Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-12, 02:58 PM   #1
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Bored...

So very bored of the gaming selection right now. There just doesn't seem to be anything to fit the kind of game I'm craving. Everything seems to have such a heavy emphasis on MP, with any SP being an after thought. There are exceptions like Dues Ex, but such games seem few and far between.

I'm watching Star Trek: Voyager on Netflix and how awesome it'd be to have a FPS game based off of that. Encounters with the Borg and other dangerous species. It's a sci-fi with great variety- some situations the weapons and equipment are extremely high-tech and in others they're more like present day.

The last SP campaign I played that really wowed me- really hooked me, seems to have been Quake 4. I would love another game such as that- where you're battling on the ground, but also in space. I loved the part of Quake 4 where the Hannibal is under Strogg attack and you're rushing to your pod with the battle raging all around you. My only complaint is I wished that part played out longer, with you actually fighting the Strogg on the ship. You'd have a time limit, you'd have to reach your pod before the ship was destroyed or completely taken over. Not a set time limit as that'd be too predictable each play through.

I guess what I'm wanting would be a mixture of Quake 4 and The Elder Scrolls... that kind of game. It would be incredible imo. The battles to be had in space, the skies, on the ground, and under the ground. A large, and very expansive game like that would be an immensely addictive game for me.

Right now the closest modern game available seems to be AvP only it is definitely lacking in it's open-endedness. And the SP campaign seems to become tiresome after a while. I think it is mostly due to the frustrating save-game system than anything. Never did beat the marine campaign- I seem to recall getting to a point where I just couldn't make it to the next save-game checkpoint. But there is a lot that happens between the checkpoints so when I quit and started the game up at a later date I'd have to start back from the last check point and go through everything all over again. Easily 20-30 minutes of gameplay with no save-game checkpoint. Get's frustrating. lol

Meh. Prey 2 sounds like it could at least partially fill this "void" in gaming I'm having. Maybe if HL3 ever comes out, Doom 4 is planned and it could be very entertaining if they maintain it is a SP-first, MP as an after thought kind of game.

Another kind of gameplay I'd enjoy is co-op. Proper co-op during the campaign. In Doom4 imagine the NPCs that normally assist you? Well it could be a friend instead of an NPC. And they could acompany you throughout the campaign. Much like the survivors in L4D and L4D2 only for the duration of a full-blown SP campaign. I'd love to see something like that in a game like Doom 4, Quake 5 (if they ever make it), or maybe even in Prey 2.

Meh, guess I'll just go back to very little gaming. Mostly playing through what I already have in my collection. In the mean time I've got Voyager to help pass the time.

Anyhow just felt like creating a random thread to vent. It seems like so many people here are really enjoying the MP games like BF3 and MW3. I beat the MW3 SP campaign on my best friends 360 and it was very enjoyable, but I can tell the heart of the game seems to be it's MP.

Any other gamers feel this way? Not interested in today's popular MP? Just wanting a solid SP experience? A solid story line, a believable plot that develops and unfolds? Anybody else that misses the days of gaming where a game was a story that as it was being told, you partook in it? Unlike a movie where you're a mere observer, but you get to actually experience and be a part of the plot as it progresses? Anybody else miss those days? Seems fewer and fewer games are made like this. And it is unfortunate, in my opinion.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 03:05 PM   #2
bob saget
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, originally Russia
Posts: 23,134
Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Bored...

Dead Space 1+2, Batman, Metro?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 03:06 PM   #3
Notdeadyet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
So very bored of the gaming selection right now. There just doesn't seem to be anything to fit the kind of game I'm craving. Everything seems to have such a heavy emphasis on MP, with any SP being an after thought. There are exceptions like Dues Ex, but such games seem few and far between.

I'm watching Star Trek: Voyager on Netflix and how awesome it'd be to have a FPS game based off of that. Encounters with the Borg and other dangerous species. It's a sci-fi with great variety- some situations the weapons and equipment are extremely high-tech and in others they're more like present day.

The last SP campaign I played that really wowed me- really hooked me, seems to have been Quake 4. I would love another game such as that- where you're battling on the ground, but also in space. I loved the part of Quake 4 where the Hannibal is under Strogg attack and you're rushing to your pod with the battle raging all around you. My only complaint is I wished that part played out longer, with you actually fighting the Strogg on the ship. You'd have a time limit, you'd have to reach your pod before the ship was destroyed or completely taken over. Not a set time limit as that'd be too predictable each play through.

I guess what I'm wanting would be a mixture of Quake 4 and The Elder Scrolls... that kind of game. It would be incredible imo. The battles to be had in space, the skies, on the ground, and under the ground. A large, and very expansive game like that would be an immensely addictive game for me.

Right now the closest modern game available seems to be AvP only it is definitely lacking in it's open-endedness. And the SP campaign seems to become tiresome after a while. I think it is mostly due to the frustrating save-game system than anything. Never did beat the marine campaign- I seem to recall getting to a point where I just couldn't make it to the next save-game checkpoint. But there is a lot that happens between the checkpoints so when I quit and started the game up at a later date I'd have to start back from the last check point and go through everything all over again. Easily 20-30 minutes of gameplay with no save-game checkpoint. Get's frustrating. lol

Meh. Prey 2 sounds like it could at least partially fill this "void" in gaming I'm having. Maybe if HL3 ever comes out, Doom 4 is planned and it could be very entertaining if they maintain it is a SP-first, MP as an after thought kind of game.

Another kind of gameplay I'd enjoy is co-op. Proper co-op during the campaign. In Doom4 imagine the NPCs that normally assist you? Well it could be a friend instead of an NPC. And they could acompany you throughout the campaign. Much like the survivors in L4D and L4D2 only for the duration of a full-blown SP campaign. I'd love to see something like that in a game like Doom 4, Quake 5 (if they ever make it), or maybe even in Prey 2.

Meh, guess I'll just go back to very little gaming. Mostly playing through what I already have in my collection. In the mean time I've got Voyager to help pass the time.

Anyhow just felt like creating a random thread to vent. It seems like so many people here are really enjoying the MP games like BF3 and MW3. I beat the MW3 SP campaign on my best friends 360 and it was very enjoyable, but I can tell the heart of the game seems to be it's MP.

Any other gamers feel this way? Not interested in today's popular MP? Just wanting a solid SP experience? A solid story line, a believable plot that develops and unfolds? Anybody else that misses the days of gaming where a game was a story that as it was being told, you partook in it? Unlike a movie where you're a mere observer, but you get to actually experience and be a part of the plot as it progresses? Anybody else miss those days? Seems fewer and fewer games are made like this. And it is unfortunate, in my opinion.
GoW, if you've never played it, has excellent co-op and was (mho) very well done.
Notdeadyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 03:12 PM   #4
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Bored...

Mass Effect?

X3?

Skyrim?

But really, I like multiplayer way more than singleplayer.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:04 PM   #5
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
Dead Space 1+2, Batman, Metro?
I've played and beaten both Dead Space games, and enjoyed them immensely though for some reason I just don't feel like playing through them. The Batman games don't really... interest me. I've beaten Metro and am greatly looking forward to the next one.

I don't know what it is but I'm drawn to a futuristic sci-fi war game. Hence my obsession with Quake 4 and Doom. I'm not certain what it is... the Strogg remind me of the Borg greatly and at heart I'm a Trekkie. I guess I'm wanting a Quake 4 like game, if that makes any sense. There just doesn't seem to be anything out there. Dead Space comes close, and I've heard a great deal of good about the Mass Effect games, have not played those yet. I just don't particularly like the 3rd person point of view. In my opinion it detracts from the immersion- makes you feel more like an observer than the one actually experiencing the events unfold. First person puts you in the character, 3rd person has you watching the character. Enjoyable, but not as preferrable as first person POV. In my opinion, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notdeadyet View Post
GoW, if you've never played it, has excellent co-op and was (mho) very well done.
Hmm... I have the first one. Started playing but never finished. It seems like a game I'd greatly enjoy if I could play it from the first-person perspective. The story, or what I know if it, does sound intriguing though.

Another series I greatly enjoyed but was not able to follow was the Halo games. Not the MP but the SP. One of my fondest gaming memories was the beginning of Halo aboard the ship when it is being attacked. That was so much fun traversing the corridors battling the enemy. I never did play any of the Halo games after that. If I recall Halo 2 eventually came out on PC but none of the others have. I guess I figured why purchase and play Halo 2 if I'll not play any of the others. And buying a console is out of the question- I don't have a TV and space in my trailer is limited. Beside- why spend several hundred on a console when my computer is beyond capable of playing every console game ever made if they were ported over? So I just opt to do with out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Mass Effect?

X3?

Skyrim?

But really, I like multiplayer way more than singleplayer.
Mass Effect I do plan to pick up. As I've already said 3rd person shooters aren't my preferred type of game but I can still enjoy them, and the Mass Effect games sound like I'd like them a lot. X3 I know very little about. Is it first or third person, and does it have a very well done SP campaign? If so I'll have to look into it. Skyrim I can get free through work once Bethesda has verified the copy of my pay stub I've sent to them. Oblivion consumed far more hours of my life than I'd care to admit, and I'm sure Skyrim will do the same once I get it.

But as you pointed out with your last sentence that seems to be the new trend. People seem to enjoy the hectic battles of modern MP games like CoD and BF. Old school SP gamers such as myself are fading out is what it comes down to. There will always be SP titles but they'll be much less than they were some years ago. Think I'm just lamenting is what it boils down to. It seems very few gamers feel as I do anymore. Kinda' sucks as I may have to find a new "primary" hobby. I've been feeling this way for years but haven't really pursued anything else. Probably time to.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:09 PM   #6
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
That's strange. The only MP game I really play is iRacing, other than that I only play SP games with the exception of a few quick MP rounds in some games. Still haven't played MW3 MP and I'm starting to loose interest in BF3 MP already after just a couple of hours.

So I know what you mean and I buy games for their SP parts since I prefer them as well. And still, I barely had enough time to keep up with all those games in the Fall/Winter of 2011...

There were so many awesome games released, it's strange that you're bored with the selection right now
I was kind of hoping you'd chime in. I think part of it is the games that have been released aren't anything that really jumps out and grabs my attention. I'm not sure that there is any SP game out right now that would really fit the bill for what I'm after. Hard Reset may be enjoyable, thought about picking it up during the steam sale but didn't.

I've still got Crysis Warhead to play through and the SP portion of Section 8- but that seems like it may be tedious, the SP of Section 8 doesn't seem to be very well done. It seems more like training for the MP portion of the game. Not only that, on my other Steam account I've got several of the FEAR titles I've yet to play and all of the STALKER games after the first one. However, none of those seem to really grab my interest. Out of all the games I own I only feel like playing Quake 4 and AvP. Quake 4 I've beaten so many times it quickly becomes boring and as I mentioned in my first post AvP SP just frustrates me to much because of it's save system. Though now that I'm thinking of it the alien campaign was very enjoyable. Short, but very enjoyable. Might just have another play through of that.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:10 PM   #7
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970
 
Fotis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,350
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I'm watching Star Trek: Voyager on Netflix and how awesome it'd be to have a FPS game based off of that. Encounters with the Borg and other dangerous species. It's a sci-fi with great variety- some situations the weapons and equipment are extremely high-tech and in others they're more like present day.
Star Trek Eite Force
Star Trek Elite Force II
__________________
Intel Core i7 4770K|Thermalright True Spirit 120|Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC|2x8GB Kingston DDR3 2400MHz|Evga Geforce 780Ti SC 3GB|Samsung SSD 830 256GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair AX1200i PSU|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|AKASA Eclipse 62 case|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 8.1 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:12 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Mass Effect I do plan to pick up. As I've already said 3rd person shooters aren't my preferred type of game but I can still enjoy them, and the Mass Effect games sound like I'd like them a lot. X3 I know very little about. Is it first or third person, and does it have a very well done SP campaign? If so I'll have to look into it. Skyrim I can get free through work once Bethesda has verified the copy of my pay stub I've sent to them. Oblivion consumed far more hours of my life than I'd care to admit, and I'm sure Skyrim will do the same once I get it.
Mass Effect is one of the few games that got the third person right.

If you don't know anything about X3, use the google machine. I'm not going to spoon feed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
But as you pointed out with your last sentence that seems to be the new trend. People seem to enjoy the hectic battles of modern MP games like CoD and BF. Old school SP gamers such as myself are fading out is what it comes down to. There will always be SP titles but they'll be much less than they were some years ago. Think I'm just lamenting is what it boils down to. It seems very few gamers feel as I do anymore. Kinda' sucks as I may have to find a new "primary" hobby. I've been feeling this way for years but haven't really pursued anything else. Probably time to.
No, people enjoy being social and playing games with their friends. Not sitting all alone and playing SP by their self all the time. Really, if you can't find a good SP game today you should just give up gaming all together as there are tons out there... Hell, the ones I mentioned you even said you were interested in but never tried, so how can you say there are no SP games?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-12, 04:21 PM   #9
MowTin
 
MowTin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I've heard a great deal of good about the Mass Effect games, have not played those yet.
There's your answer. ME is sci-fi bliss. It's like being in a well written sci-fi movie. Play through 1 and 2 and 3 is on the way.
__________________
i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz | 480 GTX | 3x2GB OCZ Gold | x58 3SLI | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Samsung 226BW | Samsung 4665F LCD HDTV | Kenwood 500W receiver

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:22 PM   #10
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
Ah yes, I've played the first but not the second. I need to see if I can find a copy on Amazon. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Mass Effect is one of the few games that got the third person right.

If you don't know anything about X3, use the google machine. I'm not going to spoon feed you.
WTH? Yes Mother. Didn't realize typing out a one or two-sentence answer to those questions constitutes spoon feeding.

The Mass Effect games I'll have to pick up. Nothing I've heard about them sound bad, I think I'll really enjoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
No, people enjoy being social and playing games with their friends. Not sitting all alone and playing SP by their self all the time. Really, if you can't find a good SP game today you should just give up gaming all together as there are tons out there... Hell, the ones I mentioned you even said you were interested in but never tried, so how can you say there are no SP games?
I enjoy being social just not while game, or at least not frequently. I do very much enjoy Co-op though, I've never been a very competitive person however which may explain my lack of interest in CoD and BF type games. I do hope to see more Co-op games. I thoroughly enjoyed the L4D games and Borderlands. I'll likely pick up Borderlands 2 at some point.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:23 PM   #11
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
There's your answer. ME is sci-fi bliss. It's like being in a well written sci-fi movie. Play through 1 and 2 and 3 is on the way.
I had a hunch I should have grabbed them when they were on sale! Dang it! Gonna' have to wait till the next sale as spare cash is of short supply right now. I think I'll pick up ME 1 and 2 up as soon as possible. Thank you.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:34 PM   #12
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post

I enjoy being social just not while game, or at least not frequently. I do very much enjoy Co-op though, I've never been a very competitive person however which may explain my lack of interest in CoD and BF type games. I do hope to see more Co-op games. I thoroughly enjoyed the L4D games and Borderlands. I'll likely pick up Borderlands 2 at some point.
Thats how MP is... Find people to play with, go on vent, work together... magic...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.