Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-12, 01:21 PM   #61
Rollo

Default Re: 7970 CF issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Perfect drivers don't exist for both brands
Very true. However, NVIDIA's are not so bad that they have caused a rash of video card reviewers to write articles about all the problems they're having.
This is a GOOD thing shadow. We want buyers to be informed with good information, not just go out and buy 2-4 7970s only to have their favorite game not run or have no scaling because they're lucky enough to have a 25X16 monitor.

Your attitude of "They should just buy the cards because there are driver issues with some games on other cards!" is very puzzling.

Quote:
Well the proof is in the pudding when i get it all set up and start posting benchmarks now is it, and yes i am expecting a lot of variable scaling, and maybe no scaling at all in some games, wich also happends with my current Nvidia setup too....Drivers are always busted and far from perfect from both companies, and i told you before if the perfect driver was possible, both companies would only release a single driver set for the entire lifespan of the video card and be done with it...
AFAIK you don't have any 25X16 monitors, so you'll only be able to tell us about the games that do/don't work.
(not to mention all rigs are unique , you might not try the same games, etc)

The 7970s appear to have faceplanted on the driver front, on top of not offering enough performance to make someone like me with 3GB GTX580s have any reason to change whatsoever. Even if NVIDIA didn't launch anything this year I'd basically have the same gaming experience as a 7970 CF owner with the added advatages of Physx, more robust 3d, 3d surround, forced AO, and CUDA apps.

And here I was hoping ATi would give me a reason to switch back.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 01:28 PM   #62
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 01:34 PM   #63
shadow001

Quote:
Very true. However, NVIDIA's are not so bad that they have caused a rash of video card reviewers to write articles about all the problems they're having.
This is a GOOD thing shadow. We want buyers to be informed with good information, not just go out and buy 2-4 7970s only to have their favorite game not run or have no scaling because they're lucky enough to have a 25X16 monitor.

Your attitude of "They should just buy the cards because there are driver issues with some games on other cards!" is very puzzling.

AFAIK you don't have any 25X16 monitors, so you'll only be able to tell us about the games that do/don't work.
(not to mention all rigs are unique , you might not try the same games, etc)

The 7970s appear to have faceplanted on the driver front, on top of not offering enough performance to make someone like me with 3GB GTX580s have any reason to change whatsoever. Even if NVIDIA didn't launch anything this year I'd basically have the same gaming experience as a 7970 CF owner with the added advatages of Physx, more robust 3d, 3d surround, forced AO, and CUDA apps.

I have 3 2560*1440 monitors actually, so they're only 160 pixels less in the vertical aspect compared to 30" LCD's that display 2560*1600, and will run them at 7880*1440(bezel compensated)....Is that hard core enough to really test the mettle of a 4 way HD7970 setup?

And since i do own a triple GTX580 SLI setup, heavily overclocked and water cooled, i have a full colection of results from all the games i benchmarked over the past year, so it's a good starting point for comparison....Basically you base your opinion on internet reviews and opinions, while i'll actually have them installed in my system and seeing first hand what they can and can't do...

You and switching back to ATI was never going to happen no matter how good the card would be period....You're too far in love with Nvidia to "betray" them, even more so because you get free hardware from them, so you're hardly impartial to begin with...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 01:37 PM   #64
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Old 01-19-12, 02:00 PM   #65
Rollo

Quote:
I have 3 2560*1440 monitors actually, so they're only 160 pixels less in the vertical aspect compared to 30" LCD's that display 2560*1600, and will run them at 7880*1440(bezel compensated)....Is that hard core enough to really test the mettle of a 4 way HD7970 setup?

And since i do own a triple GTX580 SLI setup, heavily overclocked and water cooled, i have a full colection of results from all the games i benchmarked over the past year, so it's a good starting point for comparison....Basically you base your opinion on internet reviews and opinions, while i'll actually have them installed in my system and seeing first hand what they can and can't do...

You and switching back to ATI was never going to happen no matter how good the card would be period....You're too far in love with Nvidia to "betray" them, even more so because you get free hardware from them, so you're hardly impartial to begin with...
Actually your monitors wont test one of the issues. Have to be 16:10.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 01-19-12, 02:09 PM   #66
shadow001

Quote:
Actually your monitors wont test one of the issues. Have to be 16:10.

You sir are full of **** if the aspect ratio makes a difference at all, as 16:9 is the accepted standard for the vast majority of displays....16:10 displays were produced in the early years but apart from a few models here and there, they've gone by the wayside compared to the massive amount of models using the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Find another B.S excuse.....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 02:34 PM   #67
ViN86

I think this thread has gone off topic. The OP of the thread, states that 2560x1600 monitors experience lack of scaling in CF. The issue only applies to that resolution. As for whether or not it's an issue with 16:10 monitors, we don't know because we haven't seen a test at 1920x1200.

See my previous post: http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost...9&postcount=30
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 03:01 PM   #68
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I think this thread has gone off topic. The OP of the thread, states that 2560x1600 monitors experience lack of scaling in CF. The issue only applies to that resolution. As for whether or not it's an issue with 16:10 monitors, we don't know because we haven't seen a test at 1920x1200.

See my previous post: http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost...9&postcount=30
I agree. My answer was pretty straightforward-the problem seemed to be greatest on 30" 25 x16 monitors, and some specific games. I can't help it he opted to buy smaller monitors, just noted he can't test one of the problems noted by the editors. It's a shame some would rather try to explain away serious issues industry professionals are having than acknowledge them.

Rig 2:

Old 01-19-12, 03:08 PM   #69
ViN86

Quote:
I agree. My answer was pretty straightforward-the problem seemed to be greatest on 30" 25 x16 monitors, and some specific games. I can't help it he opted to buy smaller monitors, just noted he can't test one of the problems noted by the editors. It's a shame some would rather try to explain away serious issues industry professionals are having than acknowledge them.
You did admit that it was only 2560x1600 that experiences the issue a few pages ago in this thread, but in your past few responses you have been using blanket statements regarding CF as a whole. So I can understand how he would have been misled. I was actually confused for a second about whether the issues your posting pertain to CF as a whole or just the resolution in the OP.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 03:33 PM   #70
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
You did admit that it was only 2560x1600 that experiences the issue a few pages ago in this thread, but in your past few responses you have been using blanket statements regarding CF as a whole. So I can understand how he would have been misled. I was actually confused for a second about whether the issues your posting pertain to CF as a whole or just the resolution in the OP.
There are lots of CF issues in play with these cards. Specific games not scaling, 25x16 not working,on AnandTech a CF user couldn't get his cards recognized by Vista!

Rig 2:

Old 01-19-12, 03:42 PM   #71
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
on AnandTech a CF user couldn't get his cards recognized by Vista!
Old 01-19-12, 03:46 PM   #72
Redeemed

Quote:
There are lots of CF issues in play with these cards. Specific games not scaling, 25x16 not working,on AnandTech a CF user couldn't get his cards recognized by Vista!
And SLi is absolutely perfect across the board without any flaws what-so-ever!

Man you're irritating.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote