Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-12, 03:47 PM   #37
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Default Re: Steam support SUCKS!!!!

That's make me want to close my Steam account for good.

Oh wait, I just cant!
Accounts cannot be deleted by request

Pretty much like the IRS, when you call to try to close your account with them

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 12:54 AM   #38
LurkerLito

OK my final update for this mess...

My account is now restored. Though the way they handled it was sh*t, and I caution anyone who has a large game list like I do or buys lots of games to avoid steam as much as possible and diversify. I can't believe I'm saying this but SecuROM is better than steam's login BS. Also be very cautious when buying during these steam sales when steam is so overloaded like is usually the case during them. I am now going to avoid steam as much as possible and I am definitely done buying directly from steam from now on.

To summarize quickly, Steam or their payment processor sent bad info to the bank according to the bank, thus leading to them not getting their money. Even though they initially must have sent the correct info at one time when they initially charged the card at purchase since I got my receipt and the game. Well long story short, steam called it a charge back which automatically causes your account to be suspended. Steam won't restore your account unless you get your bank to withdraw that "charge back". Sounds fine and dandy unless because of an ERROR by Steam or their payment processor, the transaction basically will not show up in any form in which the bank can withdraw the non existent "charge back". So you have to get your bank to FAX steam some confirmations that it wasn't fraud. And you get back your account with caveats.

Now we take you to the fun part.
1) Since you can't withdraw a non existent "charge back" they give you 5 days to repurchase the game in question or they'll suspend you again. That's right you paid $2.49 during the sale, but today you pay $9.99. While not really a big deal it still pisses me off I am getting penalized $7.50 for their error, but at least I know it was the last purchase. The biggest deal I have with the repurchase is what follows.

2) Steam doesn't care that it was an error on their part that this whole incident took place. They did not even investigate what the problem might be, nor did they even attempt to explain why they somehow screwed up, nor guarantee you that it wouldn't happen again. BUT they will threaten you that this is a one and only chance, and should any other kind of charge back happen again, your account will be permanently suspended along with all your games. So basically the forced me to buy it again at full price, and neither I nor Steam has any idea why it happened. So every purchase attempt on steam now will be like playing Russian roulette with my account. FUN FUN FUN.

On a side note, I don't think this "bug" is anything easily recreated, I did make several purchases after the incident* that went through fine. I was probably just unlucky that it happened to my purchase, I would guess because the payment processor couldn't handle the load at that particular moment. But then again no one really knows why, but that is my best guess.

*incident - Just to clear things up. The error occurred on 1/1. The account was suspended on 1/11. I made several purchases on and after the error on 1/1 till the account was suspended on 1/11.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler

Last edited by LurkerLito; 01-22-12 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Just to clarify things
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 02:49 AM   #39
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Paypal?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 10:26 AM   #40
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
Paypal?
Yeah I thought about that or third party payment sites supported by steam, but apparently that is not necessarily safe either:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2494874

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
Old 01-21-12, 10:36 AM   #41
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
OK my final update for this mess...

My account is now restored. Though the way they handled it was sh*t, and I caution anyone who has a large game list like I do or buys lots of games to avoid steam as much as possible and diversify. I can't believe I'm saying this but SecuROM is better than steam's login BS. Also be very cautious when buying during these steam sales when steam is so overloaded like is usually the case during them. I am now going to avoid steam as much as possible and I am definitely done buying directly from steam from now on.

To summarize quickly, Steam or their payment processor sent bad info to the bank according to the bank, thus leading to them not getting their money. Even though they initially must have sent the correct info at one time when they initially charged the card at purchase since I got my receipt and the game. Well long story short, steam called it a charge back which automatically causes your account to be suspended. Steam won't restore your account unless you get your bank to withdraw that "charge back". Sounds fine and dandy unless because of an ERROR by Steam or their payment processor, the transaction basically will not show up in any form in which the bank can withdraw the non existent "charge back". So you have to get your bank to FAX steam some confirmations that it wasn't fraud. And you get back your account with caveats.

Now we take you to the fun part.
1) Since you can't withdraw a non existent "charge back" they give you 5 days to repurchase the game in question or they'll suspend you again. That's right you paid $2.49 during the sale, but today you pay $9.99. While not really a big deal it still pisses me off I am getting penalized $7.50 for their error, but at least I know it was the last purchase. The biggest deal I have with the repurchase is what follows.

2) Steam doesn't care that it was an error on their part that this whole incident took place. They did not even investigate what the problem might be, nor did they even attempt to explain why they somehow screwed up, nor guarantee you that it wouldn't happen again. BUT they will threaten you that this is a one and only chance, and should any other kind of charge back happen again, your account will be permanently suspended along with all your games. So basically the forced me to buy it again at full price, and neither I nor Steam has any idea why it happened. So every purchase attempt on steam now will be like playing Russian roulette with my account. FUN FUN FUN.

On a side note, I don't think this "bug" is anything easily recreated, I did make several purchases after the incident that went through fine. I was probably just unlucky that it happened to my purchase, I would guess because the payment processor couldn't handle the load at that particular moment. But then again no one really knows why, but that is my best guess.
That has to be the biggest double back in the history of NVnews...You got bummed and swore never to get bummed again, then after all was sorted, you bend over and part cheeks willingly....good job
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 10:37 AM   #42
|MaguS|

I have a Paypal CC account I use for Steam and only for Steam. 700 titles and 8 years later never had any issue with Steam.
Old 01-21-12, 11:05 AM   #43
ViN86

Quote:
Yeah I thought about that or third party payment sites supported by steam, but apparently that is not necessarily safe either:
That guy said he'd never use PayPal again, but "Click and buy" was the one giving him the trouble.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 11:09 AM   #44
ViN86

Quote:
On a side note, I don't think this "bug" is anything easily recreated, I did make several purchases after the incident that went through fine.

Then we would have gotten another, more angry thread, if you got suspended again? lol
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-12, 12:32 PM   #45
Q

I'm pretty sure these additional purchases came before the account was shut down. He bought the bad game, continued to purchase a few more games on sale, then his account was locked.

If he got his account unlocked, then made the purchases... well, then...

Regardless, there are a lot of really bad attitudes in this subforum.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 01:34 PM   #46
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Regardless, there are a lot of really bad attitudes in this subforum.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 02:02 PM   #47
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
seems like that thread is not about paypal. paypal is fairly safe for steam imo, and you do not have to enter CC info into steam itself.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 09:19 AM   #48
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
That has to be the biggest double back in the history of NVnews...You got bummed and swore never to get bummed again, then after all was sorted, you bend over and part cheeks willingly....good job
Yeah sorry that wasn't clear. The incident didn't occur yet when those purchases were made. They suspended my account on 1/11 over a purchase done on 1/1. I bought several games before the suspension and on the same day that the error occurred. So no there was no double back. I haven't made any purchase on steam other than the last one steam made me make.