Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-11, 01:04 PM   #97
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post

Anyhow, the price of the beast is reveiled at 550$ for the HD7970 cards.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rade...led/14224.html

I'll take.... i'll take... take.... three....
Old 12-13-11, 01:42 PM   #98
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post

$1650 in graphics horsepower... wow!

What game won't run 100% maxed in-game with high level's of AA with three of these beasts? You'll be able to turn the AA up so high that minecraft will look modern.
Old 12-13-11, 01:47 PM   #99
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post

Heh, i'm debating between 3 and 4 of them myself, but using 4 means needing a second power supply that fits in a CD/DVD drive bay(thermaltake makes them) and beefing up the water cooling loop to deal with the heat generated from 4 cards, and of course the cost of the water blocks for each card.

That's what i find funny really.... Given the huge amount of power for both graphics work and GP-GPU when using 3~4 of these monsters in crossfire, why wait several months for it's competitor to show up in the first place?.....It's not like any game will stress that in any shape or form anyhow.

I can see a point if it's a single card setup and the user wants maximum bang for the buck, can still wait with their current card, and 15~20% means the world to them, assuming kepler is that much faster in gaming.(unknown at this point).
Old 12-13-11, 02:21 PM   #100
Razor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i SPY View Post
^

Not really, no one would sniff physx, why would they? its inefficient, runs only on nv hw and you can't make any sales like that, unless you get a big fat paycheck in advance..

As for the rest, it appears you know even less by the looks of it
BS I work at NBC's gaming division and work with nV dev's, and developer support on a daily basis, although we haven't made a discussion yet to use phsyX, its a possibility since its a premade very robust physics library, the cost of creating another or even using another premade one to get all the same features costs alot of money and time.

PS if we were getting money from nV I would know about it.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong GK104 will be efficient but with 24 compute processors (assuming its a 768core) it ain't gonna cut it against 32 compute units by 7970. Unless they OC it to some extremes, but that means much much higher power draw - even for a 28nm gpu, so yea in reality it could end up just like 480gtx..Power hungry, hot, but fast once OC'ed.

Btw, GK104 has the same 48 ROPs as 480gtx or 580gtx. Its improved but still kinda low, at least 56 would help a lot..
In 3dmark2011 im betting around 10K by gpu Performance score. But it looks like AMD 7970 will be around the same 11-12K gpu mark.
What makes you so sure, not all SIMD's are equal, nV's domain clocks are much higher then AMD's in the past, so you are comparing apples to oranges and trying to make an assumption with out any background not to mention not even thinking of the past.

I can't even believe you threw ROP's out there, do we really need any more ROP's? did you look at fillrates and how much more we will need, its not like our resolutions are increasing more right now, its not like we are trying to do more MSAA or SSAA......
Old 12-13-11, 02:55 PM   #101
i SPY

Yes physx is robust at crippling raw gpu efficiency. Very clever, tell those nv devs to wake up already.
Also why would they give your NBC gaming section big bucks, are you planing to make some "blockbuster" game with physx? heh i thought so.

And AMD is doing nv's homework with its unified core, so those 24 compute processors or compute units are same sheit when it comes to compute capable apps.

Also you can never have enough ROPs. Both pixel and texture fillrate are still too low, i saw that on a OC'ed 570gtx at low reso. At Least 50Gpixel and +70gtexel (nv fillrates) is needed for super smooth 60fps+high aa at 1080P. This includes 5year old Crysis 1.
intel Q9450 @ 3.656Ghz [1.3875v, LLC off]| GA-X48-DS5 [Memory Enhance: Turbo]|MSi N570GTX TwinFrozrIII OC/PowerEdition|Kingston HyperX 4x2GB PC 8500 @ 1097Mhz [5-5-5-18, 2.25v]| Creative X-FI Pro [SB046A]| Tagan PipeRock 600w [48A]

Old 12-13-11, 06:18 PM   #102
Rollo

Personally I think the 7970 is ATi's swan song in the enthusiast market, and that when "Project Win" is released next quarter the new exit CEO is going to speak of a "new direction".

Given their last two enthusiast launches, the Blowdryer 6990 and the BeefDozer, I can't say as I blame him. A guy coming into the company from the outside business world has to look at this junk and think "WTF? They actually paid people money to create this?"

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 12-13-11, 06:30 PM   #103
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Personally I think the 7970 is ATi's swan song in the enthusiast market, and that when "Project Win" is released next quarter the new exit CEO is going to speak of a "new direction".

Given their last two enthusiast launches, the Blowdryer 6990 and the BeefDozer, I can't say as I blame him. A guy coming into the company from the outside business world has to look at this junk and think "WTF? They actually paid people money to create this?"

I'll give it to you that the bulldozer didn't live up to expectations given that it had been mentioned for the past 5 years in rumors, but as far as a dual GPU releases from both companies, neither should talk too much since both cards exceed the PCI-e consortiums power limit standard of 300 watts to begin with, so they are both not PCI-e certified period...

And frankly, if noise is that much of a concern and considering that either graphics card isn't cheap, both should be water cooled anyhow....I did it with my GTX580's and it was labour intensive and not cheap in the least, but the silence, lower temperatures(55*C max load), and extra overclockability i got from doing it was well worth it(950 Mhz core on all 3 cards)...

So nice attempt at damage control seeing that Nvidia hasn't mentioned anything with regards to kepler, but for those who do buy their hardware with their own money, your BS doesn't fly.....I've had great gaming experiences with both ATI/AMD and Nvidia graphics cards in the past 15 years, plain and simple...
Old 12-13-11, 06:42 PM   #104
Rollo

There's not really any "damage" to "control". NVIDIA is the desktop discrete market leader, and could buy what's left of AMD/ATi with the money they had earmarked for a new coffee machine in the mailroom.

AMD is imploding, say goodbye baby, baby bye bye.....

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]

Old 12-13-11, 08:32 PM   #105
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Lets not start a flame/troll war here please
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
Old 12-13-11, 08:34 PM   #106
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
There's not really any "damage" to "control". NVIDIA is the desktop discrete market leader, and could buy what's left of AMD/ATi with the money they had earmarked for a new coffee machine in the mailroom.

AMD is imploding, say goodbye baby, baby bye bye.....

Really?.... What happened to Nvidia's chipset business(), or even the low end video card add in business, now that AMD has the liano based CPU's with built in graphics cores supporting DX11, and selling more of those than they can make, mainly because global foundries can't make them fast enough?...Say goodbye to any graphics card selling for 100$ or less, wich represents the bulk of video card sales to large OEM's building budget systems like Dell, or HP and pays most of the bills....The user is better off using the GPU that comes with the CPU in those setups.

I'll say it again, AMD screwed up on bulldozer for sure, but their graphics division is doing just fine thank you, much to the dismay and displeasure of Nvidia...
Old 12-13-11, 08:36 PM   #107
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
Lets not start a flame/troll war here please

Not starting one at all on my end, just that Rollo has a pretty selective memory in certain areas, that's all.
Old 12-13-11, 09:45 PM   #108
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Seems at Fudzilla they are reporting a 28nm piece at Santa Clara? But the person they asked did not specify Kepler....

So does this mean no keplers and just die shrinks of the current mainstream and mobile parts? or did that person deliberately not confirm kepler to keep everyone guessing when they really have it...

...silly season!!!!!!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
Closed Thread