Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-12, 07:26 PM   #85
Rollo

Default Re: 7970 CF issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Deleting a thread is hiding. Locking a thread is for when a thread no longer becomes useful.
I'd say the thread is useful until ATi fixes it. How would you like to spend $1100 and then find CF doesn't work on your favorite game or at your native resolution?

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 07:33 PM   #86
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I'd say the thread is useful until ATi fixes it. How would you like to spend $1100 and then find CF doesn't work on your favorite game or at your native resolution?
Don't argue with me. Locking a thread does not hide it from Google or the vBulletin search. Continue.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 07:41 PM   #87
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Seriously, how retarded are you? If you buy a gpu before reviews are out, then it's no ones fault but your own if crossfire/sli doesn't work for you.

Most smart people wait till they read reviews to see what does work and does not. They also wait for user feedback. If I had a 2560x1600 monitor, would I have bought 7970's with the BF3 issue? No I would not have. I would have waited until the issue was fixed and stuck with what I had. BUT, here's the kicker, I don't have that problem with BF3, so I had no problem purchasing faster video cards so I can enjoy my favorite game more.

You keep beating a dead horse, it is getting extremely old.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 08:07 PM   #88
shadow001

This one is for you Rollo:

Quote:

Update: I have gotten crossfire to work with the AMD web driver. I was using the cd driver before.

I installed the card with only 1 card physically installed. Once drivers were installed, I added the 2nd card in my PC, powered back up and enabled xfire in CCC.

MSI afterburner screwed my world up, so I had to disable the unofficial overclocking thingy. I was able to get 1125/1575 within ccc, 45% manual fan stable. Overclocking with afterburner in crossfire
can be annoying, I uninstalled it to do stability testing. Any 3rd party overclocking tools would cause me to BSOD. I uninstalled afterburner and sapphire trixx, overclocking only via CCC.

So far all games are showing signifigant scaling. Installation CD driver did not scale in witcher 2, now scales properly with signifigant framerate boost. Testing more. So far this driver seems signifigantly faster
than the cd driver.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=228

And there's more:

Quote:
Yeah i've been using the web driver and latest CAP with 7970 xfire and so far the ONLY game which doesn't utilize the 2nd gpu properly is Batman: AC.

These work and utilize both GPUs with vsync off at 80%+:

Crysis 2
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Witcher 2
Metro 2033
Borderlands
GTA IV + vice city
BF3
DA
DA2
Shogun 2
SWTOR
WoW

So all of those games with complete stability. I'm not sure zerocore works but after leaving a game my 2nd GPU automatically turns off (you can see the gpu % go to 0 in afterburner, and the fan actually shuts off completely, pretty nifty)
This was on a fresh windows 7 install, I installed with the 1/9 web driver. After installing everything (from a system image) I powered down, put the 2nd card in, powered up and then enabled xfire.
I used the CD driver previously, i'm getting big performance jumps in about everything, and xfire works in witcher 2 now (which it didn't before with the cd driver)

So, I need to test more games. Next up is Bulletstorm. So far Batman: AC is the only negative mark with the 2nd GPU doing not much of anything.
I get no instability unless I try to use 3rd party overclocking software, but i've gotten MSI afterburner working again. Cards at 1125/1575 stable, 50% manual fan speed during use.

So how the F (excuse my language) is Batman: AC not supported in Xfire yet? How long ago was it released? Pretty stupid. But everything else for me works, with the web driver and latest CAP
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=246

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras

I still feel like the article is suggesting that crossfire doesn't work at all, but crossfire does work.

I've found 2 games that don't work in crossfire with the 1/9 AMD driver, while a BUNCH do work (posted titles above) after testing last night i'd be interested in finding what specfically doesn't work for them. Now AMD deserves **** for stuff such as not having
a good CAP profile for games like Batman: AC for sure, can't argue that. I think the article leads one to believe the problems are worse than they are.

Happy now that the latest available driver on AMD's website fixes a lot of issues and a new driver is coming in the next few days to fix/address even more issues....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 01:22 AM   #89
shadow001

And here's another crossfire profile release earlier today and what it supports:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Cata...load-2782.html

Quite a long list of supported games that have crossfire support, though some were disabled, so there might be bugs left to sort out in those before being enabled again...
Old 01-20-12, 01:37 AM   #90
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

How about Age of Conan!..er hem
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 02:22 AM   #91
K007

i wish kotor came to aus already :/
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 02:24 AM   #92
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post

Looks decent for an MMO but i'm pretty sure it's not demanding enough to need multi GPU period...

Old 01-20-12, 02:29 AM   #93
MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Looks decent for an MMO but i'm pretty sure it's not demanding enough to need multi GPU period...
You wanna bet?

But ya I play this game..its the only game I will play..i have a bunch of friends online that we do stuff together. But, the lack of attention and focus by the devs on this game...nevermind that sa different conversation

The game engine itself was borked before as the engine caused Crossfire/SLI issues. I have no idea if that has been fixed.

The reason why I ask is my 580 GTX is getting long on the tooth performance wise...(I had a 295 GTX ) before that and they are around the same ball part area...performance wise. Reason I am intereted in crossfire is because my x38 motherboard can only do crossfire.
If I can crossfire 7970s or 7950s ....without issue on Age of Conan, I might just take the plunge...
Corsair 600T Case
Old 01-20-12, 07:41 AM   #94
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
No Hyborean adventures for you Muya!

Didn't NVIDIA have troubles with that one as well? AoC seems to be the game that drivers forgot- their devs must have optimized for Matrox.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 09:38 AM   #95
MUYA

Quote:
No Hyborean adventures for you Muya!

Didn't NVIDIA have troubles with that one as well? AoC seems to be the game that drivers forgot- their devs must have optimized for Matrox.
ya devs suck
Corsair 600T Case
Old 01-31-12, 09:26 AM   #96
Xion X2

No argument that AMD's drivers could be better based on my past experience. I've seen some crazy stuff with them.. the most crazy being them dropping support entirely for my sister's monitor when I built a PC for her one time. She had the 2900XT, and after a driver update she could not even get anything on her display. We hooked up another display and it worked fine. It wasn't the monitor, because we swapped it out on another machine and it still worked fine. The new driver just dropped support for her monitor.

Then I've experienced some XFire scaling issues on my HDTV like I did with the 4890s, as well.

Nvidia's not perfect either, though. Remember G80? Nvidia kept XP users limping along on what was practically a beta release driver for the first 4 or 5 months without releasing a proper driver until R600 came out.

Nvidia's driver support does seem to be a little better, but I've had issues with them both in the past. Just comes with the territory of having so many different configurations for ATi/Nvidia to have to account for.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote