Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-09-11, 10:16 AM   #97
kokoko3k

Default Re: NVIDIA, please, fix Adobe Flash 10.2.x and 10.3.x

Lacks of Hardware scaling also means video tearing, i'll open a bug report about video tearing in the future, just to see how far they will insist on that line.
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:20 AM   #98
lexa2

Send a message via ICQ to lexa2 Send a message via Skype™ to lexa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko3k View Post
Lacks of Hardware scaling also means video tearing, i'll open a bug report about video tearing in the future, just to see how far they will insist on that line.
Let me guess: "[CLOSED NOTABUG] We don't support tear-free video on linux anymore."
lexa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 07:05 PM   #99
artem

Funnily or not the overlay problem is back with flashplayer11-2_p3_install_lin_32_122011 (11.2 beta 3)

(I don't even want to talk about constant crashes and hangs when I try to resize a video player window).
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 04:29 AM   #100
one_and_only

But, on the other hand, CPU usage is significantly lower (at least for me)

(and I changed background of my console to 0,0,1 so overlay bug is not so annoying)

Last edited by one_and_only; 12-24-11 at 04:33 AM.
one_and_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 05:26 AM   #101
artem

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_and_only View Post
(and I changed background of my console to 0,0,1 so overlay bug is not so annoying)
that's funny
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 11:06 PM   #102
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

Note that to work around the poor choice of color key in this case, you can set VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 when starting Firefox. If you're observing any hangs with 290.10 and the latest Flash beta that go away when setting VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 and/or moving libnvidia_vdpau.so out of the way to disable VDPAU support, please open a separate thread.

For any other issues, such as Xlib errors or plugin crashes, they're most likely Flash bugs rather than driver problems so our options are quite limited in this case.
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 06:35 AM   #103
thecapsaicinkid

I cannot describe how sick of Flash I am, it alone makes me hate using Linux. I cannot enable hardware acceleration as it's only a matter of time before the player and X hit a combined 100% cpu usage and lock the entire system.

I've made a thread here if anyone wants to contribute
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4105440#4105440
thecapsaicinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 09:49 PM   #104
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

For people running into either the "leaking overlay" or the "blue people" problems, I wrote a patch to libvdpau_trace.so designed to suppress them.

Please clone libvdpau from git and apply this:

http://plagman.net/stuff/0001-vdpau_...h-quirks.patch

This will cause the resulting trace library to change the VDPAU behavior of any clients that have tracing enabled, so make sure you only enable tracing for the web browser that loads the Flash plugin (eg. for Firefox in Ubuntu, you'd add an "export VDPAU_TRACE=1" line to /usr/lib/firefox-n.n/firefox.sh). Trying to use tracing on any other VDAU client after this has been installed won't work right as it suppresses all the tracing messages and swaps color channels for some operations. Please make sure to restore a vanilla build of libvdpau_trace.so on your system before filing a VDPAU bug against something else.
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-12, 07:36 PM   #105
one_and_only

Well, I somehow missed latest beta from Adobe (even having their rss) but I'm realy impressed after 30 minutes of testing. No crashes, low CPU usage, even on other video sites than youtube. Overlay bug (easily "workaroundable" though) still exist, but sill, IMO worth checking out:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11-2.html
Old 01-30-12, 09:11 PM   #106
jcornwall

I just gave the new beta a spin with Plagman's patch and it's running pretty well.

Forcing video decode acceleration in mms.cfg turns it into an unstable mess on my GTX 470, but with just render acceleration and a Phenom II X3 for decoding it's a pretty smooth, tear-free experience on my system.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 11:51 AM   #107
one_and_only

I tried with with HW acceleration enabled, youtube is fine, but it crashes every single time on vimeo (so i switched to html5 there)
Old 01-31-12, 04:05 PM   #108
lexa2

Send a message via ICQ to lexa2 Send a message via Skype™ to lexa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
For people running into either the "leaking overlay" or the "blue people" problems, I wrote a patch to libvdpau_trace.so designed to suppress them.
Thank you for your patch! I've got a question about the correct way to install it.
Is this the "correct" procedure:
1) Clone current libvdpau git HEAD, apply patch to it, autoreconf -f && configure && make && make install.
2) Head on to /usr/lib, remove /usr/lib/libvdpau_trace.so symlink pointing to /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_trace.so.{nVIDIA_DRIVER_VER} and create a new symlink named /usr/lib/libvdpau_trace.so pointing to newly installed /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_trace.so.1.0.0

I.e., what I mean is a "what is the "general picture" on the vdpau libs installed on the system and their relation to each other?" question. May libvdpau* libs compiled from cloned git be used instead of the libs, installed by the display driver? What are the possible drawbacks in doing so, if any? What is the correct way to interchange libs, installed by the driver, and libs, installed as the result of libvdpau git clone/compile?

Thanks in advance for clarifications.
lexa2 is offline   Reply With Quote