Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-10-12, 11:37 AM   #49
ViN86

Default Re: Honestly, why iphone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
I now have a Garmin ZUMO GPS for my bike so need for a phone to try and do what it can do. I am going to stick to Garmin for our vehicles GPS needs from now on. Why mess with the best?
I disagree. I'd rather have a 3G/4G connected GPS device that can display street views or present real time traffic info. But to each their own.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 11:38 AM   #50
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
It's not retarded. If you need to download music, books, PDFs, etc, you can use Dropbox and not even have to look at the filesystem. It's really that easy, I do it quite often as I hate having to get out my cord for my iPhone/iPad. And yes, you can access Dropbox on any computer, even Linux. Upload your files there, download them to the phone.

I will say that the iOS navigation system that's built in isn't the best since there is no voice guidance, but navigation still works and gets me where I need to go (I rarely use GPS anyways).
So, they purchased one of the world's best voice recognition companies (Siri), then they don't even have voice guidance on their GPS? Sounds like Apple is sprinting before it can crawl lol.
Old 01-10-12, 11:52 AM   #51
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
It's because Apple uses Google Maps
So do Android devices, but Android devices have voice guidance... lol

In all honesty I'm very surprised Google lets Apple use their maps. After Apple ****s all over their apps and denies them flat out with no explanation (hence the motivation to create Android), they still allow Apple devices to use their service.
Old 01-10-12, 12:17 PM   #52
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I disagree. I'd rather have a 3G/4G connected GPS device that can display street views or present real time traffic info. But to each their own.
very true, and my atrix gps is deadly accurate.
Old 01-10-12, 12:42 PM   #53
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I know, but the two Google Maps apps are completely different. Google keeps the more advanced features for Android.

I doubt that Google lets Apple use their map service for free. Wasn't there a speculation going around a few months ago that Google wants to "officially" charge license fees for Google Maps integration?

Anyway, Apple also invested in some mapping and navigation firms, I guess they won't use Google's map service much longer.

Google's other apps have to go through the same process as other Developer's apps. If they don't follow Apple's directions and review rules, they're not accepted.
Not sure what example you're referring to but Google's Mail client got kicked recently because it was buggy - pretty embarrassing for a company like Google.

btw, Google didn't create Android - they bought the company in 2005. So you shouldn't pull that card when referring to Apple and Siri
I didn't mean to imply they wrote it from the ground up, but it's advancement and widespread use is largely due to the fact that it was purchased by Google. The draconian type rule that Apple has imposed on their device was certainly a part of the motivation for Google's push of Android and the open source model they employ with the OS.

http://www.electronista.com/articles....is.draconian/

And Apple is notorious for rejecting applications for the most minute problems, with no explanation whatsoever. Some apps make it through, others are rejected. Despite there being a set of guidelines, many devs feel like the process is completely subjective. For example, Google Voice was rumored to be rejected because AT&T didn't want competition on their devices. I'm sure there's a clause that allows Apple to reject any app at any time (as most companies have such clauses), but you'd think they'd be more reasonable.
Old 01-10-12, 03:55 PM   #54
bacon12

Why would Google charge Apple to use its services? Tons of ad revenue would come from it.

If there were a better service I could see it be who beats gmaps?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 04:30 PM   #55
XDanger
Whaaat?

A woman on my bus home from work pulled out her iphone 4 then put it back then her BB and put it back in her pocket, then pulled an iPad from her bag ,played a short song then put it back...
Old 01-10-12, 07:06 PM   #56
Hogrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Street view is nice but I'd rather have a better Garmin unit. Google Maps is ok but nothing beats a Garmin.
If my wife's garminfone had better hardware and software then that would be a great phone to have. The phone part itself along with the Android software sucks but it is a damn excellent GPS device.

Old 01-10-12, 09:00 PM   #57
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
It's not retarded. If you need to download music, books, PDFs, etc, you can use Dropbox and not even have to look at the filesystem. It's really that easy, I do it quite often as I hate having to get out my cord for my iPhone/iPad. And yes, you can access Dropbox on any computer, even Linux. Upload your files there, download them to the phone.

I will say that the iOS navigation system that's built in isn't the best since there is no voice guidance, but navigation still works and gets me where I need to go (I rarely use GPS anyways).
You can do that with GMail! LOL

Now, get to a place (i.e. underground) where you have no internet service. I can still download/upload files to any pc. I know cords are a pain, but there are times you NEED them. With iPhone, when you access a pc, can you download/upload a file without itunes? I can without my HTC software.

No voice guidance with GPS? and they tout Siri so much? Even make commercials about it? ROFL!!!! TeleNav gps FTW!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 09:13 PM   #58
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
You can do that with GMail! LOL

Now, get to a place (i.e. underground) where you have no internet service. I can still download/upload files to any pc. I know cords are a pain, but there are times you NEED them. With iPhone, when you access a pc, can you download/upload a file without itunes? I can without my HTC software.

No voice guidance with GPS? and they tout Siri so much? Even make commercials about it? ROFL!!!! TeleNav gps FTW!
Fair enough. Good thing I'm not out of 3G/Wifi range. Plus it's rare that I really need something on my phone, I always use cloud features more than I do local stuff.

As for the GPS, I rarely use it, so I can't say much.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 09:52 PM   #59
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Screw USB cords. Why not just use Dropbox and download straight to your phone? Cords FTL.
I can transfer files through my wifi...I don't need a stinking usb cord. Take that.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 10:45 PM   #60
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I could too, if I wanted to pay $30 a month for the service. :P

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard