Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-26-11, 07:22 PM   #1
Belegdol

Default powermizer goes to full power if you cough in its general direction

Hi,

this might be another gnome-shell related problem. I have a GeForce GTX 485M card, which runs under Fedora 16 x86_64, 290.10 driver and Gnome 3.2. When idle, powermizer will go down to the lowest state, but it is enough to use gnome shell's expose functionality to kick it up all the way to max (on AC). It then takes 30 seconds of idling (according to specs) to get back, which means that the card is running on full power most of the time.
Is this the intended behaviour? On battery, powermizer seems to be limited to the intermediate state and shell is still quick, so max performance just to run the desktop seems like an overkill.
Belegdol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 04:06 AM   #2
luother

Default Re: powermizer goes to full power if you cough in its general direction

Powermizer cannot seperate between a 3D game running ( where you want full speed ) and the Gnome Shell ( as well as KDE effects or compiz ), so this is a general problem which sucks all the way.
This is the reason I don't use desktop effects on my mobile computer.
Old 12-06-11, 12:22 PM   #3
dr_barnowl

If you don't actually need the high performance mode, you can force the slower clock speeds. I don't run anything remotely 3D in Linux, I save my gaming for Windows.

I've pushed mine right down to the lowest speed, I get an operating temperature 12 degrees cooler, and no obvious detriment to boring old desktop performance.

http://tutanhamon.com.ua/technovodst...A-UNIX-driver/

Added to device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerDefault=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x3"

This forces it into lowest performance mode - 100Mhz clock speed (might be different for your card though). There's no obvious performance problem.

Of course, it's a bit different if you do actually want the performance to scale. I think that needs the driver to supply a performance governor API that the kernel can talk to, and that applications can use when they actually need to raise the grunt level.
dr_barnowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 12:41 PM   #4
Belegdol

I could give it a shot. I do all my gaming under Windows anyway, so the only problem might be the reduced vdpau performance.
Belegdol is offline   Reply With Quote