ViN86

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 10:48 AM   #554
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium nate View Post
would be nice if i could get help from someone one on the internet with this crap besides hearing o just buy it sthu... really sick of this idk yth i want to get this to run so bad i really don't.... i get it installed into vmware workstation 8 like im supposed to and i go to power it on and it hangs at the grey apple logo screen all this crap is really pissing me off
Well the method I posted for VMWare or regular installation requires you to have an Intel CPU. You, nate, need a modified kernel, which comes from those hackintosh distros out there.

Google some sites or go check out Insanely Mac forums. There are a lot of sites out there, just search for "hackintosh amd snow leopard vmware" or some combination of those words.

And if you get frustrated easily, this whole hackintosh thing probably isn't for you. I bought Lion back in July 2011, and I just found a way to install it on my Dell laptop a few weeks ago. So, patience is key. You have to keep taking baby steps until you get to where you want and it can be very confusing and frustrating.
Old 01-26-12, 11:33 AM   #555
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Sounds like the complete opposite of the usual Mac experience. But that's what you get in the PC world
That's just the thing. I like tinkering.

Also I failed to mention that once you learn how to build these hackintosh machines, you only get better. It took me months to get my Snow Leopard installed on my Dell, and more months to get Lion on it. But that was because there isn't a lot of documentation for it.

Getting Lion installed on my desktop only took about 3 hours total, and it's a perfect clone with all hardware working. Even my 5870 has native support. A comparable Mac Pro is about $3000.

EDIT: I like how the Apple store still lists the 5770 as "powerful new graphics cards" hahaha
Old 01-26-12, 12:05 PM   #556
trivium nate

ok thanks and sorry guys
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 01:08 PM   #557
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That's just the thing. I like tinkering.

Also I failed to mention that once you learn how to build these hackintosh machines, you only get better. It took me months to get my Snow Leopard installed on my Dell, and more months to get Lion on it. But that was because there isn't a lot of documentation for it.

Getting Lion installed on my desktop only took about 3 hours total, and it's a perfect clone with all hardware working. Even my 5870 has native support. A comparable Mac Pro is about $3000.

EDIT: I like how the Apple store still lists the 5770 as "powerful new graphics cards" hahaha
Most tinkering isn't worth my time anymore. I'll pay the extra buck to have it work right out of the box, then spend my time on more important things.

But I'm glad you got that working Vin. BTW, how do you like OS X compared to Windows and Linux? How long have you been using it? Are you using it as a primary machine?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 01:18 PM   #558
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Most tinkering isn't worth my time anymore. I'll pay the extra buck to have it work right out of the box, then spend my time on more important things.

But I'm glad you got that working Vin. BTW, how do you like OS X compared to Windows and Linux? How long have you been using it? Are you using it as a primary machine?
It's ok. There are some strengths and some weaknesses. Honestly, I feel like window management (movement, resizing, etc.) in OSX is subpar compared to Windows 7. Maybe touchpad gestures makes it better? But I find moving the windows around and resizing them very clunky. I have come to rely way too much on the Windows 7 automatic resize (when you drag it to the side).

Now, Expose/Spaces is by far superior to anything Windows offers. I have found an Expose clone that works quite well for Windows, and it makes things tolerable. The unix-based command line is another great thing about OSX. I really enjoy using the terminal for most file/search operations. It also has great tools I use like sftp, ssh, gcc, etc. Compiling in unix environments is so much nicer than Windows lol.

So, I'm torn on it. I've been on the road quite a bit lately, so I've been on my Thinkpad mostly. Also, I've gotten into CUDA recently, and my T420's Quadro NVS 4200m is much nicer than my Hackintosh's Quadro NVS 135m.
Old 01-26-12, 01:20 PM   #559
trivium nate

i got snow leopard to work! posting this with safari browser in snow leopard right now! had to change language from russian to english but i got it! woo!
Old 01-27-12, 12:26 AM   #560
trivium nate

well been messing with it for a while and the only things that dont work is video is like choppy like it looks like a slideshow and sound is choppy to not just video sound but sound in general
also its version 10.6.2 right now if i try n update it to 10.6.8 it wont boot into the os gonna mess with it n stuff n see whats up i took a snapshot of it before i did it

Old 01-27-12, 10:18 AM   #561
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
It's ok. There are some strengths and some weaknesses. Honestly, I feel like window management (movement, resizing, etc.) in OSX is subpar compared to Windows 7. Maybe touchpad gestures makes it better? But I find moving the windows around and resizing them very clunky. I have come to rely way too much on the Windows 7 automatic resize (when you drag it to the side).

Now, Expose/Spaces is by far superior to anything Windows offers. I have found an Expose clone that works quite well for Windows, and it makes things tolerable. The unix-based command line is another great thing about OSX. I really enjoy using the terminal for most file/search operations. It also has great tools I use like sftp, ssh, gcc, etc. Compiling in unix environments is so much nicer than Windows lol.

So, I'm torn on it. I've been on the road quite a bit lately, so I've been on my Thinkpad mostly. Also, I've gotten into CUDA recently, and my T420's Quadro NVS 4200m is much nicer than my Hackintosh's Quadro NVS 135m.
The touchpad makes the MBP for me. If it weren't for the gestures, it would not be as easy to use IMO.

I still have to use my Windows 7 VM on my MBP to get my work stuff done, but other than that I do everything else in OS X.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 12:05 PM   #562
ViN86

Quote:
well been messing with it for a while and the only things that dont work is video is like choppy like it looks like a slideshow and sound is choppy to not just video sound but sound in general
also its version 10.6.2 right now if i try n update it to 10.6.8 it wont boot into the os gonna mess with it n stuff n see whats up i took a snapshot of it before i did it
Yea that will happen in a VM. I'd suggest trying a native install, but it won't work with that AMD chip.
Old 01-27-12, 01:01 PM   #563
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

not suprise, they are always behind
Old 01-27-12, 01:02 PM   #564
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
i got snow leopard to work! posting this with safari browser in snow leopard right now! had to change language from russian to english but i got it! woo!
why would you buy a russian snow leopard?