Old 01-24-12, 10:54 AM   #529
ViN86

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Dream on...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ly/macbook_pro

Just get the real thing!
Dream on? Check the screenshot, it's not a dream. It's real and it's 100% working now.

Battery / Wifi / Sleep / Shutdown / QE & CI / Mouse & KB / Video out / USB ports.

I'm not going to put OSX on my Thinkpad though. Love that thing with Win7 on it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 10:55 AM   #530
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium nate View Post
99% about to give up ive tried evreything under the sun to run lion in vmware workstation noithing works wtf...
How did you obtain the media? I made my own with my purchased copy of Lion.

Do not steal the OS.
Old 01-24-12, 11:02 AM   #531
ViN86

Quote:
I don't think Apple is overpriced. Every laptop I've owned was at least $4000 and that includes models from Apple and Dell. The most expensive one was actually a Dell.
And it wasn't a gamer laptop or something like that. Just not an entry level model.

And that's also the reason why Apple might seem expensive to someone, they don't have entry level models. That's all there is to it.

Just look at the Ultrabooks. They try to compete with the MacBook Air in quality and style. And the Ultrabooks are similarly priced after Intel "pushed" them (and their prices) so heavily.

And keep in mind, the Ultrabooks are considered high quality products on the PC side of things. The MacBook Air is Apple's starter notebook!
Now the Air is not overpriced imo. It's a pretty powerful ultraportable. But their Macbook Pro's are highly overpriced for their hardware. For $1080, I got a Core i5/HD3000/Quadro NVS 4200m/4GB RAM/500GB HDD Thinkpad. I dropped in 4GB of RAM for $30. A comparable Macbook would be at least $600 more.

For $1000, the only Macbook I could get was less powerful and had fewer expansion options. Also, the store wants to charge you $200 for an extra 4GB of RAM. Haha what year did they get their prices from, 2000? I guess it doesn't matter because you can install it yourself, it's funny though.
Old 01-24-12, 01:47 PM   #532
ViN86

Quote:
$600 is not a lot. And for that you get OS X, a beautiful and slim case, perfect build quality and a decent screen for a TN panel. Also the keyboard and trackpad are great but that's subjective.

I agree about the upgrades but most companies ask way too much for factory installed upgrades. It's not just Apple...
I knew you'd say that. Yes, it is a lot when it's 60% of your budget. My Thinkpad's case is slim, the build quality is superb (magnesium alloy) and I prefer a trackpad. Plus, my TN panel is 1600x900 and perfect for my needs (i.e. text).

And yes, Lenovo wanted $100 for a 4GB stick.

Quote:
Well if you think a $350 Dell with an unofficial version of OS X is the same as the original, then yeah, dream on.

It's like those 500HP+ tuned ricer cars. The powerful engine (OS X in this case) alone doesn't make the full experience. It's still a crappy Japanese car
First off, the version is official. It's a vanilla kernel. It's directly from Apple, with no modifications. Now does it violate their EULA? Yea. But I didn't steal anything. I installed using the software they gave me, and I didn't reverse engineer any of their code.

Second, the only difference between the Dell and the real deal is the external appearance. The experience, which I define as the OS and the performance of the hardware, is the same.

I'd also like to note that this probably isn't the right place for our futile debate slawter, but I don't know where else to put it.
Old 01-24-12, 02:14 PM   #533
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

After having a Dell Vostro laptop with OS X on it for a few months, I will never ever use a "Hackintosh" again. It seems like everytime I did anything, something would break after a simple number of reboots. If I'm somehow forced to upgrade or get something else besides my MBP or a new Mac laptop, I'll go the Windows/Linux route.

Mac laptops will be my choice from here on out if I can help it.

My MBP is a dream laptop and has been perfect since day one. I can run any OS perfectly on it that I want and do anything, minus heavy gaming of course but you knew that.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 02:52 PM   #534
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
After having a Dell Vostro laptop with OS X on it for a few months, I will never ever use a "Hackintosh" again. It seems like everytime I did anything, something would break after a simple number of reboots. If I'm somehow forced to upgrade or get something else besides my MBP or a new Mac laptop, I'll go the Windows/Linux route.

Mac laptops will be my choice from here on out if I can help it.

My MBP is a dream laptop and has been perfect since day one. I can run any OS perfectly on it that I want and do anything, minus heavy gaming of course but you knew that.
Did you use a DSDT? If you didn't, you were doing it wrong.
Old 01-24-12, 04:05 PM   #535
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
$600 is not a lot.

Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 08:39 PM   #536
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
You'll have to excuse Slawter, he's a multi-gajillionaire.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-12, 08:41 PM   #537
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Even I'll have to agree with this.
Old 01-24-12, 08:42 PM   #538
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Did you use a DSDT? If you didn't, you were doing it wrong.
It's been two years, I don't remember. It was the only method proven to "work" on my laptop back in the day.
Old 01-24-12, 09:20 PM   #539
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
It's been two years, I don't remember. It was the only method proven to "work" on my laptop back in the day.
So you based your data on something that's a couple years old and has since progressed?

I see a pattern...

Come on six, things only get better with time. Look at Linux.

What is the exact model of your Dell laptop? Vostro what?
Old 01-25-12, 08:44 AM   #540
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
So you based your data on something that's a couple years old and has since progressed?

I see a pattern...

Come on six, things only get better with time. Look at Linux.

What is the exact model of your Dell laptop? Vostro what?
Oh I agree that things get better with time, but I'm not patient enough to have a half working "hackintosh laptop" for months on end. No point in that garbage.

I had a Vostro 1500, worked well with Ubuntu and Windows 7 but nothing to write home about (being broke ftl). Sold that sucker in about a year and now have the real MBP. Best purchase I've made on a computer IMO.