Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-12, 11:49 PM   #13
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I love how your cheeks turn that bright red and your lips pucker when you're angry.
That's not all that puckers up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
The topic of PC Gaming dying- it's discussed to death every year, revived, then discussed to death again, revived yet again and discussed to death and this seems to never end. You've been here long enough you know how many pointless threads we've had on this topic. PC Gaming isn't going anywhere that much is obvious by now. It may be changing but for the foreseeable future it is here to stay.
Yeah, why have discussions, so pointless. Video cards are just video cards, the P&R is just the same P&R discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Now as to steam yes that is great news indeed. You'll not hear me complain one bit about that, and I hope Steam continues to grow, same with Origin. Competition breeds innovation, each company finding some method to one-up the other, which turns into a victory for consumers.
That is what the link was about, hence what this topic is about... Did you even read the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Anyhow I'm sorry to have interrupted your highly intellectual re-hashing of PC Gaming's status. Carry on with your enlightened discussion, I'll say no more.
I'd like hand written apology instead. In cursive please, with a cat stamp on the envelope.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 12:17 AM   #14
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It's nice though that steam is growing that fast.
PR nonsense.

It's funny that you guys slurp this stuff up like it's some amazing accomplishment.

1) When those 5 million users were logged in at the same time, only about 500k were playing games, which means that most of those users were probably those people who let Steam load when they turn on their PC. When 5 million people are actually playing games on Steam at any one time I'll be impressed.

2) 14.5 million Steamworks games were sold in 2011, which would account for Steams growth. That's 14.5 million people who had to use Steam without choosing to. I can't think of a single person who downloaded Steam because of Steam, it's always them buying a game that requires it first.

Who here doubts that if Blizzard or EA or Activision made you register with their service to play any other their games they'd have 40 million users? Origin had 5 million users in it's first few months, why? Because they forced you to use the service...just like Steam.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 12:27 AM   #15
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
That's not all that puckers up.

Yeah, why have discussions, so pointless. Video cards are just video cards, the P&R is just the same P&R discussions.

That is what the link was about, hence what this topic is about... Did you even read the article?

I'd like hand written apology instead. In cursive please, with a cat stamp on the envelope.


Fair enough Roadhog- I guess I've just seen the same discussions hashed out so many times before here... doesn't mean I have any business to shoot them down when they're started. I admit I was wrong. I will send you my hand written apology, written in my own blood in cursive, with a cat stamp on the envelope.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 12:39 AM   #16
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
PR nonsense.

It's funny that you guys slurp this stuff up like it's some amazing accomplishment.

1) When those 5 million users were logged in at the same time, only about 500k were playing games, which means that most of those users were probably those people who let Steam load when they turn on their PC. When 5 million people are actually playing games on Steam at any one time I'll be impressed.
Well if you take the peak played today from the stats page, add it up, you get 698,276 people playing the accounted games at the same time. At that same time there were 4,476,096 people online, which is a decent 15.6% at that given time of people playing games. However, you can't use that to judge game play time as not everyone plays a game for 24 hours straight. Since you had 4,476,096 people on, and 24 hours in a day, you would be able to have 186,504 people playing for one hour at a time. Pretty far away from the 698,276 player peak of today... To say there wasn't 5 million different people that opened a game that day is just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Who here doubts that if Blizzard or EA or Activision made you register with their service to play any other their games they'd have 40 million users? Origin had 5 million users in it's first few months, why? Because they forced you to use the service...just like Steam.
But you do have to register with their service....
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 10:02 AM   #17
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

I love these topics tbh, it's so funny to see different opinions based on what machine they play on...

I play on both console and PC, i tend to use my PC a lot more as i dont just use it for gaming but i do also game a lot more on it also. As long as consoles are alive then so will PC gaming, granted we don't get as many exclusives as we should nor do we get a lot of care and attention to the games developed multi-platform like the console does but hey...Not everyone owns a Porsche or a ferrari but many own Fords....

You see what i did thar ?
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 01:28 PM   #18
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Well if you take the peak played today from the stats page, add it up, you get 698,276 people playing the accounted games at the same time. At that same time there were 4,476,096 people online, which is a decent 15.6% at that given time of people playing games. However, you can't use that to judge game play time as not everyone plays a game for 24 hours straight. Since you had 4,476,096 people on, and 24 hours in a day, you would be able to have 186,504 people playing for one hour at a time. Pretty far away from the 698,276 player peak of today... To say there wasn't 5 million different people that opened a game that day is just silly.



But you do have to register with their service....

My point is there is a difference between concurrent and total users. People are touting this 5 million users mark like it's a lot of people playing through Steam when it's not nearly that impressive for a service that has been around for nearly a decade now.

There were as many people playing WoW and TOR at peak yesterday than the entirety of Steam combined. That's two games, versus the 1,800 games available on Steam.

And no, you don't have to register with Blizzard, or Activision, or EA for all of their games. The only game that forces you to log in to Origin at this point is BF3. Blizzard doesn't have a service like Steam, yet, and Activision games are linked to Steam. If any of these companies decided tomorrow that you could no longer play their games without using their front end they would immediately dwarf Steam.

Growing on it's own would be impressive. Forcing growth by making people use your product to play the games they buy doesn't impress me in the slightest. We might as well be having press releases on how many systems Securom is installed on and celebrate it like it's an accomplishment.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 03:55 PM   #19
ElL33t
Brobama
 
ElL33t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 805
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Way to add some input that has to do with the topic of the thread. Good work.
No Redeemed is right, now one cares. If you like to play computer games then who cares what opinion piece says about computer gaming. I enjoy computer gaming 99% of the time and I never felt in secure as you do about what people say about computer gaming.

I will say this, if computer gaming ever did die, I wouldn't be playing video games any more and I wouldn't really miss it.
__________________
OBAMA 2012
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 03:57 PM   #20
ElL33t
Brobama
 
ElL33t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 805
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
My point is there is a difference between concurrent and total users. People are touting this 5 million users mark like it's a lot of people playing through Steam when it's not nearly that impressive for a service that has been around for nearly a decade now.

There were as many people playing WoW and TOR at peak yesterday than the entirety of Steam combined. That's two games, versus the 1,800 games available on Steam.

And no, you don't have to register with Blizzard, or Activision, or EA for all of their games. The only game that forces you to log in to Origin at this point is BF3. Blizzard doesn't have a service like Steam, yet, and Activision games are linked to Steam. If any of these companies decided tomorrow that you could no longer play their games without using their front end they would immediately dwarf Steam.

Growing on it's own would be impressive. Forcing growth by making people use your product to play the games they buy doesn't impress me in the slightest. We might as well be having press releases on how many systems Securom is installed on and celebrate it like it's an accomplishment.
Blizzard has Battlenet. So far you are required to log into Battlenet to play WoW and SCII. Doesn't bother me at all just pointing out that you have to log into a similar service like Origin.
__________________
OBAMA 2012
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-12, 06:40 PM   #21
MowTin
 
MowTin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

The computer is becoming smaller, lighter, thinner and more mobile. The mouse, keyboard and video card are inevitable casualties of this trend simply because they are big and heavy.

The "PC gamer" wants high fidelity graphics and precise controls. As tech evolves the console will eventually deliver these things. Consider how enormous the gap between pc's and consoles used to be when DOOM was released.

The future is a powerful yet upgradeable console with a a more precise controller.
__________________
i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz | 480 GTX | 3x2GB OCZ Gold | x58 3SLI | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Samsung 226BW | Samsung 4665F LCD HDTV | Kenwood 500W receiver

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 04:11 PM   #22
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,726
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Consider how enormous the gap between pc's and consoles used to be when DOOM was released.
3DO and Atari Jaguar ?

I do kind of agree though as I used to have a 3DO, Doom was not so good, More of a programming fault though, The machine could have handled it.

I remember the gap between the Amiga and PC's when the Amiga was released, PC's were crap unless you had a CRAYII
__________________
2500K 4.7ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 12:57 PM   #23
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Obviously PC gaming is dead.

Body Blows looked awesome on my CRAYII.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.