Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-12, 09:59 PM   #73
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Just dominating their competition.

1. 7 of top 10 video cards are NVIDIA
2. The GTX470 and GTX570 outsold the HD6950
3. The GTX480 and the GTX580 outsold the HD6970
4. The GTX460 sold more than the 6870, 6970, and 6950 combined
5. The GTX560 sold more than the 6870.
6. NVIDIA 58%, ATi 36%
Ok but that doesn't explain why they won't have a competitor out the door soon.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 10:05 PM   #74
shadow001

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:

6. NVIDIA 58%, ATi 36%

I see your march/april prediction for the high end version of kepler just got flushed down the toilet if what's coming out first is indeed the replacement for the GTX560 TI(GK 106), and the real high end part only by the end of the year...That's what i see.

But please, keep burying yourself even deeper as it's fun to watch and you're not even realising that your credibility is now pretty much zero at this point....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 10:14 PM   #75
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:

6. NVIDIA 58%, ATi 36%
DX11 is a 50/50 split... Not too bad for a company 22% smaller.

Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 02:14 AM   #76
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
holy crap long wait....
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 05:52 AM   #77
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Ok but that doesn't explain why they won't have a competitor out the door soon.
We've seen two rumor sites post about Kepler in the last week that "might" be credible: Digitimes and ChipHell.

One said there would competing parts out next month, the other in March or April. If either is true, this counts as "soon" in the years long lifecycle of a GPU's development.

People that cannot wait for their new parts should probably buy a 7970.

For me, there's nothing my 580s or 590 won't run fine, so I can wait a bit to see what the better part is.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 12:29 PM   #78
shadow001

Quote:
We've seen two rumor sites post about Kepler in the last week that "might" be credible: Digitimes and ChipHell.

One said there would competing parts out next month, the other in March or April. If either is true, this counts as "soon" in the years long lifecycle of a GPU's development.

People that cannot wait for their new parts should probably buy a 7970.

For me, there's nothing my 580s or 590 won't run fine, so I can wait a bit to see what the better part is.

The main problem here is that you're still assuming they'll start with the high end part first, when it's becoming more aparent that it'll be the midrange version being released...The replacement for the GTX560 being the first of the "Kepler" series in this case.

The dual GPU GK110 cards and highest end GK 112 single GPU being Q4 2012 or even early 2013, and if true Nvidia just handed the high end GPU market to ATI on a silver platter, and no matter how you cut it, slice it or dice it, that's not a short time period at all...
Old 01-17-12, 12:35 PM   #79
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
The main problem here is that you're still assuming they'll start with the high end part first, when it's becoming more aparent that it'll be the midrange version being released...The replacement for the GTX560 being the first of the "Kepler" series in this case.

The dual GPU GK110 cards and highest end GK 112 single GPU being Q4 2012 or even early 2013, and if true Nvidia just handed the high end GPU market to ATI on a silver platter, and no matter how you cut it, slice it or dice it, that's not a short time period at all...
Sigh.
Again, i have access to info and people you do not as I'm under NDA with NVIDIA.

But also again, I think you and Ninja Prime should buy some 7970s asap! With the high end market for 2012 totally abandoned by NVIDIA, you might as well buy now, buy many!

Everyone else I advise to wait a bit.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 01-17-12, 12:54 PM   #80
SirPauly

Quote:

Maybe, but also maybe at the expense of the sweet spot and mobile, where nVidia is aiming for this time before the big guns are ready. Spend engineering resources on a robust sweet spot offering and then sweeten it with a seamless high end offering when the 28nm matures. In other words, don't make the mistakes of Fermi.

What happened with Fermi was they placed resources on the high-end at the expense of mobile and performance and down sectors and AMD did over-take nVidia in over-all discrete market share.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-12, 12:57 PM   #81
shadow001

Quote:
Sigh.
Again, i have access to info and people you do not as I'm under NDA with NVIDIA.

But also again, I think you and Ninja Prime should buy some 7970s asap! With the high end market for 2012 totally abandoned by NVIDIA, you might as well buy now, buy many!

Everyone else I advise to wait a bit.

It's cool that you have your contacts and insider information you can't reveal, but know this, if april comes along and it isn't the high end version of kepler in retail stores(not a paper launch), then get ready to be roasted alive, as you're the one suggesting people wait a little longer for this "miracle" card that will easily beat the HD7970's in performance by a large margin.
Old 01-17-12, 01:05 PM   #82
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPauly View Post
Maybe, but also maybe at the expense of the sweet spot and mobile, where nVidia is aiming for this time before the big guns are ready. Spend engineering resources on a robust sweet spot offering and then sweeten it with a seamless high end offering when the 28nm matures. In other words, don't make the mistakes of Fermi.

What happened with Fermi was they placed resources on the high-end at the expense of mobile and performance and down sectors and AMD did over-take nVidia in over-all discrete market share.

Absolutely agree on all points, as the volumes sold on midrange and lower end cards far outpace the high end sales to a huge degree, even though the profit margins are much lower per card....It's what pays the bills basically, mainly OEM contracts, even if it doesn't get the press that the high end cards do, wich is mostly for publicity and halo effect.

Though there is the quadro and tesla markets and i wonder how their requirements will shape the overall architecture of the chip, while still not hurting it in terms of straight gaming performance, as even the HD7970 now has built in C++ hooks, ECC memory controlers, larger caches and 1 terraflop of dual precision floating point math, and 3.7 terraflops of single precision math.....Basically capabilities that aren't really used at all as a pure gaming card, but does cost transistor budget and makes the chip larger and use more power too...
Old 01-17-12, 01:47 PM   #83
Rollo

Quote:
It's cool that you have your contacts and insider information you can't reveal, but know this, if april comes along and it isn't the high end version of kepler in retail stores(not a paper launch), then get ready to be roasted alive, as you're the one suggesting people wait a little longer for this "miracle" card that will easily beat the HD7970's in performance by a large margin.
Like I said, please, ignore my lunatic ravings. Buy 7970 tri fire asap! Your 1.5 gtx580s were never meant for 76x14, you need those 7970s right away!

Rig 2:

Old 01-17-12, 02:39 PM   #84
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Check out the vram used here..unless MSI AB is reporting it wrong idk.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1666109
Yeah that is interesting, I wonder if theres some kind of bug involved chomping up Vram...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote