Views:	214
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	4052  
Old 12-23-03, 08:45 AM   #26
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I didn't even hear about Fallout 3 until I heard that Black Isle was getting closed down. Interplay = bastards. I loved Fallout 2, and the screenshots that have been floating around of #3's engine are beautiful - they look exactly like Fallout 2, only in 3D. I'd have bought that game, no questions asked.

Half-Life 2 is going to a ways away. If Doom 3 comes out soon, I'll be playing that for who knows how long. But didn't Carmack say they'd be releasing a technology test, similar to Q3Test? That might be the new stuff that the idsoftware site is talking about. I was under the impression that D3 was still a while off. I still want it to be a while off - I don't like hearing that SP is short. MP is probably going to be awesome, granted, and the mods for this game are going to rule. But I want D3 to be longer than Max Payne 2 - it doesn't have to give me 36-40 hours of play like HL2 is claiming, but I do want something that I can't beat in one day.
Don't interplay own the license for the Freespace games too? I wish they would release the license of games that they don't intend to continue. Atleast then we could get some public domain games out of the series. I'd love to write a GBA port of the original Fallout game.

Half-life 2 is nowhere near finished. But unlike other games that are delayed, Valve likes to lead people into believing that the game will be out really soon. Only those who know Valve's history well knew for sure they were talking crap when they said HL 2 would be out in 2003. Doom 3 will be out way before it.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-03, 09:03 AM   #27
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Sure, I'm not happy about Half-life 2's delay, but as long as the game is good when it's released I'll be happy with it. Who even cares how much the developer pimps it, or how much hype the game is getting? The only thing that matters is the end result, and based on what I've seen Half-life 2 is more then enough to get excited over.
But hype can be a very dangerous thing. I know I'm going to buy HL2 and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. But that's also how I felt about Halo, and well...we all know how that turned out.

I am confident, however, that Doom 3 will beat HL2 to market.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-03, 09:09 AM   #28
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
But hype can be a very dangerous thing.
I think that hits the nail on the head, no matter how good something is, if you hype it up as being just around the corner people get sick of having the carrot dangled in front of them. An audience that cannot see what is going on, is better than a cynical audience for a product this size.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-03, 10:01 AM   #29
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

And HL2 was just around the corner...three months ago. But I still don't think that has caused people to lose interest. If it was any other franchise (save for Doom) you can bet people would have stopped caring weeks ago.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-03, 05:56 PM   #30
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
That's exactly what I thought the first time I saw them. The one with the Big Blue Building looks fine. Okay. But I wasn't really impressed by the other two. The characters look like... er... HL1 with better textures. Just my opinion. This is rather strange by the way, it seemed to me too that the models in the previous screenshots/videos looked better. Weird.

mrsabidji
its because VAlve use sometimes -concept art- in their screenshots..

the BIg blue builiding is concept art (confirmed by valve!!! -means not rendered in Source engine but in a professional 3d package) and a screenshot that appears in a mag of machine room with thousands of polys

http://www.hl2central.net/screenshot...ner_input1.jpg

is concept art too.. notice the link even have the word "concept" there.. means rendered in proffesional 3dsoftware like this..

http://www.softimage.com/community/x...siggraph/1.htm

textures can be from the game ,but the quality of the renderer is from a proffesional 3dpackage. all screenshots of Gordon freeman are concept art ,too,, because no character in the game has HAir..(same with Doom3) like it looks to have in this screenshot ...

http://www.tweaktown.com/comments.php?nId=3583

but only a painted texture to simulate hair..
if you want to really see GOrdon freeman how detailed it is... type "thirdperson 1" in the official demo of HL2 .. and you will see the -real- in game polygon count model without textures of Gfreeman. i have no doubt that the mod community will be able to create very detailed character models ,levels and mods but as always the retail games always ship with the minimun quality to target the performance of most hardware in the market..

if a screenshot looks too perfect the lines .."no jaggies" ,it is very probably that it is concept art .. AA in hL2 was not fixed until few time ago..thats why HL2 fans asked VAlve sometime ago about the many jaggies in almost all Hl2 screenshots ..somethink to think about.

Last edited by Nv40; 12-24-03 at 12:24 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-03, 03:57 AM   #31
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by Nv40
its because VAlve use sometimes -concept art- in their screenshots..

the BIg blue builiding is concept art (confirmed by valve!!! -means not rendered in Source engine but in a professional 3d package) and a screenshot that appears in a mag of machine room with thousands of polys

http://www.hl2central.net/screenshot...ner_input1.jpg

is concept art too.. notice the link even have the word "concept" there.. means rendered in proffesional 3dsoftware like this..

textures can be from the game ,but the quality of the renderer is from a proffesional 3dpackage. all screenshots of Gordon freeman are concept art ,too,, because no character in the game has HAir..(same with Doom3) like it looks to have in this screenshot ...

http://1.p.adtrix.com/pexpand.cgi?x=23774874

but only a painted texture to simulate hair..
if you want to really see GOrdon freeman how detailed it is... type "thirdperson 1" in the official demo of HL2 .. and you will see the -real- in game polygon count model without textures of Gfreeman. i have no doubt that the mod community will be able to create very detailed character models ,levels and mods but as always the retail games always ship with the minimun quality to target the performance of most hardware in the market..

if a screenshot looks too perfect the lines .."no jaggies" ,it is very probably that it is concept art .. AA in hL2 was not fixed until few time ago..thats why HL2 fans asked VAlve sometime ago about the many jaggies in almost all Hl2 screenshots ..somethink to think about.

Uh Nv40......I think you need to edit that last link bud I dont see anything to do with a screenshot
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-03, 12:26 PM   #32
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
Uh Nv40......I think you need to edit that last link bud I dont see anything to do with a screenshot

fixed...

http://www.tweaktown.com/comments.php?nId=3583

the screenshots of gordon freeman there is concept art.. done by professional 3d software.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote