Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-12, 02:46 AM   #13
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: Honestly, why iphone?

Apple users make weird exceptions for when apple devices don't "just work". It's weird. Most of the solutions seem to be based on weird superstitious type thinking also - because they usually don't understand technology in any way.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 03:07 AM   #14
Airbrushkid

I don't make any exceptions. I've own 3 iPhone's never crashed never had a problem not even a dropped call. I own a iPad 2 still no problems. I own a iPod Nano now it froze once reset it and it is still running strong for 3 years now.

But I am a PC person and that's what I play games on every day. I'm not like these phony's who have a PC but play on Consoles!
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 07:07 AM   #15
Hogrider

If all I did with my Android phone is plug it into a PC and upload a file then it would have no quirks. Unfortunately that's not the case.
Old 01-09-12, 07:56 AM   #16
Vardant

Are you comparing an iPhone to a similarly priced Android?
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 08:41 AM   #17
Hogrider

We don't have an iphone... yet. I am simply saying our Android phones are very buggy.
This July when the contact is up my wife will be getting an iphone and I will more than likely go back to a Tracfone.
Old 01-09-12, 09:13 AM   #18
Vardant

Well, then how do you know it's Android related and not a phone related problem?
Old 01-09-12, 09:29 AM   #19
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

having used both the iphone and android there are certain things I like between the 2 OS, I currently have the Galaxy Nexus, but I do miss certain apps on my iphone that are just more polished then android. I had a SGII for a while and it drove me crazy how many times apps were force closing for no reason running on stock, iincluding the text msg app and camera. The camera still closes on the GN every now and then. I never had that happen on my iphone, I also dont know why it would be so hard to transfer voice files, they just appear on my PC whenever I sync, it must be the voice app they are using.

Currently im happy with my GN, but i will be keeping my eye out for the iphone 5 and hope for a bigger screen.
Old 01-09-12, 10:59 AM   #20
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Well, then how do you know it's Android related and not a phone related problem?
He doesn't. Just like six_storm's problems with Android were obviously the OS and not the old hardware.

I mean, if you run Windows 7 on a Pentium II and it's slow, wouldn't you blame Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
If all I did with my Android phone is plug it into a PC and upload a file then it would have no quirks. Unfortunately that's not the case.
Care to elaborate on the issues you're having and what phone you're using?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-12, 11:34 AM   #21
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I'd say the iPhone competitors all have and had superior hardware specs, those aren't under-speced phones.

The biggest issue with Android are those stupid front-ends that every manufacturer has to slap on the otherwise good OS. Pure Android would be much better. Luckily, Google seems to make a push in that direction finally by forcing a base interface for all manufacturers!
What I'm referring to is when old hardware attempts to run newer versions of Android. Even Apple stops older phones from updating to newer iOS versions. Part of the blame may be the vendor for updating the phone to an OS that the phone isn't capable of handling. Also, early Android phones were slow not very responsive. Honestly, Android on newer devices is a completely different experience.

As for the manufacturer ROM's, I completely agree. My next phone will be a Nexus phone.
Old 01-09-12, 11:47 AM   #22
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Yeah, the Google "reference" phones would be the only one's I'd consider as well. There you also have quickly access to new OS versions.
It's just ridiculous how long it takes most (all major) manufacturers to roll out the updates.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with all that stuff.
I mean, the manufacturer ROM's still run well. They just include links to apps that you don't want. But you can remove all of it by freezing the apps if you have root. Takes 2 minutes to fix for good. I like tweaking, so it doesn't bother me. It wasn't terribly difficult to do, either. Titanium Backup Pro does it all for you.
Old 01-09-12, 11:50 AM   #23
Vardant

You can always get a custom ROM, the changes are sometimes pretty drastic. I will have access to ICS, even though I shouldn't and the latest beta is almost as fast as the best Gingerbread ROM available. Even with all the fluff turned on. Can't imagine what I would do without Cyanogenmod

But it's not for everybody.
Old 01-09-12, 11:56 AM   #24
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
You can always get a custom ROM, the changes are sometimes pretty drastic. I will have access to ICS, even though I shouldn't and the latest beta is almost as fast as the best Gingerbread ROM available. Even with all the fluff turned on. Can't imagine what I would do without Cyanogenmod

But it's not for everybody.
Yea. ICS will not be released for Droid X either, so I will be using a custom ROM when someone releases one lol.

I'm due for a new phone at the end of the year anyways. Galaxy Nexus price should drop by then. Maybe Motorola will release a Nexus phone since it was recently acquired by Google.