Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-12, 01:21 PM   #49
ViN86

Default Re: 7970 CF issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Dear lord man just give it up. People have issues with sli as well.
Quote:
NVIDIA Focus Group Member
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 07:03 PM   #50
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Dear lord man just give it up. People have issues with sli as well.
That is just a good article. Not only does it inform people there are currently issues on some expensive ATi card, it points out last year was not good for ATi drivers either.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 07:30 PM   #51
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...portunity_lost

I don't think AMD has the resources to properly support their products anymore, but why they would make moves like shifting Makedon to CPU marketing has even me scratching my head.

What has AMD been doing all this time? Did they lay off all the people who write drivers?! The 7970 has been in development for years- why would it launch without a Crossfire X driver and still not have one?!
From that article...

Quote:
Last year, we saw many games launched, many of those were AAA titles, and there were issues with CrossFireX support not being available at launch. In fact, sometimes it took AMD a month or more before CrossFireX was working. Now that Catalyst Control Center 12.1 Preview supports CrossFireX profiles is this issue behind us? Apparently not for the 7970 as we still do not have a CFX driver to put together a CrossFireX review.
Apparently Hardocp is mentally handicapped as everyone else had no issues putting a crossfireX review together...
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 09:16 PM   #52
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
That is just a good article. Not only does it inform people there are currently issues on some expensive ATi card, it points out last year was not good for ATi drivers either.
I had 2 6950's last year, there aren't any issues.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 09:23 PM   #53
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
From that article...

Apparently Hardocp is mentally handicapped as everyone else had no issues putting a crossfireX review together...
Really?
In this thread there are links to PCPerspective, ComputerBase, HardOCP, Techpowerup, and Hardware.FR all report they are angry about the CF drivers on these cards. That's five professional review sites and you're giving us the "nothing to see here" answer?

I heard AMD promised second cards to review sites for CFX reviews and didn't supply them.

Wonder why?

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 01-18-12, 09:30 PM   #54
shadow001

Quote:
Really?
In this thread there are links to PCPerspective, ComputerBase, HardOCP, Techpowerup, and Hardware.FR all report they are angry about the CF drivers on these cards. That's five professional review sites and you're giving us the "nothing to see here" answer?

I heard AMD promised second cards to review sites for CFX reviews and didn't supply them.

Wonder why?

Cough...

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rade...n/14444-2.html

Yeah, crossfire is non existent alright for HD7970's...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 09:42 PM   #55
Roadhog
Resident Alien

I like the hardocp article, but it is flawed in one way. Why didn't they re test with the launch drivers? The review drivers and launch drivers are different even though they have the same build number.

Also, AMD has never stopped releasing 12 drivers a year. Dunno where that came from.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 09:43 PM   #56
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Cough...

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rade...n/14444-2.html

Yeah, crossfire is non existent alright for HD7970's...
The question is whether people who don't get them free like VRZone should buy them for $550 a piece given the problems all these review sites ran into.

Rig 2:

Old 01-18-12, 10:12 PM   #57
shadow001

Quote:
The question is whether people who don't get them free like VRZone should buy them for $550 a piece given the problems all these review sites ran into.

You're the one making accusations about non existent crossfire support for this latest generation of cards when it is there, and VR-zone is one of the oldest and most respected hardware review sites on the net and they got it working just fine.

Basically, don't make conclusions out of thin air with no proof to back it up, and i'm not dismissing other sites having issues, but they're likely not even be related to drivers otherwise VR-zone would problems making theirs work too, and it's obviously working fine at that...

Edit: all hardware sites get their cards for free when reviewing them, so what was the point of that remark exactly?
Old 01-19-12, 01:43 AM   #58
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I like the hardocp article, but it is flawed in one way. Why didn't they re test with the launch drivers? The review drivers and launch drivers are different even though they have the same build number.

Also, AMD has never stopped releasing 12 drivers a year. Dunno where that came from.
guru3d did ok with its xfire..i think they mix vendors too..
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 06:51 AM   #59
Rollo

Quote:
You're the one making accusations about non existent crossfire support for this latest generation of cards when it is there, and VR-zone is one of the oldest and most respected hardware review sites on the net and they got it working just fine.
Nice straw man argument. I never said CF is non existent, I linked to several professional review sites complaining about a lack of driver support for CF, and various problems with it.

Quote:
Basically, don't make conclusions out of thin air with no proof to back it up, and i'm not dismissing other sites having issues, but they're likely not even be related to drivers otherwise VR-zone would problems making theirs work too, and it's obviously working fine at that...
It's obviously not "working fine" when six review sites are complaining about it. If people that benchmark cards for a living every day of their lives and have direct access to AMD have problems, what hope do average users have? Besides the fact that AMD actually told PCPerspective there are problems with it:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...ysis-and-Concl
Quote:
Please keep in mind that we tried more than our fair share of fixes to try and get these errors corrected even to the point of using a completely different motherboard and system. It was all consistent, and it was all repeatable. When we asked AMD about the issues they basically told that since not many people had a pair of these cards to do CrossFire testing yet, these things weren't out of the ordinary
So you're saying people considering buying two or more AMD 7970s should believe your assessment of the situation instead of direct confirmation problems exist from AMD themselves?

Quote:
Edit: all hardware sites get their cards for free when reviewing them, so what was the point of that remark exactly?
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...cf-issues.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL, Hardware Canuck Review Editor
I don't think the issues are widespread.

They have problems with a few games but by no means is Crossfire NOT working.

On the other hand, AMD hasn't seeded reviewers with second HD 7970 cards as promised. That in and of itself says a lot IMO.
So to recap:

1. Seven professional review sites linked to in this thread state there are issues with 7970 CF.
2. AMD themselves says there are issues with 7970 CF.
3. AMD promised review sites multiple 7970s to review CF on them and didn't give review sites multiple 7970s. (although some got them from OEMs)

If I were considering two or more 7970s today, these things would cause me to think twice. AMD clearly launched a product before the drivers were ready. Worse than that, their biggest fansite (HardOCP) has now publicly stated they're not satisfied with the CF drivers for over a year now.

And to you all of this adds up to "there are no issues with CF!". LOL, are you the guy who was supposed to create the 7970 CF drivers and took a vacation instead?

Rig 2:

Old 01-19-12, 12:26 PM   #60
shadow001

Quote:
Nice straw man argument. I never said CF is non existent, I linked to several professional review sites complaining about a lack of driver support for CF, and various problems with it.
Perfect drivers don't exist for both brands, as even now in some games, i still get graphics corruption and the GTX580's have been out for a year, or even the odd blue screen of death and it's related to the video card drivers, and yes i am using the latest drivers available.

Quote:
It's obviously not "working fine" when six review sites are complaining about it. If people that benchmark cards for a living every day of their lives and have direct access to AMD have problems, what hope do average users have? Besides the fact that AMD actually told PCPerspective there are problems with it:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...ysis-and-Concl

So you're saying people considering buying two or more AMD 7970s should believe your assessment of the situation instead of direct confirmation problems exist from AMD themselves?

Well the proof is in the pudding when i get it all set up and start posting benchmarks now is it, and yes i am expecting a lot of variable scaling, and maybe no scaling at all in some games, wich also happends with my current Nvidia setup too....Drivers are always busted and far from perfect from both companies, and i told you before if the perfect driver was possible, both companies would only release a single driver set for the entire lifespan of the video card and be done with it...