Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-11, 09:25 PM   #85
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

January 9th 2012 is presumably the official launch date of the HD7950 and HD7970 high end single GPU cards, with the dual GPU version stated for march, and as for performance, it seems the single GPU versions will be in the same performance ballpark as the HD6990/GTX590 cards, wich are both Dual GPU cards as we all know....Pretty impressive.


So i'm hoping that if Kepler is really as far for as some leaks suggest, that Nvidia doesn't pull a GTX480 on us made up of a sawed off PCB and woodscrews, trying to pass it off as the real thing, as it was already pretty embarrassing the first time around as it is.


As for your dual GTX560 setup, it's also more expensive than a single HD6970 card, depends on SLI profiles, uses more power and performance scaling always varies quite a bit from game to game, just like it does with crossfire....Some games fly with it, and on some the performance increase isn't so great.


As for the 3D glasses, i'd like something that looks like the oakley glasses that have a very thin frame and wrap around lenses, so that i can use something called peripheral vision without having to move my head much when using 3 displays in surround mode....It's just a little thing that everyone enjoys since they were born, so nothing major really...
shadow001 is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 10:05 PM   #86
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
January 9th 2012 is presumably the official launch date of the HD7950 and HD7970 high end single GPU cards, with the dual GPU version stated for march, and as for performance, it seems the single GPU versions will be in the same performance ballpark as the HD6990/GTX590 cards, wich are both Dual GPU cards as we all know....Pretty impressive.


So i'm hoping that if Kepler is really as far for as some leaks suggest, that Nvidia doesn't pull a GTX480 on us made up of a sawed off PCB and woodscrews, trying to pass it off as the real thing, as it was already pretty embarrassing the first time around as it is.


As for your dual GTX560 setup, it's also more expensive than a single HD6970 card, depends on SLI profiles, uses more power and performance scaling always varies quite a bit from game to game, just like it does with crossfire....Some games fly with it, and on some the performance increase isn't so great.


As for the 3D glasses, i'd like something that looks like the oakley glasses that have a very thin frame and wrap around lenses, so that i can use something called peripheral vision without having to move my head much when using 3 displays in surround mode....It's just a little thing that everyone enjoys since they were born, so nothing major really...
You know, I had a good old fashioned "Rollo beatdown" all typed up, but Merry Christmas to you, and I hope ATi launches products you enjoy using.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 11:09 PM   #87
MUYA
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,795
Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
January 9th 2012 is presumably the official launch date of the HD7950 and HD7970 high end single GPU cards, with the dual GPU version stated for march, and as for performance, it seems the single GPU versions will be in the same performance ballpark as the HD6990/GTX590 cards, wich are both Dual GPU cards as we all know....Pretty impressive.


So i'm hoping that if Kepler is really as far for as some leaks suggest, that Nvidia doesn't pull a GTX480 on us made up of a sawed off PCB and woodscrews, trying to pass it off as the real thing, as it was already pretty embarrassing the first time around as it is.


As for your dual GTX560 setup, it's also more expensive than a single HD6970 card, depends on SLI profiles, uses more power and performance scaling always varies quite a bit from game to game, just like it does with crossfire....Some games fly with it, and on some the performance increase isn't so great.


As for the 3D glasses, i'd like something that looks like the oakley glasses that have a very thin frame and wrap around lenses, so that i can use something called peripheral vision without having to move my head much when using 3 displays in surround mode....It's just a little thing that everyone enjoys since they were born, so nothing major really...
Who is to say Kepler won't deliver similar or better performance either!

But ya...i need to upgrade my 580 fast!
__________________
I5-2500k@4.7GHz - MSI Z77A-GD65 - 4GB X2 A-DATA DDR3 1600 - Corsair H100 - Antec Quatro 850W
Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 680 OC - Dell 24" IPS
Intel 320 300 GB SSD - 1 TB Hitachi HDD - 2x 250 GB WD HDD
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline  
Old 12-12-11, 11:39 PM   #88
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
Who is to say Kepler won't deliver similar or better performance either!

But ya...i need to upgrade my 580 fast!
It might, but the first Kepler products are slated for 2Q 2012, so like, May at the earliest. AMD is gonna have a nice long uncontested reign, looks like.
Ninja Prime is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 12:17 AM   #89
MUYA
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,795
Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

I want to upgrade to performance level that is higher than my 580 nao!! My 580 was an improvement over my 295 GTX but not by a whopping much!! So I have been at that level for 2 years!!!! I need more FPS NAO! well u get the picture
__________________
I5-2500k@4.7GHz - MSI Z77A-GD65 - 4GB X2 A-DATA DDR3 1600 - Corsair H100 - Antec Quatro 850W
Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 680 OC - Dell 24" IPS
Intel 320 300 GB SSD - 1 TB Hitachi HDD - 2x 250 GB WD HDD
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 01:01 AM   #90
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
Who is to say Kepler won't deliver similar or better performance either!

But ya...i need to upgrade my 580 fast!

Absolutely true, it'll have to be much faster than the GTX580 since it's built on the 28nm process, wich allows the transistor budget to either release a brand new architecture, or seriously enhance the fermi one, and fabrication process shrinks only happen every 2~3 years, so it might be a while before we see an even smaller process from TSMC...


As for AMD's new part, it seems to be 380mm^ in die size, and packing 4.5 billion transistors, with the intended clock speed being 1 Ghz on a 384 bit memory bus, with cards packing up to 3 GB of ram onboard....On transistor budget alone, that 1.9 billion more than cayman on the HD6970 cards, and using a brand new architecture(GCN).



So if these leaks turn out to be accurate, and the performance boost is substancial, it'll make it that much harder waiting for what Nvidia will release, assuming it won't be seen until the middle of next year.
shadow001 is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 01:06 AM   #91
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
You know, I had a good old fashioned "Rollo beatdown" all typed up, but Merry Christmas to you, and I hope ATi launches products you enjoy using.

Heh, i'm actually using 3 GTX580's and water cooled to boot, and over the last 15 years, i've switched from both companies so many times depending on who had the fastest cards that i've lost count....


Oh....Merry christmas to you too.
shadow001 is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 12:27 PM   #92
i SPY
007
 
i SPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: You were sayin'
Posts: 290
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
The question was which standard developers prefer, not which is more efficient. Only two games currently released were given as examples of Bullet, I have around 15 PhysX games on my shelf. It's pretty obvious which developers prefer.

As far as "ye olde but some of those games are bad games!" argument goes, so what? The question is which developers prefer and obviously it's PhysX. I could say the same about Direct3d- 90% of the games aren't what I'd call "good games". Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Direct3d.


Source? Here they are a couple months ago not only saying they have no plans to do it, but that developers aren't even asking them to do it:

http://physxinfo.com/news/6419/exclu...sx-technology/

so much *facepalms*..


The only thing why devs used physx in the first place was because NV shoved some big $$$ down their pockets, nothing more. Fact? yes.

And that physx info site is more like wikipedia, better check nvidia developer site again.


As for your trolling AMD 3d vision attempt, check this
http://www.techpowerup.com/156703/Ra...-Surfaces.html


-----------

Ontopic:

here are some "specs"
http://www.3dcenter.org/news/2011-12-13

GK104

640 to 768 CUDA cores
80 to 96 TMUs (depending on what the CUDA core count ends up being)
384-bit GDDR5 memory interface, 48 ROPs
Built on the 28 nm TSMC process
Products based on this will launch in the first quarter of 2012


GK100

1024 CUDA cores
128 TMUs
512-bit GDDR5 memory interface, 64 ROPs


So far it looks weak, esp. GK104 (another 480gtx lol). GK100 is not gonna be released until Q4 2012 or even 2013, so its a fail too.


imo 28nm refresh will be better. AMD has better chance this time around, again.



And I ain't no AMD fanboy, im a technology fanboy and that's a big difference.
__________________
intel Q9450 @ 3.656Ghz [1.3875v, LLC off]| GA-X48-DS5 [Memory Enhance: Turbo]|MSi N570GTX TwinFrozrIII OC/PowerEdition|Kingston HyperX 4x2GB PC 8500 @ 1097Mhz [5-5-5-18, 2.25v]| Creative X-FI Pro [SB046A]| Tagan PipeRock 600w [48A]

i SPY is offline  

Old 12-13-11, 12:55 PM   #93
Razor1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 574
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

I think you should really give it up, nV doesn't give money to developers, they will send dev's to game companies or create code for them but not direct money.

And you have no idea what is under the hood of kepler and how the cuda cores have changed to make those comments.

I don't think you are a technology fan since you really don't know what you are talking about and just making presumptions based on half baked crap around the internet.
Razor1 is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 01:44 PM   #94
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1 View Post
I think you should really give it up, nV doesn't give money to developers, they will send dev's to game companies or create code for them but not direct money.

And you have no idea what is under the hood of kepler and how the cuda cores have changed to make those comments.

I don't think you are a technology fan since you really don't know what you are talking about and just making presumptions based on half baked crap around the internet.
Beat me to it!

Also:
Wowee! ATi may have figured out how to do 3d Vision surround only 1.5 years + after NVIDIA launced it!

I saw they finally figured out how to do the user defined profiles as well, that one only took them about 5 more years.

They are truly amazing in their ability to follow the technology curve 2-5 years after other vendors launch products.

Even "EyeFinity" their supposed achievement, was available on Matrox and NVIDIA Quadro for years prior.

Next up, ATi "invents" ambient occlusion...two years late...and if AMD doesn't lay off the rest of their staff and outsource the work to VIA/S3......
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 01:59 PM   #95
i SPY
007
 
i SPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: You were sayin'
Posts: 290
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

^


Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1 View Post
I think you should really give it up, nV doesn't give money to developers, they will send dev's to game companies or create code for them but not direct money.

And you have no idea what is under the hood of kepler and how the cuda cores have changed to make those comments.

I don't think you are a technology fan since you really don't know what you are talking about and just making presumptions based on half baked crap around the internet.


Not really, no one would sniff physx, why would they? its inefficient, runs only on nv hw and you can't make any sales like that, unless you get a big fat paycheck in advance..




As for the rest, it appears you know even less by the looks of it

Don't get me wrong GK104 will be efficient but with 24 compute processors (assuming its a 768core) it ain't gonna cut it against 32 compute units by 7970. Unless they OC it to some extremes, but that means much much higher power draw - even for a 28nm gpu, so yea in reality it could end up just like 480gtx..Power hungry, hot, but fast once OC'ed.

Btw, GK104 has the same 48 ROPs as 480gtx or 580gtx. Its improved but still kinda low, at least 56 would help a lot..
In 3dmark2011 im betting around 10K by gpu Performance score. But it looks like AMD 7970 will be around the same 11-12K gpu mark.


//
Anyway i'll come back on 9,Jan and lol at few nv fanboys or be lol'ed at And again later in March-april when nv finally releases a castrated Kepler GK104.

Troll bait off//
lol
__________________
intel Q9450 @ 3.656Ghz [1.3875v, LLC off]| GA-X48-DS5 [Memory Enhance: Turbo]|MSi N570GTX TwinFrozrIII OC/PowerEdition|Kingston HyperX 4x2GB PC 8500 @ 1097Mhz [5-5-5-18, 2.25v]| Creative X-FI Pro [SB046A]| Tagan PipeRock 600w [48A]

i SPY is offline  
Old 12-13-11, 01:59 PM   #96
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Beat me to it!

Also:
Wowee! ATi may have figured out how to do 3d Vision surround only 1.5 years + after NVIDIA launced it!

I saw they finally figured out how to do the user defined profiles as well, that one only took them about 5 more years.

They are truly amazing in their ability to follow the technology curve 2-5 years after other vendors launch products.

Even "EyeFinity" their supposed achievement, was available on Matrox and NVIDIA Quadro for years prior.

Next up, ATi "invents" ambient occlusion...two years late...and if AMD doesn't lay off the rest of their staff and outsource the work to VIA/S3......

Dunno about Quadro products, but as far as matrox is concerned, and we are talking regular consumer products, you'd be talking about the parhelia graphics processor, wich showed up a few months before ATI's R300 and the turd that was the NV30......It was limited to 3 screens at 1024*768 resolution and that was it.


Anyhow, the price of the beast is reveiled at 550$ for the HD7970 cards.


http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rade...led/14224.html
shadow001 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.