Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-12, 04:47 PM   #85
bacon12

Default Re: Honestly, why iphone?

Honestly I don't know of any true gadget geeks that will be able to deny how awesome a tablet would look at that resolution. I am thinking of doing presentations, and a really well done portfolio I can use as a sales tool, plus having a full os there to do everything else like my estimating, and accounting software.

I hope to see Asus step up to the plate though, or maybe even sony. I doubt I would get much use from iOS.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 04:51 PM   #86
Redeemed

Are you kidding me? That high a resolution on such a small screen?

What's next, the iPhone will tout 2560 x 1600! zOMG IT'LL BE SOOO KLEER!

This whole smart phone craze is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. In my humble opinion, of course.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 06:14 PM   #87
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
No it's not strange at all. It's perfect for development. Just like the Retina display on the iPhone 4 compared to the previous models. It's what Steve Jobs aimed for and I hope Apple keeps this run going! They're also going for this type of doubled resolution for the next MacBook Pros, at least on some models, according to rumors. Some graphical elements in OS X are available in those resolutions for quite a while already.

Compare that to Android where you have to support tons of screens and resolutions, that's annoying.
What does that have to do with what I was saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
That seems like a strange decision, given that low yields and exorbitant prices could reduce sales.
It's much easier to produce small high pixel density screens than larger ones. If the iPad 3 costs as much as an ultra-portable laptop, I don't see the point.

Don't get me wrong, I love high resolution screens. I think it's awesome that they want to use that screen in their tablet, but you cut the size of your sales base when you potentially add $100-$200 to an already high pricetag.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 06:34 PM   #88
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Are you kidding me? That high a resolution on such a small screen?
In OS's with native resolution scaling, it's actually only a positive thing and in no way a negative.

I'm glad to see Android tablets may shift to 16:10, 16:9 is a stupid standard for tablets (and not the best for desktops and laptops either IMO) and 4:3 just isn't practical enough for media and content creation, not that serious content creation is viable on a tablet just yet.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 02:09 PM   #89
ViN86

Yes, if they release the iPad 3 at the same price point, it'd be a win imo. But I'm skeptical.
Old 01-24-12, 08:58 PM   #90
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
The iPad 3 will be a huge success in any case
This.

Funny story, a lot of my co-workers are really anti-Apple . . . yet, they all use iPads and say they are the best thing since sliced bread. :/
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 12:31 AM   #91
mojoman0

yea bought a kindle fire the other day to play around with and after owning an ipod touch for 2-3, you really start to appreciate the polish put into apple mobile devices. you just have to taste the other side to notice. mac hater all my life but the iphone, ipod, ipad are money
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 05:57 AM   #92
Hogrider

I too thought Mac was for people like bob but was surprised how well the ipad works. Now I see why people act like bob.

Old 01-25-12, 10:35 AM   #93
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
yea bought a kindle fire the other day to play around with and after owning an ipod touch for 2-3, you really start to appreciate the polish put into apple mobile devices. you just have to taste the other side to notice. mac hater all my life but the iphone, ipod, ipad are money
My mom has a Kindle Fire and I was really impressed by the device. What about it do you dislike?
Old 01-25-12, 07:46 PM   #94
Hogrider

My wife had an imac that her work gave her (blueberry colored I think it was). I played with it about 30 minutes before I went back to Windows. Hated it.
Old 01-25-12, 09:12 PM   #95
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
This.

Funny story, a lot of my co-workers are really anti-Apple . . . yet, they all use iPads and say they are the best thing since sliced bread. :/
Funny story, my best friend (and motorcycle buddy) has an iphone, his wife does. He bought his wife an ipad for Christmas. It momentarily picks up his wifi then drops it. He calls it his biggest POS he ever bought.

He uses his Dell laptop with no problems.

He also keeps complaining about his iphone dropping calls, but could be his crappy AT&T connection.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 10:25 PM   #96
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post

He also keeps complaining about his iphone dropping calls, but could be his crappy AT&T connection.
or the famous your holding it wrong