Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-11, 10:00 PM   #13
loafer87gt

Default Re: Inject SMAA - better than FXAA still 0 performance hit.

Can someone please tell me how to use this? With Skyrim, for example, do you just drop the DX10 files in the game executable directory? I did this, disabled the old FXAA from the video settings, and hitting the pause key does nothing and it appears I have no AA running at all in the game now. How do you tell games to use SMAA? Do you have to disable the ingame AA settings?

Thanks in advance for any help! Would like to give this a go.

Intel QX6700 @ 3.2 Ghz
Intel Bad Axe 2 Motherboard
8 GB Corsair Dominator 8500
MSI TwinFroz GTX 470
Soundblaster X-Fi
Silverstone Zeus 850 PSU
Dell FPW2405 LCD
Win 7 64 Bit
loafer87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 11:08 PM   #14
dikinher
Grab em!

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guid...im-tweak-guide

The Skyrim guide by Koroush of tweakguides.com is now available on Geforce.com. It is pretty handy and detailed. Also has FXAA and MSAA comparison. According to Koroush, SMAA is the better choice since it doesn't have the blur visual effect from FXAA usage.
Old 12-06-11, 11:10 PM   #15
dikinher
Grab em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer87gt View Post
Can someone please tell me how to use this? With Skyrim, for example, do you just drop the DX10 files in the game executable directory? I did this, disabled the old FXAA from the video settings, and hitting the pause key does nothing and it appears I have no AA running at all in the game now. How do you tell games to use SMAA? Do you have to disable the ingame AA settings?

Thanks in advance for any help! Would like to give this a go.
It's the same as installing the FXAA injector. Make sure to use the proper files if a game is DX9 or DX10.
Old 12-06-11, 11:30 PM   #16
dikinher
Grab em!

I know this works in Battlefield 3, but is it possible to use SMAA without getting banned from a punkbuster server?
Old 12-07-11, 01:12 AM   #17
loafer87gt

Found out what I was doing wrong. I saw the DX10 folder in Skyrim and assumed the program was DX10. Not the case. Dropped the DX9 SMAA injector in the folder and everything is running fine now. Don't notice much of a difference from the games built in FXAA however.

Intel QX6700 @ 3.2 Ghz
MSI TwinFroz GTX 470
Soundblaster X-Fi
Silverstone Zeus 850 PSU
Dell FPW2405 LCD
Win 7 64 Bit
Old 12-07-11, 08:15 AM   #18
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikinher View Post
I know this works in Battlefield 3, but is it possible to use SMAA without getting banned from a punkbuster server?
how did you get it to work in BF3? when i tried it the BF3.exe kept crashing.
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 01:15 PM   #19
loafer87gt

If you have any third party overlay app such as Afterburner running games will crash when running the SMAA injector. Likewise, Steam's overlay also causes issues.

Intel QX6700 @ 3.2 Ghz
MSI TwinFroz GTX 470
Soundblaster X-Fi
Silverstone Zeus 850 PSU
Dell FPW2405 LCD
Win 7 64 Bit
Old 12-07-11, 02:08 PM   #20
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer87gt View Post
If you have any third party overlay app such as Afterburner running games will crash when running the SMAA injector. Likewise, Steam's overlay also causes issues.
oh ok, it must be evga precision then ... odd because i tried the FXAA injector for BF3 and the bf3.exe didnt crash.

Old 12-08-11, 12:12 PM   #21
Burnt_Ram

SMAA is great! have it working in BF3 and it is even better than running FXAA or MSAA + FXAA together!

I decided to remove it untill i know forsure i won't get PB banned ... Evenbalance and Dice have been asked but, sofar no response on the issue. hopefully we know something definative soon! great tool, and i want to use it damn it ...
Old 12-09-11, 08:45 AM   #22
Bah!

Someone on the EQ2 forums made an SMAA injector using the high settings. Better looking, still no performance impact!

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/p...opic_id=509978
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 09:57 PM   #23
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I haven't followed FXAA and SMAA closely. But I noticed that the links in this thread point to blogs. Are these algorithms based on third party researches and development efforts and not officially supported by nV?

I thought FXAA was nV's answer to AMD's MLAA...
The shader for FXAA is made by a guy at Nvidia, Timothy Lottes. http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/

The shader for SMAA is made by this researcher Jorge Jiminez and some others. http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

Normally, a game dev would have to incorporate these shaders into their games' pipelines themselves, but the "inject" versions are just the normal shaders along with a DirectX helper .dll, which applies the shaders at the end of the pipeline. Neither inject .dll's are made by Nvidia or Jorge tho, both have been made by coders unrelated to the actual shader R&D
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 09:04 PM   #24
Bman212121

Hmm this could be interesting...

@slaWter: Yea sometimes MLAA can be a bit overkill and blur things you don't want it too. It is especially bad about text and making it harder to read. From what I've seen so far FXAA doesn't necessarly blur the textures when you're looking up close to them, but I'm guessing they have softer edges that people aren't as used to so it appears blurry. There was a good write up from [H] talking about it. As far as I know text isn't really affected like it is with MLAA.

I'd guess that SMAA just tweaks some of the algorithms to keep the edges sharper making it perceivably better than FXAA. I'd have to guess that FXAA or MLAA could do the same thing with some more tweaking.

If anyone still has Test Drive Unlimited installed I wouldn't mind giving this a go. I tried that game with MLAA but it still didn't seem to fix the jaggies on the rails and the edges of the road. Would love to find an AA method that actually works on that game.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote