Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post

yap, iphones are fragile toys
Old 01-09-12, 06:21 PM   #38
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: Honestly, why iphone?

Quote:
Interesting, then why do iPhone's crack so much more (apparently easily) than most Android devices?

Design? Since the sides of the glass are exposed?

I've seen people drop iPhones a foot or two and it shatters. My father dropped his Droid X while he was doing 70 mph on his motorcycle and the worst that happened was his 50 cent case got a scratch on the side.
Yeh, it's because the plastic bezels and backs surrounding phones like the SGS, SGS II, Atrix, whichever one you pick... they act as a slight cushion and allow the body to flex on impact. On the iPhone the aluminum band and glass back allow for no flex which is why they're more prone to actually cracking
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 07:58 PM   #39
Hogrider

Quote:
Care to elaborate on the issues you're having and what phone you're using?
My phone is the Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S). First of all the GPS chip in it sucks more than Bob on a chili dog at a gay bar. It was the main reason I bought the phone and it is horrible. Next up we have the fun times of having to reboot the phone to get a signal after leaving an area where I was connected to wifi. I also can't get half of the picture messages to show up.
My wife has a Garminfone and the GPS on it is wonderful (of course since it is a Garmin) the rest of the phone is pretty pitiful, extremely slow and locks up at least twice a day. It came with Android 1.6 and was low spec even new so yea the hardware is a lot to blame too.

None of these may be specifically Android problems but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. My wife loves her ipad and I really like ios compared to Android myself (never thought I'd be saying this as I won't even try a Mac, I'm strictly PC). Ios just seems much more polished and smooth to me. I do NOT want to have to download tweaks and roms to fix crap that should work already.
I am going for a Tracfone as I rarely even use my phone (mainly used for texting) but when my wife gets her next phone I don't want her having problems and bugging me to look at it and fix it all the time either.

As for which one won't or will break when dropped, how about taking care of your stuff and not dropping it?
Old 01-09-12, 08:41 PM   #40
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

you do know that Galaxy S is known for having horrible GPS, samsung screwed that one up.
Old 01-09-12, 09:06 PM   #41
Hogrider

Yea thanks but it's a little late. I bought it the first day it came out so there was no warning.
Old 01-09-12, 09:12 PM   #42
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Screw USB cords. Why not just use Dropbox and download straight to your phone? Cords FTL.
Because Dropbox would mean someone using itunes. What if they don't have it? I am meaning I can use ANYONE's PC (even Linux), without ANY software, and download any file they/I want to.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 10:04 PM   #43
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Yeh the dropbox claim is retarded... you can't directly access the filesystem on an iphone anyway so that point is completely moot.
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 11:07 PM   #44
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
My phone is the Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S). First of all the GPS chip in it sucks more than Bob on a chili dog at a gay bar. It was the main reason I bought the phone and it is horrible. Next up we have the fun times of having to reboot the phone to get a signal after leaving an area where I was connected to wifi. I also can't get half of the picture messages to show up.
My wife has a Garminfone and the GPS on it is wonderful (of course since it is a Garmin) the rest of the phone is pretty pitiful, extremely slow and locks up at least twice a day. It came with Android 1.6 and was low spec even new so yea the hardware is a lot to blame too.

None of these may be specifically Android problems but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. My wife loves her ipad and I really like ios compared to Android myself (never thought I'd be saying this as I won't even try a Mac, I'm strictly PC). Ios just seems much more polished and smooth to me. I do NOT want to have to download tweaks and roms to fix crap that should work already.
I am going for a Tracfone as I rarely even use my phone (mainly used for texting) but when my wife gets her next phone I don't want her having problems and bugging me to look at it and fix it all the time either.

As for which one won't or will break when dropped, how about taking care of your stuff and not dropping it?
A new Android phone, running the latest version of Android, will not have those problems. My Droid X is almost 2 years old now and its GPS is flawless. I actually prefer it to my standalone Tomtom.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-12, 11:37 PM   #45
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I agree ViN. Not only does my EVO 4g have great GPS, my Tom Tom hasn't been used since, and it's more accurate.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 04:02 AM   #46
Hogrider

Quote:
A new Android phone, running the latest version of Android, will not have those problems. My Droid X is almost 2 years old now and its GPS is flawless. I actually prefer it to my standalone Tomtom.
I now have a Garmin ZUMO GPS for my bike so need for a phone to try and do what it can do. I am going to stick to Garmin for our vehicles GPS needs from now on. Why mess with the best?
Old 01-10-12, 04:04 AM   #47
Hogrider

Double post
Old 01-10-12, 07:30 AM   #48
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
Yeh the dropbox claim is retarded... you can't directly access the filesystem on an iphone anyway so that point is completely moot.
It's not retarded. If you need to download music, books, PDFs, etc, you can use Dropbox and not even have to look at the filesystem. It's really that easy, I do it quite often as I hate having to get out my cord for my iPhone/iPad. And yes, you can access Dropbox on any computer, even Linux. Upload your files there, download them to the phone.

I will say that the iOS navigation system that's built in isn't the best since there is no voice guidance, but navigation still works and gets me where I need to go (I rarely use GPS anyways).
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote