Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-12, 09:13 AM   #73
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: Honestly, why iphone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Street view is nice but I'd rather have a better Garmin unit. Google Maps is ok but nothing beats a Garmin.
If my wife's garminfone had better hardware and software then that would be a great phone to have. The phone part itself along with the Android software sucks but it is a damn excellent GPS device.
My only problem with Garmin units is how much of a pain in the ass they are to update (actually having to plug them in, install software, then get the file and then use their software to push the updated maps).

Oh, and the fact that their search is HORRIBLE. The beauty of google maps is that the search is built in at the core of all of their products.

Someone can text me gps coordinates, or a link to their location (generated through google maps) or just the address and I can just click on it and jump right to it in google maps on my phone. I can search the web for places I want to go and then just click their address and it launches google maps... I can actually go to google maps and search and get the same accurate results. Names of weird places like "Crunchy's Bar" in East Lansing MI, doesn't come up on my Garmin unit, but google maps sure as hell had it. Oh and there's the fact that the Garmin interfaces are garbage. Resistive touch and no multi-touch (don't know how you would with resistive)... I can't pinch to zoom, I can't even be at a map (with guidance currently running) and scroll to other parts of the map and then quickly snap back to where I was on the map without it being a super slow interface and loading the "save location" option where it thinks you're manually specifying a location you want to go to.

I really think Garmin would do itself a favor if it just made a very durable, long battery life device running google maps. Their software is being quickly surpassed by Google maps.
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 09:17 AM   #74
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Started to go this weekend and cancel our Tmobile contract and get my wife an iphone 4S but I think we'll wait till this summer and see if the iphone 5 makes it's appearance. I think I'll cancel my phone early for a $100 fee in a week or so and grab a Tracfone or Net 10 phone. No sense in me paying $75 a month for something I rarely use.
Wont be summer... probably fall now.

Technically its the iPhone 6.
Old 01-22-12, 09:39 AM   #75
Hogrider

Then she will wait till Fall.

snowmanwithahat I'm not sure why you are updating like that. I sign into Garmin on the website then plug in the GPS. It tells me if there is an update and I click ok then it downloads and installs it. Takes quite a while on our old Streetpilot C550 (I think that's it).
Never had any problem with the search.
I like their interface much better than Google Maps. I don't care about clicking on links from a text or pinching to zoom or any of that on a GPS device. Leave that for phones and tablets where they belong, just give me an accurate nice interface for directions like Garmin does.
Old 01-22-12, 03:24 PM   #76
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Wont be summer... probably fall now.

Technically its the iPhone 6.
If Apple is smart, they will add a little extra time to the wait and have something better to show than just Siri. Can't wait to see what Apple has up their sleeve though.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 04:32 PM   #77
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well, first there is the iPad 3 - can't wait for that
Same here. My iPad 1 has been an amazing device for reading and late night surfing; it will be my son's first "computer" while I save up for an iPad 3 myself late this year, possibly next year.
Old 01-22-12, 07:52 PM   #78
bacon12

If there isn't a windows 8 tablet that is better I will buy an iPad 3.

Yea I just said that.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 08:47 PM   #79
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
If there isn't a windows 8 tablet that is better I will buy an iPad 3.

Yea I just said that.
I'm curious on how Win8 tablets will be priced and how people will react to it. I'm sure we will get a ton of calls on "how to set it up" at work lol.
Old 01-22-12, 11:13 PM   #80
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I'm curious on how Win8 tablets will be priced and how people will react to it. I'm sure we will get a ton of calls on "how to set it up" at work lol.
I don't imagine much of a difference between it and windows phone 7. Though I don't own a wp7 device so I couldn't say which way it would go.

In any case, intel has changed course and decided to go with an SoC (system on a chip) design which will be more practical for embedded devices than the current atom architecture, so you're literally going to see tablets that will run all of the same apps you can run on a current PC, in addition to having a fully tablet optimized UI.

Honestly I think android is far more interesting though.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-12, 08:12 AM   #81
bacon12

I am looking at windows because of all the application support. Not stupid games, or other frivolous stuff, but things people actually use to make money.

I think there will be some really good tablets, and to be honest price points are only a small factor in my decision to buy. Ipad 3 screen resolution specs are ridiculous, so if there isn't another oem that can match them I will get one. Maybe install win 8 on it as well, who knows.
Old 01-23-12, 10:33 AM   #82
ViN86

iPad 3 specs are only rumors.

Transformer Prime TF700T (new version of Prime) will sport a 1920x1200 10.1" screen. That's an insane resolution.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/CES-2...00T-Hands-On-/

Also, they already started rolling out ICS to their Transformer tablets. Only drawback is no 3G, but that can be fixed via tethering.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 10:39 AM   #83
bacon12

2048x1536 iPad 3, looks like yields will be an issue though and they will be expensive.
Old 01-23-12, 03:51 PM   #84
ViN86

That seems like a strange decision, given that low yields and exorbitant prices could reduce sales.

Of course, they're selling these to Apple fanboys that will pay anything lol. If this rumor turns out to be true, I'll definitely go to the store to check one out.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote