device or the fullscreen video being displayed at 3100x1080 resolution not taking into account Xinerama info at all. The bottom line of all above is that I have to switch info single display mode in order to normally watch Flash fullscreen clips. Sad but that is how it is :-(.

Thanks in advance on any advices on topic, hope there's something I had missed when configuring my system and there's some "magic setting" somewhere that would fix some or all of the above problems.

P.S. The videocard installed at this workstation is GeForce 210, but I've got just the same problems on another workstation with dual-monitor TwinView setup equipped with GeForce GTS250, so it looks like the problems are not related to the exact GPU-model.
lexa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 11:54 AM   #2
weltall

Default Re: TwinView causes unwanted panning and wrong Adobe Flash fullscreen behaviour

yeah I've similar problems with youtube using flash. yet it seems other video websites don't give such troubles which is weird. actually I've that issue only with youtube.
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 12:56 PM   #3
lexa2

Default Re: TwinView causes unwanted panning and wrong Adobe Flash fullscreen behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltall View Post
yeah I've similar problems with youtube using flash. yet it seems other video websites don't give such troubles which is weird. actually I've that issue only with youtube.
As I had written already, the Adobe Flash fullscreen videos vs. TwinView Dual Monitor saga seems to be somewhat site dependent. For example, some sites simply fail to switch into fullscreen mode with linux version of Adobe Flash, while other seems to work perfectly on both of connected displays. YMMW. Still, I tend to consider Youtube as one of the most important on-line video hosting thus it is wanted badly for Youtube to function correctly with fullscreen on linux TwinView setups.
Old 07-17-11, 05:39 PM   #4
machete143

Same issue here.
machete143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 12:10 PM   #5
lexa2

Well, maybe it's time to "bump" this thread. Any news on the topic? I'm really surprised that this TwinView vs. Fullscreen flash mess lasts for sooooooo long without developers willing to finally fix it :-(.
Old 09-20-11, 03:41 PM   #6
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexa2 View Post
Well, maybe it's time to "bump" this thread. Any news on the topic? I'm really surprised that this TwinView vs. Fullscreen flash mess lasts for sooooooo long without developers willing to finally fix it :-(.
Complain to Adobe. As I'm quite sure it's their problem.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 04:49 PM   #7
lexa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
Complain to Adobe. As I'm quite sure it's their problem.
Me too but as many of us know it's very hard for an individual to bring the Adobe's attention to the selected bug/topic. They simply ignore most of linux-related bug reports. So the hope is to have nVIDIA stuff members contact folks at Adobe and ask them kindly to "finally fix their sh*tty peice of cr*p software".

Aside from Flash player issues, still there are two other problems I mentioned when started this thread. What's about them? I'm especially curious about how to fix the "undesired panning right after the startup of the X server" problem. Having to mess with *DM startup scripts to fix X/DDX/XRandr related thing isn't a most fancy solution ever.
Old 09-21-11, 02:52 PM   #8
mocharhw

Out of curiosity, did anyone else notice that Adobe PDF Reader has problems with TwinView as well? You can't maximize the window, you have to drag it to a larger size. This is also a known bug reported on their forums for many years.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-11, 04:31 AM   #9
lexa2

Well, we all know that Adobe software is mostly crappy sh*t. It as well stands both for their Windows and Linux products. If you had ever spend hours installing Master Collection CS3/4/5 and/or debugging problems with Photoshop & Co you're know what I'm talking about.

Anyways this thread is not about Adobe products, but rather about bugs/undesired behaviour in nVIDIA linux drivers themselves. For example, unwanted panning under TwinView is nVIDIA's fault, not Adobe.
Old 12-04-11, 08:43 PM   #10
SilasMortimer

In case someone comes here after searching, I did find this:

http://al.robotfuzz.com/content/work...eaded-desktops

Have yet to try it, but it apparently works for some (going by other links I followed).
SilasMortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 05:04 AM   #11
lexa2

Tried that. Pretty clever hack but causes unreliable Chrome behavior. Hadn't tested in FF as the flash player performance I get in it is awful.